Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Man Made Climate Change - Evidence Based Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Because the stats say more records have been broken recently, with many exceptional periods of weather, including several of the warmest years, warmest seasons, warmest months, wettest seasons, wettest months, sunniest months, seasons and dullest months and seasons (and 2 cold months!). These are records going back hundreds of years so they should be increasingly difficult to beat. The one thing we seem to be lacking is exceptionally cold seasons.

BFTV

This is a biased post and does not bear an examination UNLESS I am misunderstanding..

If your post is related to recent years then I can give you some actual CET data.....

I think that you can find about one year from april 2012 to june 2013 when the CET temperatures were all below normal. Also you will find that the winter 2010 to 2011 was one of the coldest for many years with December 2010 being the coldest for 100 years.

So yes the last year has seen CET temperatures above normal though not hot. I do not remember any CET hiigh temp records being broken. in the last 7 years.

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

I think that if you had reported some specific data and dates it may have made made more sense to me..

I don't know if you are talking about the period since 2007 or the 15 years before, in which case i have atready said that it was an exceptional period in terms of warmth and sunshine, etc. So were you agreeing with me that the period 1990 to 2007 was the exceptional period?

My belief is that since 2007 the CET has spent as much time above normal and periods when it is below Please see the annual CET stats for confirmation.

MIA.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

BFTV

This is a biased post and does not bear an examination UNLESS I am misunderstanding..

If your post is related to recent years then I can give you some actual CET data.....

I think that you can find about one year from april 2012 to june 2013 when the CET temperatures were all below normal. Also you will find that the winter 2010 to 2011 was one of the coldest for many years with December 2010 being the coldest for 100 years.

So yes the last year has seen CET temperatures above normal though not hot. I do not remember any CET hiigh temp records being broken. in the last 7 years.

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

I think that if you had reported some specific data and dates it may have made made more sense to me..

I don't know if you are talking about the period since 2007 or the 15 years before, in which case i have atready said that it was an exceptional period in terms of warmth and sunshine, etc. So were you agreeing with me that the period 1990 to 2007 was the exceptional period?

My belief is that since 2007 the CET has spent as much time above normal and periods when it is below Please see the annual CET stats for confirmation.

MIA.

Really, biased? Didn't think there was any need for that. How does coldest for many years compare with multiple warmest in nearly 350 years? Context matters here. Like I said, we've had 2 notably cold months, December 2010 and March 2013

Since 2007 then (your starting point, leaving out the warmest year on record), and using the 1901-2000 average, we've had

58 above average months, 31 below average months.

Of those above average months, 30 were more than 1C above average, and 14 were more than 2C above average.

Of those below average months, 8 were more than 1C below average, and 3 were more than 2C below average.

Since 2007 we've had the (as far as top 10 months go)

5th and 10th warmest January

6th warmest March

The warmest, 2nd warmest and joint 8th warmest April

Joint 10th warmest July

Joint 8th and joint 10th warmest October

2nd and joint 9th warmest November

2nd coldest December

2nd and joint 7th warmest years

There really is no comparison, if you actually check the stats. It's been much milder than normal in general

• Like 4

Posted

BFTV

I have been out the last 24hours to find our posts have changed threads and caused some eruptions!

Thank you for your work. I too am aware tof the CET records, but you have adroitly side-stepped the questions I had raised.

I was not comparing the CET records for the last 100 years(1901 upto 2000), but I was comparing the last 7 years with the immediate preceeding 16.

Since you have not produced this data, I shall report it here. The average annual CET temperature fro the period 1990 -2006 was 10.27C.  The average for the period 2007 to the start of this year is 9.95C. If I include this year it goes up to 10.02C.

So as per my comments previous the climate is returning to the temperature variations of the 1950's CET average 9.55C and the 60's CET average 9.50 if I exclude the 2 exceptionally cold years of 1962 and 1963. Do you know why these 2 years were so cold?

I believe the mild pleasant (OK hot at times) weather of the period 1990 to 2006 was the anomally not what has happened since..  

No-one has still come up with why the weather was so mild  during the 90's and early 2000. Noone has contested the fact that there were no MAJOR climatic events in this period. I am still unconvinced that the arguments being put forward by some people that today the infrastructure changes would have ameliorated  the severe conditions experienced in the blizzards of  47 or the East coast floods, etc. I could easily argue that the number of extra people and the extra cars on the roads would make it worse.

