Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted

Not posted for a while... Good storm yesterday morning, betwee. 00:50 and 01.30 this morning there was a monumental hail storm with 41.9mm rain in 30 mins... Happy days:)

• Like 3

Posted

Yeah I just put it on for today. Should of put it on Friday Night. Kicking myself.

Good chance for you there today Will, upper trough moving in later could enhance showers for Devon, S Wales especially SW Wales, probably more North Devon for the better cells but reckon you'll see something.

Posted

Lovely day here, sunshine, warm, a few clouds but its breezy so they're passing by quickly. Rain forecast this afternoon - can we make it 4 days in a row for stormy activity??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

huge towers building all around me, lets hope its 4th day lucky and we get a good storm i feel more confident that i am in the level 1 zone, day off so radar watching if anything kicks off i might have a drive out 

I'm also lucky enough to have the day off and I've missed everything the last few days so will be chasing from the word go, fingers crossed for a tornado.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Good chance for you there today Will, upper trough moving in later could enhance showers for Devon, S Wales especially SW Wales, probably more North Devon for the better cells but reckon you'll see something.

Yeah N Devon looks better with the current wind direction. But, lets see. As always check the webcam.

• Like 1

Posted

Little off topic I realise but this thread may get rather quiet after today for a while as I got to say looking at the charts the weather really is looking good for a while (Still in awe at the armageddon scenario of last night in Germany)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I'm also lucky enough to have the day off and I've missed everything the last few days so will be chasing from the word go, fingers crossed for a tornado.

i might head upto to chop gate and see what happens its a great view from there 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yeah N Devon looks better with the current wind direction. But, lets see. As always check the webcam.

You're asking for big trouble by using your IP address as a direct link, even more so by pasting it in to a public forum.
  • Like 3

Posted

Last chance of storms for the UK today.  The very high levels of moisture have exited the UK.

The high tropopause which allows storms to build to very high levels has come down as the low pressure to our west moves in.

On the other hand we have some quite steep mid level lapse rates moving into the UK and a some surface based instability.

Forecast SkewT's show a bit of a cap at 800hpa which relaxes as the day goes on.

500hpa charts show some vorticity advection moving across the UK.

NMM suggest that the cooler air aloft might be behind that vorticity advection.

We should however note the presence of a low level jet  (925hpa winds stronger than 850hpa winds)

Any strong updraft could lift that low level vorticity.

There is also some very dry air coming in aloft which would help to enhance any convection.

Over all there is a risk of some heavy showers with low tops reducing the risk of lightning. The low level vorticity suggests a risk of weak tornado development. Upper level wind shear will be leaving the UK, but there might be enough for an isolated mesocylone towards the south and east of the shower boundary.  Although the Birmingham tornado developed out of environment with low tops and a low level jet the temperatures and dew point that day were a lot higher, so risks are likely to be small. Wales through to East Anglia and northwards most likely to catch a shower.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

i might head upto to chop gate and see what happens its a great view from there 

The B1257 ....love that road! The thunder would sound good around there echoing around the valleys. I'm hoping I don't have to travel to far today as I've spent a lot on petrol money from chasing recently. Anyone know if Nick F produced a storm forecast for today?

Posted

I shall keep my eye on it, might have to look into getting something like that, though it seems i now need a new AWS, after the second storm on Saturday morning the poor thing lost its life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

This is the video of the tornado last night:

https://www.facebook.com/bbcnorthwesttonight

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning@all

Sadly the death toll in Germany has risen to 6, mostly people who were buried under fallen trees.  :closedeyes:  Although I did voice my concerns twice in this forum about the impending dangerous setup it came alot worse and more violent and further south/ east than expected. That is what makes forecasting such a tricky art.  Railway and bus transport are still disrupted up north, cleanup is in progress. There will surely be some more news during the course of the day. Right now I am checking out the charts for my region, todays the day....

Ralph

Cheers @ Brickfielder for your insight, very conclusive.  UK and continent weather may have some more surprises in store for today

Edited by Generalelectrix
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

You're asking for big trouble by using your IP address as a direct link, even more so by pasting it in to a public forum.

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. The IP changes later today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Showery activity clearing away northwards, sun should be out soon to help build a bit of heat up. Looks like a trough moving NNE over southern Ireland stretching across to Pembrokeshire.

post-9615-0-95104100-1402395567_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I'm gonna forecast an isolated but very large cell plopping itself unexpectedly over the southeast, surprising everyone an making for some spectacular photography.

And if it doesn't happen I'm gonna draw some lightning with a biro and take photos of that.

I expect a gold award if I am correct and to be promoted to weatherman of the year.

:-)

• Like 4

Posted

I'm gonna forecast an isolated but very large cell plopping itself unexpectedly over the southeast, surprising everyone an making for some spectacular photography.And if it doesn't happen I'm gonna draw some lightning with a biro and take photos of that.I expect a gold award if I am correct and to be promoted to weatherman of the year.:-)

I've just updated my forecast to a supercell, no wait two supercells - travelling in opposite directions and colliding over Woking to make a HYPERCELL - with rotation on all 3 axis (which doesn't exist yet but will by tonight).I thank you all. Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 3

Posted

Sorry for late reply!

How many FPS are you getting on it? Locally I get about 5 FPS.

it depends on a few factors, ~ mainly upload speed and (pre-broadcast-processing) If you let your computer do most of the processing you need less upload speed. ~ reversal of this situation is true. (Currently alot of convection showing up)so I set it up to 25FPS I think now.. http://www.justin.tv/solartornado

Edited by ancientsolar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

I've just updated my forecast to a supercell, no wait two supercells - travelling in opposite directions and colliding over Woking to make a HYPERCELL - with rotation on all 3 axis (which doesn't exist yet but will by tonight).I thank you all.

LOL I think we are becoming a bit desperate due to lack of storms.  I am lucky to live in a place that does not experience disruptive snowfall or floods, or heat (and I have lived in hot and cold countries and weather in my area really is not extreme at all). However due to storms always tracking either side of me, I think I really have picked the wrong place. I found myself having a sudden urge to relocate to Belgium or Germany, places I have not previously considered living in... or even Norfolk or the Midlands!

I'll check on Woking later...

Edited by cloudsabove
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Sorry for late reply!it depends on a few factors, ~ mainly upload speed and (pre-broadcast-processing) If you let your computer do most of the processing you need less upload speed. ~ reversal of this situation is true. (Currently alot of convection showing up)so I set it up to 25FPS I think now.. http://www.justin.tv/solartornado 

Link not working as. 404.

Posted

Just for further reading:

When two hypercells collide (like what happened in Woking on 10th June 2014) it can create an ULTRACELL, with inverted lightning and vacuum clouds.

Sometimes (where conditions allow) two or more ultracell storm systems can collide to form a MEGACELL. This storm system brings an advanced risk of micro-hurricanes - which are only the size of a chip, but have magnetic winds which spin in two directions at once.

These storms are quite rare though, and have only occurred once - and that was over Woking in June in 2014.

(From Wikipedia I think)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27776189 Not so lucky for the 6 who died...

Unfortunately not, but damn, I wish we could get something like that here. Some lucky people got to see similar sights in June 2012 of course. Seeing things like that makes it really hard for me to even care about  thunderstorms here.

• Like 2