Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mountain top in Chile to be blasted off

knocker

Posted
Mountain top in Chile to be blasted off for Extremely Large Telescope
Most ambitious project yet for European Southern Observatory will be large enough to search for life on other planets

Shortly after lunch on Thursday afternoon the silence of the Atacama desert in Chile will be rudely broken by the dull crack of dynamite sending a rush of mountain rock skywards.

The explosion, planned for 2pm local time (7pm BST), marks the start of a months-long project to lop the top off the 3,000m-high Cerro Armazones. Once the dust has settled and the rubble has been cleared, the mountain will be smaller, flatter, and ready to host the largest optical and infra-red telescope in the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/18/astronomy-extremely-large-telescope-e-elt-chile-life-other-planets

Posted

Mountain top in Chile to be blasted off for Extremely Large Telescope
Most ambitious project yet for European Southern Observatory will be large enough to search for life on other planets

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/18/astronomy-extremely-large-telescope-e-elt-chile-life-other-planets

I hate things like that! I see mountains as nature's precious monuments, we don't have the right to destroy them like that!

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted

I hate things like that! I see mountains as nature's precious monuments, we don't have the right to destroy them like that!

Karyo

I agree with you regarding mountain top coal mining. The question here is is it justified in the pursuit of knowledge?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

You will be able to watch the top blow off live here in 7hrs..

http://new.livestream.com/ESOAstronomy/eeltgroundbreaking

Posted

I agree with you regarding mountain top coal mining. The question here is is it justified in the pursuit of knowledge?

Oh, the hand wringing of first world dilemmas.

Posted

Surely, it's far more worthwhile to power our own planet than to find out if there's some type of lichen growing on a planet light years away?? Though I do agree with you that destroying mountains in such a blatant and vulgar manner is unacceptable - in either case.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Karyo

Ah yes, this really irritates me too. On a smaller scale, I'm always annoyed at seeing a residential subdivision making inroads over the top of a hill. There seems to be no aesthetic appreciation to protect natures major landmarks. Urban planning leaves a lot to be desired ( down here ).

Edited by Styx