Cold?
IGNORED

Sleep? too much or too little?

Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I can vouch for that Nick this morning.. :fool:

You and me both! :D

When the going gets really tough a couple of Kapakes,alcohol and a bag of weed do the trick, I find. Wake up 12hrs later feeling crap tho'.

I believe cannabis is prescribed in some US states for insomnia! Certainly better for you than some of the crap in sleeping pills.

But with booze after a night out, I drift off easily, but will then wake up ridiculously early and struggle to get back to sleep. So I have the combination of a hangover and a lack of sleep!

Edited by Nick L

Posted

I believe cannabis is prescribed in some US states for insomnia! Certainly better for you than some of the crap in sleeping pills.

Absolutely - and is why I cannot understand why so many folk indulge for 'recreational' purposes... all it does for me is induce an irresistable sleep. Though the descent into that is rather nice, I must say.

Posted

Valerian! Stinks, but knocks you out!

Used to have loads of that growing in the garden of our old drum. It's what they put in Nytol,as well as hops and summat else I can't recall. Whatever, it didn't do a damn thing for me. That's cos' I'm hardcore,me.

Edit: Lettuce is supposed to contain a soporific compound, but the day I start necking that before bedtime is the day I turn into Bugs Bunny.

Edited by laserguy

Posted

Lettuce, not heard that one LG, suppose it beats a dodgy kebab or full on sphincter stinging phaal.

Talking of which, I had the hottest curry known to all of humanity last night - my hair and teeth are still sweating. But that belongs in another thread and no, it wasn't conducive to sleeping last night. Ye lettuce and sleep - look it up...

• Like 1

Posted

Lettuce is the swear filter replacing a stronger word for urine :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A few years back, I used to sub-contract to a friend of mine, doing landscaping. I was on good money but I burnt the candle at both ends for about two years. I would work from 7am until 9pm in the Summer months, I would shower quickly and get to the pub for a few, then usually end up at a mates house until 2am. 4 or 5 hours sleep was fine until it got the better of me- ended up getting run down and developing pneumonia. About 6 or 7 hours is good for me now, unless there's a rogue party going. :D

Posted

Lettuce (no swear filter) is supposed to have something in it that aids sleep so I recall. I think it's more in the stalks. Victorians used to make their kids eat it to aid sleep but then they did some weird things back then. Maybe worth a try.

I don't get much sleep in the summer. The light mornings and seagull (and commercial bin emptying across the road at 5.30am grrr) mean that I am up usually around 5-5.30. I reckon I get about 6 hours sleep at most but make up for it in winter. Maybe I should hibernate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Lettuce (no swear filter) is supposed to have something in it that aids sleep so I recall. I think it's more in the stalks. Victorians used to make their kids eat it to aid sleep but then they did some weird things back then. Maybe worth a try.I don't get much sleep in the summer. The light mornings and seagull (and commercial bin emptying across the road at 5.30am grrr) mean that I am up usually around 5-5.30. I reckon I get about 6 hours sleep at most but make up for it in winter. Maybe I should hibernate?

Aye it's laudanum, but from what I've read I think you'd have to eat a vast amount of it to make any substantial difference.

Years ago I used to eat the equivalent of a whole large lettuce a day ( at least ) throughout the summer.

Whether or not it made me more sleepy I couldn't say as, at the time, I was getting up at 1.30 a.m, cycling a 32 miles round trip to work, doing 12-14 hour days in a physical job and surviving on 4 hours sleep; I could easily have slept on a bed of nails whilst someone stuck pins in my eyes, lettuce or no lettuce.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I think it's pretty well documented that although drink gets you off to sleep easier, the quality of sleep is reduced. Which is why you tend to wake up knackered after a night out.

I think I read that after drinking, you wake up early due to a drop in blood sugar levels. So when you wake, you should have something sweet to help balance your blood sugars and you should fall back to sleep more easily. I always seem to have an orange juice craving when I wake up after drinking, which might be related.

Posted

I think I read that after drinking, you wake up early due to a drop in blood sugar levels. So when you wake, you should have something sweet to help balance your blood sugars and you should fall back to sleep more easily. I always seem to have an orange juice craving when I wake up after drinking, which might be related.

I usually have a nice cuppa and a biscuit or two, goes down a treat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Apple juice is recommeded for the morning after (and a glass of water the night before when you go to sleep as it hydrates the body)

I usually have a nice cuppa and a biscuit or two, goes down a treat!

tea/coffee not as good as it may be a stimulant it also makes the body pass water rather than retain it when you need it the most.

Posted

Apple juice is recommeded for the morning after (and a glass of water the night before when you go to sleep as it hydrates the body)

tea/coffee not as good as it may be a stimulant it also makes the body pass water rather than retain it when you need it the most.

Ah I see. Well sometimes I go for the cranberry juice option (love the stuff), might go for that more regularly instead. Always go to bed with water after a night out though! Otherwise death awaits in the morning :p

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Always go to bed with water after a night out though! Otherwise death awaits in the morning :p

And a very wise move that is too, but do you drink it :crazy::rolleyes: