Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2014

Stuart

Posted

Suspect this'll be more likely:

gfsnh-2011122506-0-6.png?6

If you go by the latest TWO Christmas forecast then you be best off to go the USA and find some snow there.

Issued 04/09/2014 15:06:35
(theweatheroutlook)
It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in Scotland.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland.
It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Netherlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Too far off still to be sure, be nice for my 2YO neice to see it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Diary entry for Christmas 2011 is dry, cloudy very mild. A little bit of rain on Christmas 2009.

I have to go back to 1998 for a Christmas Day with any mention of heavy rain.

I think that the last occasion of an active Atlantic system tracking across a large part of the UK on Christmas Day was in 1997 and even then here there was gap here in the frontal rain and we got hardly anything from it!

The last very active frontal system to cross the UK on Christmas Day was way back in 1990. That was last really wet Christmas Day here.

I remember xmas eve about 8pm 2011, it was hammering down with a massive South Westerly or Westerly and I don't think it had cleared by midnight, and 2009 I remember a massive band of rain because I had a load of various location bets on whether it was going to be a white xmas or not, got them all right I think in the end, it was whether it would be snow as it reached Scotland or Not, cant remember the exact details but it was a SWerly trying to blast the cold out of the way, the rest of Dec and Jan will go down in history of course. The 90-91 winter was an awesome winter, I had 2 inches of hail on xmas day in 1990, that winter had absolutely everything, 2 monumental blizzards, the second coinciding with some ridiculously low temps, some really stormy weather in early Jan, a morning of sheet ice (without any snow having fallen) where my dad was struggling to drive me to school in January, and just for mild fans so there was something for everyone, late Feb was well above average with an incredible switch from early Feb.

Posted

I have mentioned this before but how rare has rain been on Christmas Day recently? And I mean just rain not a wintry mix. Not had a wet Christmas Day here for years.

Yes I'm struggling to remember the last wet Christmas Day here. Many recent Christmas Days have been dry and fine, or dull and dank but not wet. I think it was probably either 1997, 1998 or 1999. These three years delivered very wet stormy conditions over the Christmas period, Christmas eve 97 brought torrential rain and severe gales, we had a powercut Christmas day, but I now remember the storm blasted itself out for morning, so I think that was a dry one. Boxing Day 98 saw another powerful storm. I can't remember the weather on Christmas day itself possibly light rain... Christmas Day 99 I do seem to remember being quite showery..

Quite unusual to see no wet day since. A window of dry weather has seemed to occur on Christmas day uncannily. Even last year saw a calm window of weather develop just in time for Christmas day and Boxing Day before the return of stormy weather on the 27th. I remember 2011 delivered a very wet Christmas eve, but a dry Christmas day.

• Like 1

Posted

We've had a christmas with snow on the ground, but I fail to remember seeing snow fall on Christmas Day... I think the odds for London should be 50/1 december is typically a mobile month, past few xmas have been cloudy cool rubbish :( I hope this year it will be frosty and crisp.. Snow would be superb :D

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes I'm struggling to remember the last wet Christmas Day here. Many recent Christmas Days have been dry and fine, or dull and dank but not wet. I think it was probably either 1997, 1998 or 1999. These three years delivered very wet stormy conditions over the Christmas period, Christmas eve 97 brought torrential rain and severe gales, we had a powercut Christmas day, but I now remember the storm blasted itself out for morning, so I think that was a dry one. Boxing Day 98 saw another powerful storm. I can't remember the weather on Christmas day itself possibly light rain... Christmas Day 99 I do seem to remember being quite showery..

Quite unusual to see no wet day since. A window of dry weather has seemed to occur on Christmas day uncannily. Even last year saw a calm window of weather develop just in time for Christmas day and Boxing Day before the return of stormy weather on the 27th. I remember 2011 delivered a very wet Christmas eve, but a dry Christmas day.

2012 was a very wet Xmas Eve here, to be expected though as Xmas is when the Atlantic is in full pelt, any snow is on hills of Scotland from the westerlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2007 was last wet one here.

The last Christmasses here:

2013: 05.0C / 00.5C ; bright and chilly with light winds

2012: 08.4C / 03.9C ; cloudy with sunny intervals

2011: 10.7C / 07.4C ; grey, cloudy and breezy

2010: -0.8C / -9.3C ; sunny spells, no wind, snow on the ground

2009: 04.1C / -1.8C ; frosty and sunny all day

2008: 05.5C / 01.7C ; increasingly bright with a freshening easterly wind

2007: 09.2C / 02.3C ; dull and calm after overnight heavy rain (24.4mm)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Here..