BFTV. I accept that the climate has warmed. I possibly do not see the same  causes as you. I think that the next 10years will decide many of today's debates..  I think we all  have to be patient .

Dev. Thaks for your comments. I also know many scientists, but I still believe my comments are true!!

MIA  .

Posted

BFTV

I have been out the last 24hours to find our posts have changed threads and caused some eruptions!

Thank you for your work. I too am aware tof the CET records, but you have adroitly side-stepped the questions I had raised.

I was not comparing the CET records for the last 100 years(1901 upto 2000), but I was comparing the last 7 years with the immediate preceeding 16.

Since you have not produced this data, I shall report it here. The average annual CET temperature fro the period 1990 -2006 was 10.27C.  The average for the period 2007 to the start of this year is 9.95C. If I include this year it goes up to 10.02C.

So as per my comments previous the climate is returning to the temperature variations of the 1950's CET average 9.55C and the 60's CET average 9.50 if I exclude the 2 exceptionally cold years of 1962 and 1963. Do you know why these 2 years were so cold?

I'd have thought to make that assertion MIA it would be necessary to compare apples with apples.  Do we have decade figures for the 1990s and the first decade of the 2000s?  Comparing 16 randomly chosen years with 7 thereafter feels a bit cherry-picky?  The trend might well be true - which is very interesting, just need genuinely comparable evidence.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

And 'context' as well Shuggs? We are orbitally positioned to be cooling in the far north right now ( which would show some impact here surely?) and in the middle/end of a number of years of globally negative natural forcings ( leaving out mans 'dimming' impacts) which would again suggest a backdrop of general cooling?

Why, when all of nature seems to want us to be cooling, are we still seeing such warmth?

All in all we should be wondering ,with all our knowledge and past/current observations, why this should be the case?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I'd have thought to make that assertion MIA it would be necessary to compare apples with apples.  Do we have decade figures for the 1990s and the first decade of the 2000s?  Comparing 16 randomly chosen years with 7 thereafter feels a bit cherry-picky?  The trend might well be true - which is very interesting, just need genuinely comparable evidence.

Shuggee

The data has been taken from the last 7 years of monthly CET figures averaged out over the year, compared to  the previous 16 years calculated in exactly the same way. It shows a net cooling of about 0.3C in the CET figures. My point was that the climate in my opinion changed around 2007, so in order to give some evidence  I calculated the figures directly.

This is in contrast to the figures produced by BFTV who compared the whole of the last century to show that we are warming this century. I am not disagreeing that it is warmer now then it was for the 19th century. Just that there seems to have been a change around 2007, which you can see from my figures (cherry picked if you like), but much better to illustrate the point rather than BFTV's  broad brush approach trying persuade that  we are still warming.

The time to compare if you want to use decades(though not sure why) will be 2017. When you can go back to 2007 (ie 10 years) .

Its just that after 7 years a trend seems to be emerging in the CET of the temperature falling by 0.3C. 

The trend may change in which case  I will be prepared to accept it!!

MIA  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Shuggee

The data has been taken from the last 7 years of monthly CET figures averaged out over the year, compared to  the previous 16 years calculated in exactly the same way. It shows a net cooling of about 0.3C in the CET figures. My point was that the climate in my opinion changed around 2007, so in order to give some evidence  I calculated the figures directly.

This is in contrast to the figures produced by BFTV who compared the whole of the last century to show that we are warming this century. I am not disagreeing that it is warmer now then it was for the 19th century. Just that there seems to have been a change around 2007, which you can see from my figures (cherry picked if you like), but much better to illustrate the point rather than BFTV's  broad brush approach trying persuade that  we are still warming.

The time to compare if you want to use decades(though not sure why) will be 2017. When you can go back to 2007 (ie 10 years) .

Its just that after 7 years a trend seems to be emerging in the CET of the temperature falling by 0.3C. 

The trend may change in which case  I will be prepared to accept it!!

MIA  

I wasn't trying to persuade you we were still warming. I was pointing out that there were more extreme months, and more warm months than cool months since 2007, seeing as you claimed

I do not remember any CET hiigh temp records being broken. in the last 7 years.

