Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Giant hole appears at 'the end of the world' in Siberia

Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Giant hole appears at 'the end of the world' in Siberia

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/giant-hole-appears-at-the-end-of-the-world-in-siberia-9609728.html

A mysterious crater has appeared at the “end of the world†in Siberia, leaving a pit 80m wide and so deep it has not yet been measured.

Posted
First pictures from inside the 'crater at the end of the world'

The crater on the Yamal Peninsula was caused by aliens, a meteorite, a stray missile, or an explosive gas cocktail released due to global warming, according to various theories in recent days.

Images of the remarkable phenomenon have gone round the world since The Siberian Times highlighted helicopter images of the giant hole earlier this week. 

The first expedition to the scene - the scientists have just returned - took these epic pictures of the hole, including the darkening pattern on the inner rim.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Already a thread of this Knocker, so I'll merge the two threads

cheers

AJ

Posted

I'm at a loss why it's been presented as almost supernatural.It's a 'Pingo' which is a well known permafrost region feature.They are rarely seen so freshly produced though.http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/18/new-pictures-of-the-hole-in-yamal-and-pingo-was-its-name-o/

Posted

I'm afraid I will have to dispute Willard's interpretation of the hole. .Or rather HotWhopper does rather neatly I feel. WUWT is a source that should come with health warning Heaven knows where you have plucked the supernatural from.

Pingo! Anthony Watts tells Russian scientists they "don't know nuffin'" about Yamal

http://blog.hotwhopper.com/2014/07/pingo-anthony-watts-tells-russian.html

Edited by knocker

Posted

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/giant-hole-siberia-crater-end-of-world_n_5591780.html

I like this explanation better.

Giant Hole Forms In Siberia, And Nobody Can Explain Why.

Been quite a few strong earthquakes in Alaska last few years too.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/17/6563024/strong-earthquake-jolts-alaska.html

Also magnetic pole.

http://nexusnow.info/forum/viewpost.php?p=70588

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

The speed at which these geological formations form and then evolve is perhaps a bit of a surprise? Based on my casual observation of natural science news over the years, there seems to be an over-estimation of the time frame it takes for processes of geological evolution. Time scales are shortening.  Even carbon dating. And having a browse thru the pages of the above link today...I've decided I must get to Siberia sometime.

Edited by Styx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If we think back to prof S. missions over the submerged permafrost in the east Siberian sea we might recall them , in 2012, seeing 'chimneys' that has grown ( over a period of a year) from tens of metres to over a km?

I believe that we are looking at the 'land' side of the same permafrost blanket and so why should we not to expect to be seeing similar features evolving? The ocean keeps the permafrosts offshore in permanent melt whilst , on land, we only get the brief summer warmth. That said temps across the land over summer have been getting pretty toasty when compared to the near freezing temps below the E.S.S.?

If these features are related then we have to accept that they are a product of modern ';warming' and , as such, should expect to see many more appear over the coming decades?

Prof S.'s mission over the Shelf sea might well produce more stunning data of the 'chimneys' once Oden is over the area so we might get some good data to compare the features? Of course the weathering that the ocean features undergo will be very different to the weathering we see on land?

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.nature.com/news/mysterious-siberian-crater-attributed-to-methane-1.15649

Looks like I might be onto something? With methane levels at 9.6% at the bottom of the pit ( yup 9.6% not parts per billion!!!!!!) we have our smoking gun?

Posted

Cause of Mysterious Siberian Holes Possibly Found

The holes are likely a type of sinkhole formed from melting permafrost or ice, which most likely erupted due to a collection of natural gas within the underground spaces

Posted

As I've mooted over on the C&E methane thread these reserves are the same as those causing such concern off the Siberian coast. We already know that those reserves are showing signs of rapid deformation ( the 'chimney' formations grew from tens of metres to up to a km over a single year!) so why would we not expect to see the land based sediments begin to undergo similar deformation when we see extreme summers?

We know that we saw record temp years across Siberia in both 2010 and 2012 ( every summer now shows massive positive anoms compared to the 30yr running mean) so conditions must have been approaching the lower end of those being felt beneath the East Siberian Sea ( which Prof Shakhova tells us are over 10c warmer, year around, than past conditions allowed!!!)

With another spate of temp driven wildfires is already ongoing across Siberia lowering albedo and allowing for 'hot spot' micro climates across swathes of the permafrost destabilising the sediments (100s of metres thick) to ever greater depths allowing for methanogenisis to begin and also releasing pre formed methane from former 'ice capped' pockets.

As the imagery shows the hole is water filled at its base and so 'drains' off through the permafrost below. Such water channels also allow for methane migration through the sediments possibly leading to localised pockets that , come spring thaw, erupt through the top few metres of overburden.

The region is around 50m above sea level but the major hole is 70m deep. Could this also allow for warmer Arctic ocean waters to permeate into the lower sediments via run off drainage channels further compromising the coastal strip and allowing for rapid coastal erosion?

Posted

Does anyone really believe that two recent warm summers in that region affected permafrost 70m deep.How does that work?

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 1