Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

early autumn in nature this year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

Autumn started on cue this year in July as usual ( well the past 3 years at least) admittedly I'm on the western fringes of Norway. Birch leaves are turning quite nicely and a few of the softwood trees are also on the turn. We're also seeing increasingly larger flocks of geese flying south too.  We still have swallows ( swifts and / or sand martins) flying around but the number of flies are diminishing.

"I'm never quite sure what nature reacts to the most - temperature or length of daylight.. or simply just time itself" I think it may be a species specific thing, Damienslaw. We've just had our first proper night over Norway ( Definition -  night is when the Sun is more than 18 degrees below the horizon) and the numbers of geese flying south took a big leap up on the day after ( 24th August). As I've mentioned above the swallows still seem to be having fun here.

By the way, blackberries here are still struggling to ripen but I think the wild Chanterelles are doing fine.

One last piece of News - The farmers are really happy 'cos they're going to get a third cut of grass so their silage silos are going to be full to bursting for the winter. This does not happen every year hence the delight.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Damn the silver Birch trees looked fine this morning driving to work along the a420.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

theres an old wives tale that says that if autumn comes early we are in for a mild winter..... no idea if its true lol

God I hope not..

Posted

theres an old wives tale that says that if autumn comes early we are in for a mild winter..... no idea if its true lol

what could be milder than last winter??