Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Remember....

Weather-history

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

R.I.P to all the brave and fallen. Past and present.. 

We shall not forget.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just as a note I was watching the documentary on 'worlds worst natural disasters' just the other day and they reckoned more people died with the'spanish flu' outbreak than during the war,although the flu was thought to have started due to mans proximity to animals in the trenches!!!

Posted

It is sometimes forgotten what horrific casualties the French suffered in August 1914. Greater even than the Somme.

Between 20 and 23 August, 40,000 French soldiers died. By 29 August, total French casualties since the war began reached 260,000, including 75.000 dead. The Third and Fourth Armies in the Ardennes had suffered worst- of the Third's 80,000 infantrymen, 13,000 had fallen. By the evening of 23 August, the 'Battles of the Frontiers' were over. They would remain the entire war's bloodiest daily dashes of arms.

Posted

A personal tribute to my great uncles who never came home to the beautiful scenery depicted in the video.

Remembering all those who fell. RIP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

war only brings suffering to the many but it does raise the heros, let us not forget any of them.

• Like 1

Just as a note I was watching the documentary on 'worlds worst natural disasters' just the other day and they reckoned more people died with the'spanish flu' outbreak than during the war,although the flu was thought to have started due to mans proximity to animals in the trenches!!!

I believe it was in the region of 40 million world wide.

Posted

Some years ago I did some research into meteorology at the Battle of Loos. I posted a small article on here. If anyone is interested in the subject and hasn't seen it here's the link. I never did solve the katabatic question but I suspect we are talking small hillocks.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64572-meteorology-at-the-battle-of-loos/

• Like 1

Posted

Great tribute there G.F, Lovely scenery and pipes.

Posted

A little look at the weather in France for the beginning of the Great War. A link to further details at the bottom of the article.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/la-meteo-au-temps-de-la-grande-guerre/quel-temps-faisait-il-lors-de/...-la-mobilisation

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

From that edition of Symon's Meteorological Magazine

"The Daily Weather Report of the Meteorological Office as issued during the past few weeks, reflects an interesting manner the progress of events in Europe. The earliest symptons of interference may be seen in the absence of the Vienna observations on July 26th, followed on the 27th by St Petersburg and on August 1st by Berlin. During the next few weeks the German stations disappeared one by one from the list. Swedish records also failed on the 1st and all Scandinavian ones on the 7th. From the 4th, part of the French records, including Belfort, were absent, on the 5th the Faeroes and Southern Europe were cut off. Brussels appeared regularly to the 16th but from the 17th to 22nd the Continent was practically unrepresented. The French observations mostly reappeared on the 23rd and on September 5th, the Norwegian records brought back something of the customary appearance of the Daily Weather Report."