Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2014

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Nothing at all? I got 10-15cm on the night of 22-23 March. Wow, just goes to show what a difference a few miles can make! :)

Anyway, my dream for this year would be for a huge snowstorm to arrive late-morning on Christmas Eve and to last through until midday on Christmas Day. A bit ambitious, but could happen!

You never know. The huge snow storms that swept the country between Christmas Day and New Years Eve in 1962 are legendary. Lows pumping up from  Biscay against intense Arctic Continental air mass covering all of the British Isles, blizzards and white outs, even in places not used to seeing much snow. Oh and it stayed on the ground for 8 weeks or more and longer in the hills.  Huge drifts on our farm in Cheshire I remember and that was only at 90m asl.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Nothing at all? I got 10-15cm on the night of 22-23 March. Wow, just goes to show what a difference a few miles can make! :)

Anyway, my dream for this year would be for a huge snowstorm to arrive late-morning on Christmas Eve and to last through until midday on Christmas Day. A bit ambitious, but could happen!

Not a sausage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

There's nothing worse than snow all around but missing your area totally. In central/Strathclyde we have had some great snow events in recent times, but totally missed others with neighbours just a few miles away getting pasted

• Like 1

Posted

Just out of curiosity, how many are that bothered with a white Christmas, or would actually prefer just a white festive period? For me if the run up to Christmas is properly wintery I find that more satisfying than a white Christmas - which is still great of course

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just out of curiosity, how many are that bothered with a white Christmas, or would actually prefer just a white festive period? For me if the run up to Christmas is properly wintery I find that more satisfying than a white Christmas - which is still great of course

Of course, I always have a white Christmas at 1760m absl, but in the UK , it must be rare and so when it happens its special, just like on all those Christmas Cards !. I prefer a pre- Christmas cold spells with intense cold and minimum daylight, but I am just a freezer geek.

• Like 2

Posted

Of course, I always have a white Christmas at 1760m absl, but in the UK , it must be rare and so when it happens its special, just like on all those Christmas Cards !. I prefer a pre- Christmas cold spells with intense cold and minimum daylight, but I am just a freezer geek.

I'm with you there, a cold crisp and frosty run up is amazing, would happily have that kind of weather every day

• Like 1

Posted

....for wishing your life away.....

Who I wonder on the 1st of September put on their 'status update'              " Its Halloween next month".................... :whistling:  :D

• Like 3

Posted

Its a long time since the UK has seen a nationwide blizzard around Christmas-new year period. The last time this occurred was way back on New Years Eve 1978/New Years Day 1979.

There have been localised heavy snowfalls during the period in certain parts of the country, most notably the Christmas eve blizzard of 1995 which affected Shetland and NE Scotland badly.

Christmas 2000 delivered heavy snowfalls in western Scotland and N Ireland. 2009 and 2010 delivered heavy snowfall in the run up to Christmas rather than Christmas- new year period - so I am discounting this one, however, there was some snow on 27th Dec 2010 in northern parts.

Generally most snowfalls between Christmas and new year have been localised fairly small affairs on most occasions. In recent years the run up to Christmas and the period after new year have seen the heaviest snowfalls.

We've had many stormy wet spells in recent years - last year being an example, 1997-1999 also, so perhaps we are long overdue a nationwide blizzard between Christmas and new year.

I like Christmas- new year period to be cold, snow is a bonus. We have seen many cold periods in recent years so not done too badly at all, but a repeat of last year would be awful, indeed the last 3 Christmas-new year periods have been abymsal, cloudy wet mild weather prevailing in complete contrast to the 2008-2010 period. We are due a colder period this year at least.

• Like 1

Posted

Its a long time since the UK has seen a nationwide blizzard around Christmas-new year period. The last time this occurred was way back on New Years Eve 1978/New Years Day 1979.

There have been localised heavy snowfalls during the period in certain parts of the country, most notably the Christmas eve blizzard of 1995 which affected Shetland and NE Scotland badly.