My belief is that since 2007 the CET has spent as much time above normal and periods when it is below

If you want to look at climate warming, you need to look at trends and longer periods of time, not arbitrarily chosen years.

I've tried linking you to evidence and showing you evidence that recent years have had many extreme months and seasons, more (at least proportionally) than the 50s and 60s period. You keep choosing to ignore the data and claim that your impression of the weather in the past is more important/accurate. There is no debating that, not in any meaningful or scientific manner.

If you want to claim the 50s and 60s were more extreme, provide the data, don't just name a few events. If you want to show the 90-06 period was truly exceptional, provide the data, don't just claim it is so without anything to back it up.

• Like 2

Posted

BFTV

Your figures quoting CET from the average of the 1901 to 2000  give (as you know) a CET average way below the of the late 1990 - 2000 period which was the criteria you chose for deciding above or below average monthsr. I think from memory it was 58 to 31.

If you calculate the average from the late 1900's, you will find that tere were more months below normal than above, and hence my figures taken directly for the CET figures show  a 0.3C coolin compaqred to the previos 16 years.. How could that possibly happen if you say 58 months were above the average and 31 below without it being based on abnormally cool average figures Can I ak you why you use 1901 as your average CET rather than as even the MET O  use at worse 1971 to 2000. That surely is cherry picking---

I have provided my evidence for the previous period (50 -60's) being more climate sensitive than the period of 1990 to 2007.

I have asked for anyone to give me any similar loss of life. Noone has responded with any event for the UK.

I made a statement that the recent period 2007 seems to be going back to the climate of the 50-60's. That is my contentiuon.

No one has disproved it yet. The figure I repeat is that the CET is 0.3C less than the preceeding period.

You should provide evidence for my being incorrect.

MIA

Posted

A second response to this quote....

As a result of your suggesting I was the one who was cherry picking (or was it apple picking?)  the data I am taking some time to calculate some new data which I cannot by accused of cherry picking. I will use your suggested decadal figures. 

1) Calculate the CET average from 1997 to 2006, and compare it with the years since as previous. As pointed out in my previous response to BFTV I cannot give you the next full 10 years unil 2017.

2) Recalculate the CET average temperature per month  for the period 1997 to 2006 and then check  BVTV's claim refuting my suggestion that there were nearly as many months that were below the average as above despite a warming climate.

On point 1 it is easy to do and results in an even more stark difference in temperature. The average annual CET for the 10 years from 1997/ 2006 was 10.36C. In other words I was NOT cherry or apple picking the data because my using the period 1990 to 2006 UNDER-ESTIMATED the warming in the period prior to 2007 compared to your suggested method. The difference is ffrom 10.27 to 10.36C. A further 0.09C increase to justify my assertion. 

I am currently about to recalculate the months above and below the average CET for the same comparative dates.

I will post again shortly....

I am not trying to prove warming has NOT occured. Simply that something changed in 2007 and it is  also having an impact on our climate. In my opinion it has moved us back to the type of condition we had in the 50's and 60's, though I accept it is not  as cool (maybe yet?)  Noone knows what the next 10 years will bring.

I will let you know the further results and continue to monitor until 2017.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I am not trying to prove warming has NOT occurred. Simply that something changed in 2007 and it is  also having an impact on our climate. In my opinion it has moved us back to the type of condition we had in the 50's and 60's, though I accept it is not  as cool (maybe yet?)  No One knows what the next 10 years will bring.

MIA

I don't know whether you missed it or not but something very big did occur in 2007 and it pumped a lot of energy , normally safely bounced back into space, into the climate system?

A similar event occurred in 2012 ( 18% lower than the last time it occurred) and that too appeared to have a marked impact across the northern hemisphere?

Well spotted that we underwent change at the 07' juncture but the reasons are far more obvious than you seem to wish to concede too?

The shift , in 2012, from the jet pattern that had 'blessed us' with washout summers to the one where we have a chance of a summer is as simple as shunting the Jet trough 300 miles into mainland europe ( and shunting the persistent ridge from over central USA, and extending over Greenland, and replacing it with a jet trough.....poor USA) ....simples eh?

Now what mechanism could explain both the extreme ridgeing/troughs of the polar jet and also impact the frequency of that wave???

