Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Updated Met Office warnings out, warning area expanded Westwards, now covers all of England and Wales and some of Scotland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

Following a build of very warm and humid air at the end of this week there is the potential for the development of intense thunderstorms over the UK from Friday night. In this situation large amounts of energy are available in the atmosphere and this coupled with high moisture content can lead to torrential downpours along with frequent lightning activity, large hail and locally strong gusts. In this situation many elements need to come together at the same time to form these thunderstorms and so there remains large uncertainty in their development. Indeed, the risk has been extended further west for this update, with further updates in the coming days.

Warning for Sunday for eastern areas too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm still not expecting anything here, maybe a sprinkling of rain to keep the dust down..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I'm still not expecting anything here, maybe a sprinkling of rain to keep the dust down..

Why are you negative about this event? Surely you want something? :D

Posted

06z GFS hinting at some activity across Midlands/Northern England tomorrow afternoon

with plenty of "juice" in the atmosphere.

Saturday.......well....

• Like 2

Posted

Why are you negative about this event? Surely you want something? :D

Of course but I don't think any thundery activity will occur here, it'll slip east and west, or develop further inland during Saturday. Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

I expect theres a lot of people on here with the anxiety, butterflies in the stomach, unfortunately not for the same reason as you guys, i can't understand why you both choose to come on a weather forum (i'm not telling you to leave us though) and building the anxiety up over a number of days rather than just have it come without knowing about it and getting through the few hours when its here, though i can see the idea of the more you know about whats coming may make things slightly easier to take. Its a tough choice i suppose, i just don't know if i could take 4/5 days of working myself up with worry especially if in the end it comes to nothing.

Anyway best of luck over the next few days, and remember theres probably more chance of a bus load of fit ladies driving through your front wall than than being affected directly by a thunderstorm. :wink:

that's what my family tells me only worry about when and if it arrives they say that I work myself too much into a state over a number of days over an event which may or may not happen

it is something I am trying to change but habits are easy to get into but very hard to break out of

• Like 4

Posted

Updated Met Office warnings out, warning area expanded Westwards, now covers all of England and Wales and some of Scotland

Following a build of very warm and humid air at the end of this week there is the potential for the development of intense thunderstorms over the UK from Friday night. In this situation large amounts of energy are available in the atmosphere and this coupled with high moisture content can lead to torrential downpours along with frequent lightning activity, large hail and locally strong gusts. In this situation many elements need to come together at the same time to form these thunderstorms and so there remains large uncertainty in their development. Indeed, the risk has been extended further west for this update, with further updates in the coming days.

That certainly is  a westward shift looks like anywhere is at risk

Posted

06z GFS hinting at some activity across Midlands/Northern England tomorrow afternoon

with plenty of "juice" in the atmosphere.

Posted Image36-505UK.gifPosted Image33-779UK.gif

Saturday.......well....

Posted Image57-505UK.gifPosted Image60-574UK.gif

Hm that don't look all that exciting for us up here. I wonder..................

Posted

Well I am currently just out of that warning zone for Sunday

lets hope it stays that way

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

There could be some thunderstorm action here tonight but the BBC think further W towards Cornwall.

Hey will. I passed through your village this week as I'm holidaying in seaton. Hopefully catch a storm tonight

Posted

I can't post the 4km NMM on here but it absolutely destroys the IoW and parts of Hampshire.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

@Gordon Webb and @Speedway Slider - what is it about storms that makes you both anxious? Is it the fear of being struck or something less defined? Do you both have lightning rods on the roof?

For me, I can't wait. Even the Netweather forecast has several hours of storms for my area on Saturday, but that's probably jinxed it now. I'll be keeping an eye on Barometer Dog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I can't post the 4km NMM on here but it absolutely destroys the IoW and parts of Hampshire.

Wow even the W country gets absolutely smashed Saturday morning by torrential rain....could very interesting if it verifies and stays electrified.

Also, if any activity does start up overnight tonight across some SW parts, Mid-level cape looks really excellent for any elevated storms. Really could be a light show in places if it comes off.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

I expect theres a lot of people on here with the anxiety, butterflies in the stomach, unfortunately not for the same reason as you guys, i can't understand why you both choose to come on a weather forum (i'm not telling you to leave us though) and building the anxiety up over a number of days rather than just have it come without knowing about it and getting through the few hours when its here, though i can see the idea of the more you know about whats coming may make things slightly easier to take. Its a tough choice i suppose, i just don't know if i could take 4/5 days of working myself up with worry especially if in the end it comes to nothing.

