Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

early autumn in nature this year?

Posted

I've noticed how early everything in terms of nature has been this year, thanks to the early warmth in March. It seems that everything is at least 2-3 weeks early.

I've seen fungi already. Certain plants which don't usually come into flower until August are in full flower now. Brambles are well advanced and there is likely to be a very early blackberry bonanza this year. I have a small tree which is loosing its leaves already.

Many birds had there chicks early this year.

Last year was a very late season with autumn colours only kicking in during mid October for many. I suspect this year we will see a much earlier show, with leaves turning much earlier.

I also won't be surprised to see spring blooms rearing there head in November and the inevitable headlines such events occur.

Anyone else notice these things.

These are the 'dog day's when the birds lay silent- but perhaps not for too much longer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/01/early-signs-of-autumn-already-appearing-in-natural-world

I saw this in the guardian at the beginning of July.  I myself have noticed a lot of fungi while walking early in the morning.

Posted

Looks like the elderberries are going to be ridiculously early this time around. They're so big and round that they must surely be on the verge of turning colour. Once they start they turn very quickly, and it's usually mid-Sept when they're ripe. Gonna have a bumper, early harvest for wine - a vintage year! The birds can keep their eyes off 'em an' all - they're mine.

Edited by laserguy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yep everything in my Garden is so early this year normally I don't get tomatoes till August but they are ready now, even the strawberries were around 3 to 4 weeks early given the mild winter

Like damianslaw said I wouldn't be surprised either to see some spring bulbs popping up come November if this warm weather continues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Daffodils by December anyone? Lol.

I'm sure Nature will balance things out somewhere along the line. Just hope winter can be as exciting weatherwise but good to nature at the same time.

Posted

It's boiling is all I know here, but definitely seeing signs as shown above. Remember though, reactive, not proactive!

Boiling in Sunderland? about 19C then ;)Although it's been pretty good, the NE has mostly missed out on high temps - especially near the coast -  and here for example not reached 25C yet.The apparent earlyness this year is increased by how late things were last year with the very cold and late spring.I rarely go more than a couple of weeks without taking a few photos, and they are organised on the PC  by year/month/day in folders - very striking how much variation there is from year to year.

It doesn't work like that, a lot of things need a period of cool or cold, or have a kind of inbuilt timer to do with daylength before breaking dormancy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes I think we're slightly ahead this year. Some trees, I notice, start to change colour in August every year but there's signs of colour change already this year and it's nothing to do with disease or dry conditions...they follow the same pattern every year. Also, noticed the spider season seems to have kicked off early this year. Already witnessed a couple of bruisers scuttling across the living room floor.

I'm sure Nature will balance things out somewhere along the line.

Don't worry, it'll balance out in December when we start our '62/'63 redux :p

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised either to see some spring bulbs popping up come November if this warm weather continues

Let's hope not, they'd be leaving themselves open for a potential rude awakening!

Posted

Also horse chestnut already producing conker fruits, a month earlier than usually, again expect very early conkers this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

cannot believe it but my little girl has just brought home a bowl of blackberries!!

Posted

Certainly in my garden many flowers have been at least 7-10 days ahead of their usual time. Some even further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Every year we see subtle differences re fauna/insects etc dependent on a number of factors

I'm glad a very wet winter has kept wasps  numbers down, they were down last year for different reasons

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Ive noticed some of the leaves on the small trees in my housing estate have started to turn,one across from my house nearly half its leaves have turned yellow already and one smaller tree down the way from me all its leaves have turned yellow looks odd for late July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

It was breezy here a couple of days ago and I was quite surprised when I saw quite a few leaves blowing from the trees....reminded me very much of an Autumn day with a windy feel.

Posted

I think leaves turning colour or even dropping in July is more a sign of a lack of water at their roots in the recent past than any early sign of autumn?

• Like 1

Posted

I think leaves turning colour or even dropping in July is more a sign of a lack of water at their roots in the recent past than any early sign of autumn?

i don't know about that but they are situated in quite a damp area near a pond so I would think they are getting some water.

Posted

Thet could possibly be diseased or damaged.

Possibly but they don't look too unhealthy, just a few lighter coloured leaves here and there. Maybe something underlying perhaps.

Posted

The trees aren't diseased or damaged. The same is happening here with the trees that turn the earliest every year since I started noticing such things. They're just 3 weeks or so earlier this year because the trees have been budded since early February. It'll probably be a very early autumn this year in terms of nature. Most trees will probably be completely bare come October bar the usual suspects.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

Despite the early spring we had this year, I would predict the main autumn foliage to occur around the normal dates though, unless we get an unusually cold autumn, which doesn't look likely as of current.

I'm not so sure. Maybe we'll get a long drawn out autumnal show this year (provided we don't get too much rough weather) but they'll almost certainly turn earlier. You can clearly see how much the early spring (preceded by the mild winter) has affected nature.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Blackberries are very early this year already ripening here.

Yes pick a load on the weekend - and very nice they were too!

The weekend before the one just gone, I noticed a lady out picking them in Penarth which I thought was very early.

Here too, taken the other day, some red appearing.

Things seem well advanced of average this year.

Actually there's much riper ones, some are ready to eat already. From another bush today

Posted Image

Also the long grasses have lost their green and turned a lovely golden colour. Does anyone know what butterflies these are, there were masses of them clinging to the tops of the grass in this patch. Came in different shades and the topside of the wings were blue.

Posted Image    Posted Image

Edited by Bobby