Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Continuous thunder sounds for 30 minutes this morning?

Good morning all...

I was moved to join up on this forum as I woke up this morning at around 5am to the sound of thunder which was nice. I expected it to stop after a few seconds but it just went on and on, for around 30 minutes with absolutely no break in between, just a continuous rumbling.

I could not see any lightning and there was actually very little rain.

I have not experienced this before and was very curious to know what it was?

Some articles refer to 'rolling thunder' but does this last for 30mins uninterupted?

Many thanks..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hi there, welcome to netweather!

what your describing is a classic example of an active elevated thunderstorm. A mixture of daylight and thick mid-level cloud means that despite being electrically active, very little or no lightning is visible, but the thunder is still audible...We had a good example of this on 28/6/12 with an strong elevated thunderstorm giving a continuous 'roar' of thunder for over 20 minutes simply due to the fact that there were lightning discharges every couple of seconds even though little lightning was visible..

hope this helps

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

We heard a few distant rumbles from just such an elevated storm (above mid-level cloud) this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

"Multicell"  thunderstorms feed of each others downdraughts and keep the thunder and lightning going for a good while providing the atmosphere has enough instability. That was what the storms over us were this morning. Because we are in a valley here, the old saying was that the thunderstorms were getting stuck in the valley because of the hills and moving round and around . Utter nonsense!! A few tiny lumps on the landscape such as the Cotswolds and Malvern are certainly no deterent to thunderstorms towering tens of thousands of feet into the sky!!!  :closedeyes: So this saying was what I was told by uneducated people [Grandparents I think] when I was very young, but the truth was it was " Multicell" Thunderstorms which was why thunder and lightning kept going on and on for a long time!

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hello... Mr Happy Hippy Dad what's your Location?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

"Multicell"  thunderstorms feed of each others downdraughts and keep the thunder and lightning going for a good while providing the atmosphere has enough instability. That was what the storms over us were this morning. Because we are in a valley here, the old saying was that the thunderstorms were getting stuck in the valley because of the hills and moving round and around . Utter nonsense!! A few tiny lumps on the landscape such as the Cotswolds and Malvern are certainly no deterent to thunderstorms towering tens of thousands of feet into the sky!!!  :closedeyes: So this saying was what I was told by uneducated people [Grandparents I think] when I was very young, but the truth was it was " Multicell" Thunderstorms which was why thunder and lightning kept going on and on for a long time!

Yes i have heard that saying many times in the Dales round here, Such as "the storm is trapped in the Valley..!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Grandad said to me too about thunderstorms following the Warwickshire Avon valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Grandad said to me too about thunderstorms following the Warwickshire Avon valley.

An old saying around here was that thunderstorms were more frequent in the Trent valley because they were attracted to the power stations.

Posted

An old saying around here was that thunderstorms were more frequent in the Trent valley because they were attracted to the power stations.

:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The "valley" saying holds here too, often heard it said that storms track along it (when we get them that is).

While storms being 'trapped' or 'guided' by valleys may sound an old wive's tale, these simplistic ideas and observations may actually be based upon a grain of truth as topography and also urban heat islands are well known as factors in formation, frequency and severity of storms as shown by studies worldwide.

Posted

sadly not true TM. The Trent valley has a high number but due to other factors with power stations unlikely to play any real part as far as I am aware. Cloud does develop from power stations but it is more usually in the grey overcast Sc or St set up with an inversion where the heat and moisture punch through but then dissipate or are blown down wind. This can give very light drizzle/rain or even snow in some cases. I stand to be corrected though if anyone can find any scientific article that shoots me down!

• 3 years later...

I had to reply , right now I'm 5 minutes into a continuous thunder rumble and went online because I thought it was crazy weird, never experienced it before .

Seems its rare but at least the world's not coming to an end haha

It's really humid, muggy and as you described clear blue sky mostly with high cumulous clouds off in the distance , seen a couple of flashes in last minute and rumbles turning to more thunder clasp

Oh I'm in Essex and its19:16pm 28th may 2018

I have to say the continuous ominous rumbles ...it's fantastically atmospheric excuse the pun

Also guys I'm not sure if you're interested but last night there was a thunderstorm of quite epic proportions and I managed to record the loudest thunderclap I have ever heard . I was using my new phone with 3d recording  (honestly i didnt even know i had it) and if I playback using headphones (suggestion by the phone was 'you have recorded in 3d why not use your headphones for full effect')and if i made you wear them to listen  I GARENTEE you would jump , just like I did , when the clap and explosion of sound occurs, I'm ashamed to say I swore like an old fisherman's wife afterwards at the time of recording because it truly scared the s@#t out of me but the point is its is a SUPERB recording.

I'd be more than happy to upload it if you all wanted to hear it , I hope I can edit out my comment afterwards as its a good 30 seconds after it explodes with sound. I said "that was the loudest f#&£ing thunderclap ive EVER heard!" so it's a tad embarrassing but I think when you hear just how loud and sudden it was you would forgive even this, yes it's THAT good!.

I played the sounds and video back to my mum with my phones own headphones plugged in  and she properly jumped! I thought I was going to cause a heart attack hehe

Anyhow let me know people

Posted

Hazed. Please put your location in your profile - gives the rest of us a clue about what the weather is like where you are.

Here in west London, it's going bonkers. Almost continuous crackles of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Social media is now blowing up because the storm in London has affected ITV's live broadcast of britains got talent 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not a sound here in the pennines,yet another lovely warm,dry 'summers' day!

• 1 year later...

I'm in Singapore I heard this strange continuous thundery sound too. It lasted a good 10mins! I was a bit concerned and started googling to find out what it is. No rain, nor any sight of lightning. It's also a very humid night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.

Was quite puzzled reading this thread, wondering how there could have been storms today with the pressure so high (not to mention it being the middle of winter). Then I saw the date...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just found this forum looking for an answer. We just experienced about 20 minutes of continuous rumbling with no break. Amazing stuff! First time in 49 years I've seen it. A cold front came in fast, all hell broke loose and the rumbling started just as it was passing over then continued, actually it's still going on. 

I live in Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada by the way.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Appologies Blake T, i had rather hot curry which played havoc with my bowels that day.!! Thunderpants.

• 1 year later...