Well , so it appears, when we have a stark contrast between cold and hot at that boundary we have a pretty straight running jet ( look at the past winter when the polar vortex met the Atlantic warmth off Newfoundland and what that 'stark contrast' meant for us here in the UK!!!) , lessen that contrast ( cool the equator or heat the poles) and the Jet become a wibbly ,wobbly ( not timey whimey) thing.

Come the next major ice retreat ( 2017?) and we might see the frequency again altered  ( and maybe the amplitude???) so your choice of 2017 had better be the end of 2017?

Posted

As a result of your suggesting I was the one who was cherry picking (or was it apple picking?)  the data I am taking some time to calculate some new data which I cannot by accused of cherry picking. I will use your suggested decadal figures. 

2) Recalculate the CET average temperature per month  for the period 1997 to 2006 and then check  BVTV's claim refuting my suggestion that there were nearly as many months that were below the average as above despite a warming climate.

I am currently about to recalculate the months above and below the average CET for the same comparative dates.

I will post again shortly....

MIA

Re my post as above and my promise to comeback to you with the diffences from the CET averages since 2007.

I infact have used the figures already calculated by Roger S Smith in the Monthly CET estimate blog entries (Thanks Roger  I hope you don't mind ), as to calculate it all again is  a bit time consuming.

I actually used 3 of his dataset figures he reports on monthly in the estimates thread.

a) for the period 1901 - 2001 (as per BFTV's response) above

b) the period 2001 - 2013 (as the most recent change)  and

c) the period 1910 - 2000 as per the MET Office favourite statistical climate anomaly.figures.

In that way I hope eliminate all suggestions of bias.

The contention was my suggestion that there were just about as many cold months to warm months since 2007 in the climate record, which was apparently debunked by BFTV inspite of the fact that the annual CET was 0.4C (latest figure) colder that the previous 10 years.

Here are the figures -

a) comparison to 1901 - 2000 period gave 50 warmer months and 32 colder months (almost the same as BFTV). Any differences explained by the fact that any the same as the monthly CET avearage I ignored.

b) comparison to the 2001 - 2013 period gave 30 warmer months only and 51 colder months. Again the same as above in terms of equal figures. The TOTAL opposite of BFTV's figures (this is why I called foul using the total century figures)

c) comparison with the 1971 - 2000 (the MetOffice figures) gave a value of 39 warmer months and 43 colder months, which accurately described my assertions above.

So I have not been apple picking for cherries!!!! This is a genuine recent trend, which appears to have not been picked up or has been ignored previously.

The question it has raised is whether this insistance  on comparing data with the older data periods we are missing recent changes in events,which  may or may not change our thinking on what is happening to our climate curently.

GW  as per your response thank you...

I think that there are  many possible reasons (possibly including the one you are alluding to) as a part cause. . 

The data more directly ties in with the sun activity as we entered into the solar minimum early in 2007 and we have entered the solar maximum in late 2013 and continuing this year. The data suddenly dived in 2007 (after the first 6 months of above average temps in 2007) and has gone way above average for the latest period.

To repeat I have no axe to grind in any direction. I do not believe we know enough yet about the forcings taking place in our complex and rapidly changing biosphere we called the earth's atmosphere.

Anyway thats the end my diattribe for now. I'll go back to being  a watcher on these forums until something changes or 2017!!!!

PS Us old fogies dont like doing mental arithmetic much these days so  please don't challenge me again!!!

MIA.

• Like 1

Posted

PS

Other interesting facts I have noticed in my data is that the months of July, August, September and early October have been the main months to witness change, with 5 of the 7 years in each of these months recording colder values than by comparison to the most recent CET data.

All other months show  roughly a 50% split between colder and warmer with no month having more than 3 colder.

The above ties in with an article by Philip Eden today in the Sunday Telegraph, but he is only talking about August 

The figures I ave show it extends into the autumn as well.

MIA 

• Like 1

Posted

If there is a solar signature on W European climate, August would be a good candidate for showing a cooling trend.

There are many records from Europe of very early autumn onset and reduced growing season during the Dalton and Maunder: unfortuntely, they do not have the long temperature series provided by the CET record so it is impossible to look at the figures, only written accounts maintained by the like of monastries regarding grain prices and wine production.