Anyway best of luck over the next few days, and remember theres probably more chance of a bus load of fit ladies driving through your front wall than than being affected directly by a thunderstorm. :wink:

Hi Chris101,

My scenario is probably a little different to Gordon's. I am fascinated with weather and love all it throws at us, but I have this fear of T and L, well the lightning element as its the dangerous part...

I have no idea why, I'm the only one in the family with this phobia.... But, I like to watch it from distance, and I'm very brave when it's 10+ miles away!!!!!

I am trying to rid myself of this fear, and talking about it, listening to you professionals 

discussing it with the charts, long words, pictures taken is one of the steps I am taking to inoculate myself...... I am much better now, than I was only 2-3 years ago, when I accidently landed on the Isle of Wight Lightning maps, you know, with the animated strike plotting..... Etc.

I think the next step is to find a local chaser and perhaps, and its only a very small perhaps, go on a chase and experience it a tad closer than my current safe distance threshold. Weather (excuse the humour) this helps ir not, I won't know until I try it..... So I will continue to add my thoughts, comments,

and soak-up the thunderstorm knowledge in the continued battle against my fear, real or unreal... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Even though I love storms I've still been made frightened by some of them? I caught 1 just outside Koln in the late 90's, never experienced lightening like it! It was strobe lighting as I walked from the bedroom to the balcony (18 floors up). A close strike took out the tram pylon below and that instant report shocked me ( as did the gust front which had me fearful of me and the chairs being 'gusted' over the balcony!) and once up in Midgeley when again a close by tree strike and the instant thunder had me spooked?

i think that for us 'lovers of storms' it is that fear that drives us? Those afraid need to find a way to turn that 'terror' into a buzz? Try laughing after every flash/loud clap? Certainly have your families more concerned?

• Like 1

Posted

first potential downgrade for here, met office forecast for my area says now only light rain, could it be that this part of Lincs could miss out this time around, lets hope not, lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

that's what my family tells me only worry about when and if it arrives they say that I work myself too much into a state over a number of days over an event which may or may not happen

it is something I am trying to change but habits are easy to get into but very hard to break out of

Well said, that's what I have to learn to do with Aspergers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

What's that on the radar near Quimper in France?

It's a coming!

• Like 1

Posted

@Gordon Webb and @Speedway Slider - what is it about storms that makes you both anxious? Is it the fear of being struck or something less defined? Do you both have lightning rods on the roof?For me, I can't wait. Even the Netweather forecast has several hours of storms for my area on Saturday, but that's probably jinxed it now. I'll be keeping an eye on Barometer Dog.

for me it is the lightning fear of being struck seeing it and also of the very loudest rumbles of thunder and even though I know that is harmless and also the chances of been struck by lightning inside a house are also low I cannot help it

perhaps what is worse than that is the build up the wait

when a storm happens I can get into a particular state of mind a routine I have to try and cope with it and generally as a storm progress I get use to my routine and the storm going on around me , I also live at home so I have family who do their best to reassure me but I still don't find it easy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

"During Friday night and through Saturday things are set to go bang quite spectacularly  as cloudbursts with thunder and hailstorms develop and become widespread in the south and push northwards. Severe weather and disruption are probable, but local conditions could vary widely

More heavy showery rain and thunderstorms on Sunday and Monday, but remaining very warm in sunny spells. It's now looking like the heat will build back quickly and by mid-week 30C (86F) could be on the menu again as the UK taps into a reservoir of blowtorch continental heat...."

Extract from theweatheroutlook.com homepage! Sums things up nicely!

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 4

Posted

Not liking the Westward shift in cape. Hoping its just spreading out and not moving away from the East. Sorry being a bit IMBYist

Posted

Mapantz, how did you generate that for your town, you got a url, really useful that time notion...

It's a paid Android app I use on my tablet. I searched for weeks to find the most accurate weather app, and Weatherpro seems to be it. :) Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 4