Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Real quick question

Posted

NE Spain (costa bravo) or Corfu - Greece

Where is more likely to see some good juicy thunderstorms (preferably night time) out of these two in the first couple weeks of July?

Please remove this if needed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Costa Brava is SE Spain.

I would say that storms are more likely in both areas as the season starts to cool down, so September onwards.

Having said that you'll get cracking storms in July and August of the conditions are right.

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

It's pretty unlikely you will see a thunderstorm in either of these locations in July, however, a thunderstorm is more likely in Costa Brava :)

Posted

For what it's worth:

I saw quite a few thunderstorms on the Costa Brava when I stayed there in 2000, including one of the best storms ever on the train back from Barcelona - a real day-into-nighter with lots of fork lightning striking the sea. I was back there the following year but no storms this time (late July/early August both years). No thunderstorms in Corfu either when I visited in late May 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Incorrect, it is NE as per original poster.

July is the driest month at both locations, but Costa Brava is wetter on average so might be the better bet.

Of course it is! Not sure what I was thinking!

But yes, I think you'd be more likely to see them in Costa Brava due to the mountains, BUT you can get some right crackers coming over from Albania in Corfu.

I think you'd me more in luck if you went in September or October for both destinations.

Edited by Lauren

See my post #8 in thread  'Your best unexpected storms'.

The Pyrenees, rising to over 3000 metres in places can help to throw up some real bramas of storms both north and south of the border and as far as I am aware there is more convective rainfall in the summer months in the Costa Bravo and southern France during the summer months than what there is in Corfu.

Posted

See my post #8 in thread  'Your best unexpected storms'.

The Pyrenees, rising to over 3000 metres in places can help to throw up some real bramas of storms both north and south of the border and as far as I am aware there is more convective rainfall in the summer months in the Costa Bravo and southern France during the summer months than what there is in Corfu.

Agreed Mike: witnessed a fantastic storm when I visited Donostia many years ago.(late June)