Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Massive errors in net weather forecasts

Currently 22 degrees and sunny in wolverhampton but net weather has cloudy and 17or 18c

Showers forecast for tomorrow but in reality is expected to be warm and sunny

Would be grateful if you can advise on the accuracy of net weather short and long range town and city forecasts

Thanks sriram

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The Netweather 7 day forecasts are generated through the raw data of the GFS model, and I believe they have little or no human input. If the GFS is inaccurate for whatever reason at a given time, then this will be reflected in the forecasts.

Posted

The UK forecasts are actually from the NMM models we run, but Nick is right in that all forecast models can be wrong at times. That said, looking at the data from yesterday afternoon it actually quite closely matches the actuals from weather stations in the midlands and was showing 21-22c with broken cloud as far as I can see. 

So if you were seeing something different, please can you email us (here) with info on the postcode/town you were using as it may be a location error. Also, are you definitely using the UK forecasts and not the world forecasts, as the UK ones use the NMM which is much higher-resolution. 

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx2;sess=

Thanks for the reply

I can confirm that I am using the uk forecast for town and city forecasts and for wolverhampton it is accurate today - yesterday evening it was showing showers for today but this has been updated today to correctly show a dry day

Can you tell me what times roughly the forecast data are updated - it is mentioned 4 times a day but approximately what times of the day is data updated

Thanks Sriram

Posted

The current stratus type cloud is very unpredictable and with the strong sun this time of year whether it breaks or not makes a huge difference.

• Like 1