Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's your favourite and least favourite season?

What is your favourite and least favourite season?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite season?

2. 2. What is your LEAST favourite season?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Winter.... Yes, yes, yes! Cold & snow all day season long!.. Autumn...No, i find it frustrating waiting for the cold too finally come.

It's just a transitional period in the year for me that's dull and boring.

Then again i do like to have a walk in the park, through all them rustic smelling leaves :)

Indeed, like I said in an earlier post, the seasons offer much and bring difference, in the Winter I like to go to the local wetlands and see the over wintering waterfowl, in the summer it is a nice walk and a picnic, spring brings the colours into our year, autumn too.  It is the weather that can be a PITA at times, too much rain/not enough, too much wind, not enough (humidity) etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Love Winter. Love Autumn. Spring can be decent if it's cool and I hate Summer because of it's potential to be hot. If we were guaranteed a cool Summer then It wouldn't be so bad.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I like Summer, Winter for their potential extremes in climate (hot/cold respectively). Spring is great for the variation and for the fact that Britain comes out in full bloom.

I really don't like Autumn. Can't really find a redeeming feature (unless it's hot until the end of September and the cold arrives in November)

Posted

I really don't like Autumn. Can't really find a redeeming feature

You can't tell me, with a straight face, that you don't like toffee apples??

• Like 5

Posted

Well I do not like toffee or apples...

...just saying.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well I do not like toffee or apples...

...just saying.

:rolleyes:

Maybe the aroma of delicious sweet roast chestnuts.

• Like 2

Posted

Maybe the aroma of delicious sweet roast chestnuts.

I try not to get that close to the fire

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Yeah I do. I will go down the shop and buy one tomorrow (in the summer :p)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Winter for me is very conditional. When it delivers proper wintry weather it can be very beautiful, especially if it snows around Christmas. When it's an endless three months of mild, rainy junk, like last winter, it can be worse than Autumn and just be a very depressing time of year.

In all honesty, I think Winter 2013-14 was sort of a "back down to Earth moment", despite how horrible it was. Prior to it, we had been blessed with five very good winters, three of which were exceptional (January 2010, December 2010 and March 2013), but whether we like it or not British winters are traditionally mild. This is really why Winter 2013-14 was a return to reality because of the little snow it brought and it shows us that snowy decent cold winters are quite rare for us, granted it was a much milder than average in general.

winter 13-14 was very average for Atlantic island dominated by westerlies. gulfstream etc, snow is a novelty and very rare indeed off our average setup westerlies, did manage a covering on 11th Feb but best it can get

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

winter 13-14 was very average for Atlantic island dominated by westerlies. gulfstream etc, snow is a novelty and very rare indeed off our average setup westerlies, did manage a covering on 11th Feb but best it can get

Yes the only snowfall for me was for about 15 minutes on the evening of February 11. The daytime maxima was about average, but it was the high nighttime minima that made the winter much milder than average.

Posted

Winter 13-14 was as abnormal as December 2010 or Jan 1963. The wettest winter on record, a record low number of frosts, the highest low daily CET, and above all the most cyclonic January followed by the most cyclonic Feb (and any month). Not normal.

Something like 1993-4 or 2000-1 is a normal winter, a mix of mild and cold, dry and wet.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

when in Canada fav season were

Autumn

Summer

Winter

Spring

Only thing I have to get to grips with in the UK is the rain and humidity...otherwise I could be heading back to the prairies for some real weather.

Posted

Am I the only one who cannot stop listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons?

What's funny is he makes Autumn sound absolutely beautiful, when in reality there is virtually nothing (bar one or two things) that I like about Autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Winter is my fav season although it can be the most frustrating when im hoping like other winter lovers for cold and snow etc and looking at the charts day in day out for signs of cold which more often then not come to nothing. But definatly the most interesting season overall imo.

As regards summer its a season which i kind of find i dont really know what i want,when its raining i want warmth and sunshine,when we get dry heatwave conditions after a short time im almost longing for the rain again. Dont mind heat for a few days but it quickley does my head in. Humidity is something i especially dislike about summer.

Spring is my least fav season overall -i always find my interest in the weather wanes somewhat during the spring months but returns later in the summer. Maybe im all weathered out by the start of spring after the winter and as winter is my fav season and the most interesting imo the climax for me has been reached and its downhill after that.