Summers were unpredictable - some were hot, some were cool - drought interspersed with damaging floods and hail. All hallmarks of an amplified pattern and not so different to what we have been seeing on the mainland of Europe in recent years.

The hail and gust front damage to fields, vines and orchards has been extensive this year.

I'm from northern farming stock (tatties, neeps, oats and barley) so have no record to compare down here but talking to the old farmers, they say they haven't seen such a volatile period, as in the last few years, in their lifetime.

• Like 1

Posted

As an example of finding world accounts of weather records recorded in an historical context I highly recommend Global Crisis; War, Climate Change and catastrophe in the Seventeenth Century by the eminent historian Geoffrey Parker. The breadth of his research into varied archives and texts is mind boggling.

• Like 1

Posted

Monster error bars  :rofl:

Whoosh...

Edited by Devonian

Posted

If there is a solar signature on W European climate, August would be a good candidate for showing a cooling trend.

There are many records from Europe of very early autumn onset and reduced growing season during the Dalton and Maunder: unfortuntely, they do not have the long temperature series provided by the CET record so it is impossible to look at the figures, only written accounts maintained by the like of monastries regarding grain prices and wine production.

Summers were unpredictable - some were hot, some were cool - drought interspersed with damaging floods and hail. All hallmarks of an amplified pattern and not so different to what we have been seeing on the mainland of Europe in recent years.

The hail and gust front damage to fields, vines and orchards has been extensive this year.

I'm from northern farming stock (tatties, neeps, oats and barley) so have no record to compare down here but talking to the old farmers, they say they haven't seen such a volatile period, as in the last few years, in their lifetime.

I don't see why tbh? Why not July or indeed, say, July 15 to August 15th?

Posted

Scientists’ Views about Attribution of Global Warming

Results are presented from a survey held among 1868 scientists studying various aspects of climate change, including physical climate, climate impacts, and mitigation. The survey was unique in its size, broadness and level of detail. Consistent with other research, we found that, as the level of expertise in climate science grew, so too did the level of agreement on anthropogenic causation. 90% of respondents with more than 10 climate-related peer-reviewed publications (about half of all respondents), explicitly agreed with anthropogenic greenhouse gases (GHGs) being the dominant driver of recent global warming. The respondents’ quantitative estimate of the GHG contribution appeared to strongly depend on their judgment or knowledge of the cooling effect of aerosols. The phrasing of the IPCC attribution statement in its fourth assessment report (AR4)—providing a lower limit for the isolated GHG contribution—may have led to an underestimation of the GHG influence on recent warming. The phrasing was improved in AR5. We also report on the respondents’ views on other factors contributing to global warming; of these Land Use and Land Cover Change (LULCC) was considered the most important. Respondents who characterized human influence on climate as insignificant, reported having had the most frequent media coverage regarding their views on climate change.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/es501998e

FAQ for the article “Scientists’ Views about Attribution of Global Warmingâ€

http://ourchangingclimate.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/faq-for-the-article-scientists-views-about-attribution-of-global-warming/

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Anywhere we can view regular sea level readings and track rise/fall ect?

Posted

Indeed, It does seem hard to track down a simple graph that plots global sea levels since records began. Then again Google isn't what it once was with it ad fuelled greed these days. Perhaps someone on here can post a link to it?

Posted

Anywhere we can view regular sea level readings and track rise/fall ect?

Not sure what you mean. I assume you mean individual places (rather than global) as of course it will vary depending on the part of the world.

Posted

It is common knowledge in the climate change scientific community that governments around the world had better be planning for a one-meter rise in global sea levels by the end of this century.

Presumably to make a statement like that they must have all of the various monitoring stations plotted into a graph somewhere to make a global average plot?

• Like 1

Posted

Presumably to make a statement like that they must have all of the various monitoring stations plotted into a graph somewhere to make a global average plot?

Of course there is and since 1993 satellites but the statement is a prediction taken from the paper I posted in the other thread.

Anyway:

http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/SeaLevel/

http://www.psmsl.org/data/obtaining/

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not sure what you mean. I assume you mean individual places (rather than global) as of course it will vary depending on the part of the world.

Sorry I should have clarified that I meant global sea level although either would be interesting.

I presume it rises and falls a little like sea ice depending on seasons and snow cover through northern hemisphere predominantly as we have more land mass to get snow covered in winter?