Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Summer8906 said:

Still pitch-dark at 7.20pm here, if it's cloudy - as tonight.

Hard to believe that this time next week it'll be broad daylight!

Sadly that will be true..☹️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

To my untrained eye, nature looks like it’s lagging behind here also.

There are two cherry blossom trees here that seem to bloom earlier than the others. They started to bloom a few weeks back but never really got going and have now died off by the looks of it. The other trees haven’t even attempted it yet.

Cherry generally not out here - April is typical. Plum is now past its best, so we're in a bit of a "blossom lull" at the moment before the main peak during April.

Only comes out in March in exceptionally mild years, such as 2014, 2020 and 2022.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
22 hours ago, Nick L said:

One grumble about the clock change this year is that I'm working day shifts over the weekend, an hour less in bed for me!

I find I'm getting up very early at the moment due to the very light mornings, so I think my body clock is already on BST.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
6 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Still pitch-dark at 7.20pm here, if it's cloudy - as tonight.

Hard to believe that this time next week it'll be broad daylight!

Having said that, darkness is coming quite suddenly at the moment, with a rapid transition from light to dark - typical I believe of the equinox. Even while still on GMT, I was struck how light it was earlier, between 5 and 6. Almost as if the clocks had gone on already.

Interesting point you make there.  Did some research and you're right, twilight is shortest around the equinox.  It's slightly longer around the December solstice but substantially longer around the June solstice.  The sun follows quite a shallow curve overnight and spends the entirety of it's time above -18° in the UK - night never gets darker than astronomical twilight in the UK in June and even nautical twilight (>-12°) further north.  Above around 60°N civil twilight is the darkest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I find I'm getting up very early at the moment due to the very light mornings, so I think my body clock is already on BST.

Light mornings play havoc with my sleep patterns, oh well, only another seven months to endure.

• Like 2

Posted

Last of the 'dark weekends' of the season for another 5 and half or so months.. Early October sees sunset around the same time, but oddly I don't notice the darkness as much in October as March - probably because it is usually much milder.

Just another 6 evenings to go and than bang we are thrown into the 'lighter half' of the year, on clear evenings the light lingers after 8pm - and evenings become more usable for outdoor activities. 

The next week marks for me the last of the winter state of mind, and its then full on spring mode.. a major shift in pschye takes hold and thoughts suddenly turn to summer. Always feels strange to think we are soon closer to the Summer solstice than the Winter solstice, christmas doesn't seem that long ago.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Usually each year, its fun to see the shade receding in the garden and the sun getting higher. This year? I wouldn't have a clue where the shade or sun is at because this cloud just won't die. Its the cloudiest period of weather i think i have ever lived through. Truly depressing.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, SunSean said:

Usually each year, its fun to see the shade receding in the garden and the sun getting higher. This year? I wouldn't have a clue where the shade or sun is at because this cloud just won't die. Its the cloudiest period of weather i think i have ever lived through. Truly depressing.

Amen!!!

Posted

Yes this March feels a very cloudy dull one so far, we had a couple of blue sky days but mostly its just been very dull, and the rest of the week is looking very dull indeed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Being as I want/need to get an early night, (yes folks I’m at that age where 21:00 is the new midnight! 🦉🛌💤💤💤) I’m currently in the process of twizzling all of the clocks on one hour, (Spring forward, fall back) as we prepare to say farewell to GMT, and hello to BST for another 217 days. 

Ahhh well… Another hour closer to autumn. 🍃🍂🍁🍄🎃👍🏻

Could contain: Clock, Analog Clock, Wall Clock, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Puck, Rink, Skating, Sport

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A wintry start to British Summer Time!

The polar opposite to Sunday 29th October 2006, if anyone can remember that day.

Still, hopefully the cloud will lift later and we can enjoy the extra daylight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Within a week the Sun has travelled 2° northwards.  The land of the midnight Sun is rapidly expanding in the northern hemisphere and the Sun climbs higher in the sky by around 0.3° every day.  Meanwhile the Earth recedes away from the Sun and begins to slow down, reaching it's maximum distance from the Sun in early July.  This elliptical orbit means that summer in the northern hemisphere is longer than summer in the southern hemisphere by a couple of days.  The length of a solar day decreases to a minimum around the equinoxes (23 hr 59 min 43 s) and will increase again around the June solstice to 24 hr 12 s.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Sunset now around the same as early-mid Sept, but unlike in September, it can and often is accompanied by cold conditions - take today current temp 5.4 degrees, in September often temps will be hovering well into the teens at this stage, and even clear skies don't bring a marked drop in temps until well into the night. Rare to want to sit out on a late March evening, but often still do so in mid September.

• Like 3

Posted
On 20/03/2023 at 08:55, SunSean said:

I really hope this isn’t a carbon copy of spring 2020, only this time it remains dull until early June lol.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I quite like the feel of a higher and more potent sun...for about a week. Then I start sweating when walking in it and just wish it could be December again.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I quite like the feel of a higher and more potent sun...for about a week. Then I start sweating when walking in it and just wish it could be December again.

I often sweat walking in December these days whether it's sunny or not!! 😬

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Don said:

I often sweat walking in December these days whether it's sunny or not!! 😬

I'm ok from October-Feb/Mar but as soon as the sun gains some altitude I start to sweat. It's more the intense feeling of sunlight that does it rather than the temperature. I can sit in 30C and not sweat a drop but as soon as the sunlight hits me it pours out!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Love the light evenings but really dislike the dark mornings again, which will last for a couple of weeks.  I much prefer light mornings to light evenings!  I just wish it would get warmer - it's still too cold to hang around in the garden for long periods.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, RJBingham said:

A repeat of last summer would do me very nicely 👍 

Without the 40C heat spike it would be acceptable.

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Don said:

Without the 40C heat spike it would be acceptable.

Fair enough, 39c it is then ☀️😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
23 hours ago, CreweCold said:

We are in that sweet spot for me that lasts until middle of April, after that I burn if I use no protection, equally late August to mid September is the other sweet spot - that one though is often far warmer and muggier and humid and generally not as comfortable. This is the best time for outdoor activities I say without working up too much of a sweat. Its a short window.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1