Christmas 2000 delivered heavy snowfalls in western Scotland and N Ireland. 2009 and 2010 delivered heavy snowfall in the run up to Christmas rather than Christmas- new year period - so I am discounting this one, however, there was some snow on 27th Dec 2010 in northern parts.

Generally most snowfalls between Christmas and new year have been localised fairly small affairs on most occasions. In recent years the run up to Christmas and the period after new year have seen the heaviest snowfalls.

We've had many stormy wet spells in recent years - last year being an example, 1997-1999 also, so perhaps we are long overdue a nationwide blizzard between Christmas and new year.

I like Christmas- new year period to be cold, snow is a bonus. We have seen many cold periods in recent years so not done too badly at all, but a repeat of last year would be awful, indeed the last 3 Christmas-new year periods have been abymsal, cloudy wet mild weather prevailing in complete contrast to the 2008-2010 period. We are due a colder period this year at least.

Oh I sure hope your right, last year seems to be universally and rightly viewed as a terrible winter (but not the good type of terrible Lol)

to be honest im not to fussed about a white xmas (it makes it difficult to travel to family for the day) id rather a white january... much more fun after the come down from christmas lol

Posted

I think for me the run up is more important than the aftermath, just feels nicer knowing that the Xmas break is coming when things are cold crisp and hopefully snowy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I like December to be on the cold side but not very cold, dry, crisp and sunny. It adds to the festive atmosphere when doing Christmas shopping. A December 2010 would bring great problems if it were to occur around the Christmas period as it would cause traffic chaos. Plus lots of snow + people walking about + salt and grit just leads to a horrible dirty mush. Christmas day itself i wouldnt mind if it were 15c.

Edited by Milhouse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

The computer says [issued 02/09/2014 15:16:59]

post-4783-0-45372800-1373543020_zps35309

sorry, couldn't help it  :rofl: 

Maybe it'll snow this Christmas.

Then again, maybe it won't snow this Christmas.

Then again, only 112 days for a few minor alterations in the current forecasts.

Edited by Convective
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have mentioned this before but how rare has rain been on Christmas Day recently? And I mean just rain not a wintry mix. Not had a wet Christmas Day here for years.

micturated it down 2009 and 2011.

Posted

micturated it down 2009 and 2011.

Diary entry for Christmas 2011 is dry, cloudy very mild. A little bit of rain on Christmas 2009.

I have to go back to 1998 for a Christmas Day with any mention of heavy rain.

I think that the last occasion of an active Atlantic system tracking across a large part of the UK on Christmas Day was in 1997 and even then here there was gap here in the frontal rain and we got hardly anything from it!

The last very active frontal system to cross the UK on Christmas Day was way back in 1990. That was last really wet Christmas Day here.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

A wet Xmas day would be miserable I think, unless it was very heavy and windy, dark and stormy. A drizzly affair would be dreadful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

You used to get starting odds of 10/1 on snow on Christmas day

now they are just being stingy

Today for the airports Ladbrokes

5/1 Birimingham, Liverpool and Cardiff

4/1 Belfast, London , Manchester

3/1 edinburgh and Glasgow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Great news... The bookies must know something we don't :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

London should be 20/1, or more, that's how rare snow is down here on Christmas day!

Great news... The bookies must know something we don't :yahoo:

Or they have read James Madden's winter forecast! :laugh:

• Like 1

That is stingy. A white Christmas in Cardiff every 5 years, I think not! And of course nobody can forecast that far ahead with any accuracy.

I like December to be on the cold side but not very cold, dry, crisp and sunny. It adds to the festive atmosphere when doing Christmas shopping. A December 2010 would bring great problems if it were to occur around the Christmas period as it would cause traffic chaos. Plus lots of snow + people walking about + salt and grit just leads to a horrible dirty mush. Christmas day itself i wouldnt mind if it were 15c.

So you would rather have mild wet gusty southwesterlies that might bring misery to many, figures really from you, scorcher or SS, complete scrooge's at Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

This would be nice:

archivesnh-1970-12-25-12-2.png

Suspect this'll be more likely:

gfsnh-2011122506-0-6.png?6

• Like 1