Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I personally would like any kind of winter, not the long drawn out Autumn that we had up here from September through till April. Some cold, frost, snow and wind in equal measure would be fine thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Good to see these threads again! Like many 09/10 would be wonderful, just not another like last year! I'm encouraged that already we're seeing nice cold days and clear skies, its a start! Just not a mild winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I'll be more than satisfied as long as Mr Murr's sausage makes at least one appearance this Winter.

:shok: Don't actually know what that means, which is probably for the best! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

:shok: Don't actually know what that means, which is probably for the best! :laugh:

As I recall, it is a sausage-shaped high that extends from Scandinavia, through Iceland to Greenland. It was proposed by SM as the ideal HLB synoptic setup for winter.

Can't believe I am posting in a winter thread on September the 2nd, but then again last week I was reading a book about the Quaternary period while lying on a beach in 30C+ heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Good to see these threads again!

Only problem is it will awaken all the winter trolls from hibernation who will return and turn this forum into a shambles once again for a few months

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 3

Posted

good afternoon all, well with summer over and a resonable one at that, i am now hoping for plenty of frosty mornings, crisp winter sunshine, then lots of snow to make up for what we did not get last winter, but if i can be cheeky and just ask the weather gods to make sure saturday 13th of this month is dry, off to Goodwood revival for the motor racing.

• Like 2

Posted

As I recall, it is a sausage-shaped high that extends from Scandinavia, through Iceland to Greenland. It was proposed by SM as the ideal HLB synoptic setup for winter.

Can't believe I am posting in a winter thread on September the 2nd, but then again last week I was reading a book about the Quaternary period while lying on a beach in 30C+ heat.

Thanks for the explanation, learn something new every day! Doesn't sound strange anymore! :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Anything has to be better than last "winter". I don't want to end up feeling like this again:

'It's like watching paint dry....not that paint could actually dry in this weather' :rofl:

Brilliant!

Posted

Lots of frost, a stream of ice days, and at least 10 consecutive days with lying snow that covers everything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation, learn something new every day! Doesn't sound strange anymore! :laugh:

The model thread erupts into excitement if Mr Murrs sausage pops up.

• Like 1

Posted

We haven't had a lengthy cold anticyclonic spell in winter for a while,

I was thinking the same thing. A repeat of 2005-06 would be fine by me if we can't get the right synoptics for significant snow.

Posted

The model thread erupts into excitement if Mr Murrs sausage pops up.

:shok: Hopefully it'll be too cold this winter for that to happen!

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

You'd like to think so but not here. We've had the odd couple of inches, but it melts the same day.

2009 was the first time in over ten years that an inch of snow settled. January 2010 - I was in one of the very few places that didn't have snow settle. December 2010 was OK, but again, about 3 inches fell- it melted a few hours after it stopped snowing. Nothing in 2011/12, a little bit in 2013. Pathetic compared to the late 70's & early 80's

Ah yes I remember it well Mapantz 6th January 2010 the day of the Great red level ( its definitely coming you must take action kind) Met office warning of 12-18 inches of snow for Dorset . Schools closed early people were sent home from work. not a single flake fell possibly one of the greatest Met office fails on record.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

My only hope this winter is that if I do see snow, it is not a pathetic

2cm covering that has thawed by 10am

C.s

Fence covered in snow?

Preferably the fence buried in powdery snow to the extent it is no longer visible with a lovely blue sky and a temp of -5C. 

I all we are going to get is that horrible wet slushy stuff I'm not interested.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

My only hope this winter is that if I do see snow, it is not a pathetic

2cm covering that has thawed by 10am

C.s

Well that's 2cm more than the majority got last Winter!  I didn't even see a hint of sleet.  My hopes for this coming Winter are not particularly high at the moment but at least it can't be any worse than 2013/14 and more importantly, not as wet.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I would be happy just to get our average snow day count for area this year after snow fell a handful of times but only lay twice and melted before 9am next day so officially 0 which is worst I have ever seen  :sorry:

The rain was ridiculous too :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

im hoping for a very snowy winter, wont forget in a hurry March 23rd 2012....where a slider low threw a front over Northern England which stalled as it ran into a blocking high,  and then pivoted. 

best thing was the very strong winds and the concertina effect the Pennines had on the front.. 24 hrs non stop , had a really good dumping of snow in Yorkshire. 

dont know how many of you look at the cfs long range model, but what i viewed tonight was awsome for christmas and christmas week -12 uppers in most of UK. from the east . i wont post charts because at this range its just for fun....probably. ... more than likely tommorrows run will show a raging south westerly. 

its good to see a coldie type of thread appear on the forum so early too  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Here:

Checking in for the early season chatter.....

Still at 2m ASL :(

However future plans for 2016 are houses in north kent somewhere on the downs above 150m !

Cripes Steve, are you really sure you want to buy a house that over a 150m tall, isnt that a block  flats  :rofl:

Joking aside, can i ask you at this very provisional stage, and i mean provisional stage.....what kind of winter do you think we are likely to see?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well that's 2cm more than the majority got last Winter!  I didn't even see a hint of sleet.  My hopes for this coming Winter are not particularly high at the moment but at least it can't be any worse than 2013/14 and more importantly, not as wet.

sorry what I meant was 2cm cover is the norm for here, last winter I

recorded no snow cover

c.s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Do you mean March 23, 2013? That day brought blizzard conditions for most of the country. March 2012, on the other hand, was an exceptionally warm month. 20C was widely reached, almost everywhere in the last week of the month.

Didn't bring any snow here, March 2013 was just cold rain and grey muck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Just snow and plenty of crisp cold days please mother nature

• Like 1