My least fav time of the yr is May/june ,May i find a really boring month ,the days as we get into June just seem never ending and with most of the summer still to get through.

I love Autumn which is my second fav season,I know weatherwise its probably the least interesting season overall with a lack of extremes especially the first half but i like that feeling of another winter approaching,the anticipation,that bit of a chill in the air, the colours on the trees etc,i particularly like the end of Oct,Halloween,the smell of dead leaves,the nights closing in rapidly.

• Like 2

Posted

Favorite is Winter, closely followed by Summer. Can't stand Spring or Autumn unless they have extremes in terms of temperature. Love the continental climate, hot summers, cold winters and Spring/Autumn barely existing.

• Like 1

Posted

Favorite is Winter, closely followed by Summer. Can't stand Spring or Autumn unless they have extremes in terms of temperature. Love the continental climate, hot summers, cold winters and Spring/Autumn barely existing.

I'm like that. I prefer extreme temperatures - whether it's really hot or really cold, I don't care. Moderate temperatures, on the other hand can do one. They're horrid!

• Like 1

Posted

I like the autumn  best.. it starts of warm in September and  very mild into October then later in October  the nights draw in and  the winters coming..

My least favourite. is the winter.. I don't mind the cold  and frosts, if we get that kind of winter.. its the gales I hate.  50mph winds and howling rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Am I the only one who cannot stop listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons?

What's funny is he makes Autumn sound absolutely beautiful, when in reality there is virtually nothing (bar one or two things) that I like about Autumn.

I listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons quite a lot myself, and have done since I was a young child. I'm not generally a big fan of the orchestral music from the Baroque period but this has always been a stark exception.  I think the "descriptive" nature of the music is primarily what makes it stand out from most of the other music from that period.

Much of the music makes me think of particular weather types or weather events, but they often don't match the poems that Vivaldi based his music on, e.g. I associate the start of the third movement of "Winter" with a sunshine-and-snow-showers type of easterly, the second movement of "Spring" with an out-of-season snowfall, and the second movement of "Autumn" with hazy sunshine by day and cool misty nights, characteristic of clear anticyclonic spells in autumn.  But the image that "Summer" gives me (a thundery breakdown at the end of a Spanish plume event, with the thundery downpours gradually developing in the first and second movements, and then big thunderstorms in the third movement) does match the associated poem quite well.

In the case of Vivaldi's Four Seasons I don't really have a favourite season, unlike in "real life" where I find that the plus points of spring and summer generally exceed those of autumn and winter.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

I love winter, theres not many things more amazing than being out at night while its snowing! Seeing massive flakes in the streetlight, and i remember days when i was at school i would be standing at the window just begging for snow to fall just so we could have a day off!

Can also remember religiously checking the met office website for the "Heavy Snow" symbol! Back in the days before i discovered the magical place of Netweather! 

However

Summer for me is the best, hot and long days, and of course thunderstorms! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Summer deffo the best but swiftly followed by spring as you've got all the good stuff still to come. Plus spring has a lot of interesting variety and ever increasing light.

Autumn - bah, my least favourite. Leaves look nice but otherwise its just decay of everything - light, temperatures, plants, fun, freedom of outdoors etc.

Winter beats it as you can get exciting snow and such - plus just after it follows spring!

• Like 2

Posted

I enjoy all four seasons for different reasons. However, Summer is my favourite. I love sun and warmth, and there's also the added extra of thunderstorms.

Depending on the actual weather, either Spring, Autumn or Winter can be my least favourite. A snowy, cold Winter would rank ahead of a dull, cloudy Spring, but a sunny and warm Spring would beat a snowless Winter.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Fave Spring, least fave Winter although I enjoy aspects of all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Every year im enjoying Summer more and more and disliking Winter as such too. Really only like Winter if there is lots of snpw. Dont mind a few dark nights in the festive run up to Christmas. Otherwise its just an unsocialable, annoying time of the year. I love getting out and about so much more freely at this time of year. Just had a beach BBQ tonight. Couldnt ask for anything better on a warm, summers evening and its still light at 10pm. :)

• Like 2

Posted

I think autumn is underrated. A late season heatwave, an early season snowfall, first frost of the season, dewy mornings, sunshine catching trees whose leaves are changing colour.

Yeah, but most Autumns are nowhere near that pleasant.