Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold nightime minima in August

Posted

With the prospect of a notably cold night this Saturday with mins in low single digits for rural sheltered parts (how many times could we say this last winter!) I wonder if anyone has any stats for cold minima in August?

I have read how even hot summer months such as Aug 1976 unusually brought ground frost to some places.. not sure what caused such an event.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just been checking back the past 10 years, lowest min 1.3c 31/8/2010, nothing below 3c though prior to the last week of the month.

This evening is a notably cool one, currently 4.8c, if it stays clear close to 0c I would think.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Cold minima in August are rare here, SSTs are at their warmest at this time of the year and we're around 8 miles from the coast. 

Since 1980, the lowest recorded was 6.1C on 22nd August 1999 and only five days in 35 years have recorded sub-7C minima. We've also only had 15 days in August with sub-10C minima here in the last 10 years.

Last night managed 7.5C though, which is actually the 12th coldest I've recorded. So about a one in three year event.

• Like 1

Posted

We are just 10 miles from the coast, Pembrey Sands right on the coast also gets cold minima.

• Like 1

Posted

We are just 10 miles from the coast, Pembrey Sands right on the coast also gets cold minima.

Funnily enough your station was the first one I thought of this morning when I checked my minima. It looks like quite a good frost hollow, but I admit I don't know the area well.

Here I'm in a poor location for low minima as there's the Humber to the south-west, the North Sea to the north-east. The best chance is clear skies with no wind at all or a very slight NNW breeze. Unfortunately despite favourable wind direction last night it was a bit too strong and didn't really clear properly until 4am.

No chance tonight though, we're stuck under cloud at 12.1C. Sunday morning looks promising though.

Posted

3.2c now -even considering the near impossible - an August air frost?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My location is not a good one for low minima, being almost at the top of an exposed hill where it's almost always breezy.

The lowest min' I've recorded in August in the last 37 years is 5.1c on the 31st in 1992. The 31st in 2012 came close to that with 5.3c.

The lowest this August,so far, is 6.6c.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at my records over 5 years or so there is normally at least one night below 5C in August. 2010 got to 1.8C on the 31st.It has now been a quite prolonged cool spell and a few more days to go yet.This page has surprising records of low minima - scroll downhttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/

• Like 2

Posted

Min 2.6c around 0100 after which milder air moved down with cloud.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

There could be the first Frosts in many areas tonight, Especially for the North and rural areas.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

^^^^^^

Going by that chart my location is forecast to get down to around 3c tonight.cant see it getting that cold here. The coldest august min ive recorded in ten yrs at this location was 5.2c in late August 2009. SO far this august the coldest temp i recorded so far was last night at 8.2c.

Posted

Its the usual story here, too much patchy cloud and too windy at the moment. We're currently stuck at 11.2C which is actually around a degree higher than an hour ago. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

8.9c here at the moment, which is about 1c higher than this time last night.

Posted

Looked promising for a near zero as it dipped to 5c by 2200 but cloud and light showers spoilt it now over 7c.

Posted

7.6c here with lovely clear sky's.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Cloud been streaming in from the west since before midnight, now affecting most of Britain. Not going to get near the forecasted temps at this rate, thought the cloud wasn't coming till past daybreak?

Posted

Quite windy here but still got down to 4.7CThis last week has been exceptional with daily averages 3-5C below normal, more like mid-October

• Like 1

Posted

Only made it down to 6.6C here. All spoiled by the cloud that arrived after midnight.

Posted

Min Temp of 6.8c here last night.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Well after seeing some rural spots were at 5c at 11pm was very disappointed to find out it only got down to 3c in most places. Im guessing cloud cover was the issue. 4.7C min here comfortably beats the previous August record of 6.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

@bbcweather

Last night was N Ireland's coldest August night on record. Thankfully the UK-wide record of -4.5C remains unbroken!