Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Don said:

Without the 40C heat spike it would be acceptable.

I’d personally like some storms

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Fair enough, 39c it is then ☀️😁

I would be happy with 29C as a maximum in summer and hamsters might fly!! 😬

18 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I’d personally like some storms

Yes, they break down heatwaves!!

• Like 2

Posted

Did British summertime last 2 days and the clocks went back again yesterday evening? What a dull depressing low light day, curtains drawn early, no light at all today - cloud down to valley level. Miserable!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 28/03/2023 at 20:22, damianslaw said:

Did British summertime last 2 days and the clocks went back again yesterday evening? What a dull depressing low light day, curtains drawn early, no light at all today - cloud down to valley level. Miserable!

It's definitely one of the dullest first weeks of BST that I can remember. Monday was OK, and had a distinctly spring-like atmosphere with good daylight well into the evening, but pretty much every other day has been dull. But it does look like this will be the second-wettest March of my lifetime, and one of the dullest, so an exceptional(ly bad) month.

I suspect that we will notice a real difference next week.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 27/03/2023 at 21:40, Don said:

I would be happy with 29C as a maximum in summer and hamsters might fly!! 😬

Yes, they break down heatwaves!!

... unfortunately typically followed by cloudy, cool Atlantic weather.

I don't like excessive heat, and do like good storms - but I much prefer the thundery outbreaks of the 6 August 1981, 25 July 1984 or 7 July 1989 type, i.e. a thundery low moves in, hangs around for two or three days, then drifts off to be replaced by a rebuild of the Azores high and somewhat cooler temperatures.

The July 2017 storms were impressive but the price was an appallingly dull and wet second half of summer!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

It's definitely one of the dullest first weeks of BST that I can remember. Monday was OK, and had a distinctly spring-like atmosphere with good daylight well into the evening, but pretty much every other day has been dull. But it does look like this will be the second-wettest March of my lifetime, and one of the dullest, so an exceptional(ly bad) month.

I suspect that we will notice a real difference next week.

Yes hoping it won't be too long before the first spell of sunny dry weather that makes sitting outside comfortable surfaces. On average such a spell tends to happen before the middle of April, would be good if this coincides for April. This weekend won't deliver, but perhaps next weekend will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

getting to the point in the mornings now...where it is pitch black when i leave on my morning walk and almost fully light when i get back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Amazing how quick the changes are at this time of year.  The subsolar point is already over 8° north of the equator.  Latitudes north of 64°N will now never experience true night until early September.  This "twilight" circle as I like to call it (analogous to the arctic circle in terms of 24 hour sun) will extend southwards until the June solstice, reaching a maximum southerly extent of around 48.6°N.  Regions north of this will never see the sun dip below -18° above the horizon, meaning astronomical twilight lasts 24 hours for at least part of the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Evening everyone. 🙂

I've just been having a nosey at the Time and Date website, and at 01:23 this morning, the most northerly point of the UK, Out Stack (a midges worth north of Muckle Flugga in the outer Shetland Isles) entered the world of the lingering twilight! Other northerly places like Saxa Vord have now also entered the world of the lingering twilight for another year.

(Its interesting to note that this far north in June, around the time of the solstice, it doesn't get any darker that civil twilight! ... I'd go as far as to class that as an interruption in daylight! The flip side of the coin is that this most northern part of the UK is in he pre-15:00 sunset club in December, with the sun setting at 14:48!!! 😮)

It's not until the 26th of this month that the lingering twilight reaches the mainland UK, when at 01:12 -  John o' Groats says farewell to true darkness.

It will not be until the 25th of August that the whole of the UK will once again experience true and total darkness. 

The final run into summer 2023 is underway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Bright until about 20:45 here last night.  Sun climbing to almost 51 degrees above the horizon today with a UV index of 6 at 13:00

• Like 1

Posted

its still light at 9.30 pm now here...half light (unless its cloudy) when i go for my walk at 5.30am sun is up when i get back though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

On the day that the world of the lingering twilight reached the mainland U.K. for another year, this is currently how light the sky is at 21:40 here in North East Wales. 

Could contain: Flare, Light, Lighting, Tree, Sunlight, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Night, Car

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

To think that at the end of next month, we will be on way downwards again

Oh shut up! LOL. I don't even feel like we have gone up!

• Like 1

Posted

first sub 6am sunrise this morning

• Like 1

Posted

Shortly after my alarm went off at 03:15 this morning, I looked out of the window… And although the sky certainly wasn’t light, it certainly wasn’t dark either. 🌌

So I’ve just had a look at the Time and Date website, and for my location, true darkness ended at 02:37! 

Plus for the record; the world of the lingering twilight has now reached the border town of Berwick-upon-Tweed! 

• Like 3

Posted

Closing in on the 'light period' of the year as I call it, when sunset arrives after 9pm.. not there yet, but not far off. 10th May marks the start. Our latest sunset is 9.50pm. Those twilight evenings are calling..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Closing in on the 'light period' of the year as I call it, when sunset arrives after 9pm.. not there yet, but not far off. 10th May marks the start. Our latest sunset is 9.50pm. Those twilight evenings are calling..

sunset here is already 9.20pm 

Posted

So, we have about 7 weeks before we start losing light. 

Still, it’s a long way off before the decline becomes noticeable. That’s about 3 and a half months away. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

So, we have about 7 weeks before we start losing light. 

Still, it’s a long way off before the decline becomes noticeable. That’s about 3 and a half months away. 

not for me it isn't.... by end of July morning darkness starts to creep back in again 😥

Posted

Farewell darkness my old friend… Enjoy your summer break, and I’m looking forward to your return in late July.

Sorry… Morning everyone

Well during the wee small hours, at 01:20 my part of the world here in North East Wales entered the world of the lingering  twilight for another year. The darkness returns for me on the 30th of July.

I really hope my reverse SAD holds out… But for me, it really feels like the final tightening of the vice is under way. 🙁

The final long, hard slog up to the summer solstice has commenced. *sigh* 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
45 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Farewell darkness my old friend… Enjoy your summer break, and I’m looking forward to your return in late July.

Sorry… Morning everyone

Well during the wee small hours, at 01:20 my part of the world here in North East Wales entered the world of the lingering  twilight for another year. The darkness returns for me on the 30th of July.

I really hope my reverse SAD holds out… But for me, it really feels like the final tightening of the vice is under way. 🙁

The final long, hard slog up to the summer solstice has commenced. *sigh* 

The worst 3 months of the year coming up, lowering  of mood has started, hate it.

• Like 1