2013: 7C/0C, cloudy, dry

2012: 8C/2C, some rain

2011: 14C/9C, cloudy, dry

2010: 2C/-9C, sunny, frosty, a dusting of snow on the ground. Remember the fountain in a garden across the road being frozen with massive ice crystals hanging of the branches.

2009: 2C/-3C with a few inches of snow on the ground, blue skies & sunshine all day. WONDERFUL! Best Christmas for me.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

2009, here was a getting milder day, snow on the ground most of the day

2010, was great my coldest night at -11.5C, max -5.1C in good snow cover, turned less cold from the west on mon 27th

2011, mild dry

2012 and 2013, typical low pressure/Atlantic weather

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The second update sticks with the fairly changeable and average picture for the the UK during the Christmas period. This means a predominantly westerly flow is considered likely with the highest chance of snow falling over higher ground in northern parts of the UK. Snow over low ground Britain would not be expected in this type of set-up.

Recent years have brought a range of weather during the festive season to the UK, and there have been some notable cold spells. This year at the present time background signals look fairly neutral but things could change during the autumn.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 10%

Forecast issued

Update 2, 06/09/2014

The computer says [issued 07/09/2014 07:05:03]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Wales
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Midlands
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the north
  • Snow is expected in Scotland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Republic of Ireland
  • Cold conditions in the Netherlands are expected. Marginal for rain or snow

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Would everyone settle for just a little snow, or is a whiteout situation that people are hoping for?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Would everyone settle for just a little snow, or is a whiteout situation that people are hoping for?

Just 2 feet would be fine! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

Just 2 feet would be fine! :laugh:

agree, for me just even a little snow but nice cold mornings, crisp etc - not too much to ask lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Settle for snow falling. Though the whiteout conditions would be exceptional!!

Posted

Since 1993 we have done preety well in terms of snow falling or lying on the ground on Christmas day.

1993 - a white sugar coating on the ground with snow showers early on.

1995 - again a light cover on the ground with snow showers early on - bitterly cold, sub freezing day.

2001 - snow showers later on

2004 - an inch of snow fell through the day

2009 - a good six inches on the ground, sub-freezing temps

2010 - a couple of inches on the ground and a surprise 1 and half hour snow shower before lunchtime.

We've also had a few very cold frosty Christmas days - 1996, 2000, 2005.

Compared to the 70's and 80's when snow falling or lying on Christmas day was almost non-existant. 1981 being the only case I believe, possibly 1970.

Posted

To be honest I don't really care so much about snow on Xmas day. Just the period in general. Snow on Xmas eve would for me be more of an event, I prefer Xmas eve generally for some reason lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Odd as snow on the run up and the day would be more disruptive than people expect and could ruin a perfectly good family day.

just saying :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

That was the snowiest week leading to Christmas Day I have seen around here. Snowed on the 19th, 20th, 22nd and 23rd December.

Love it... Love the radio reports in the back ground on how bad it is, towards the end of your video..... and the tunes of course.... The Whispers, it's a love thing :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

That was one of the best lead up to xmas with the weather,it snowed on and off all week,it just made things magical,a proper xmas feeling,didn't snow xmas day but lying snow,happy with that.

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The third update slightly increases the chances of snow falling in northern areas on Christmas day, but generally a fairly average picture is expected. This means a predominantly westerly flow with the best chance of snow falling over higher ground in northern parts of the UK. Snow over low ground would not be expected in this type of set-up.

Recent years have brought a range of weather during the festive season to the UK, and there have been some notable cold spells. This year at the present time background signals look fairly neutral but things could change during the autumn.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 10%

Forecast issued

Update 3, 14/09/2014

The computer says [issued 15/09/2014 07:17:22]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
  • Snow is expected in Wales
  • Snow is expected in the Midlands
  • Snow is expected in the north
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • Snow is expected in Northern Ireland
  • Snow is expected in the Republic of Ireland
  • Snow is expected in the Netherlands

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

To be honest I don't really care so much about snow on Xmas day. Just the period in general. Snow on Xmas eve would for me be more of an event, I prefer Xmas eve generally for some reason lol

i know exactly what you mean.  Snow falling on Christmas Eve would be somewhat magical and just be perfect leading up to Christmas Day (obviously the snow would start falling once everyone had got to where they needed to be for christmas day.lol).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

From as far back as I can remember(i am now 36) my first white Christmas was 2005 with snow falling and lying snow, the same for Christmas 2009 and 2010. Last year there was heavy snow falling on Christmas eve early hours to the afternoon but the temps where not cold enough, by Christmas day there was only patches of snow left except on higher ground where we visited my inlaws! It was a cold crisp Christmas day with a severe frost that night! Against the odds Christmas 2013 was still a memorable one for me :) hopefully this year can be one for all of us!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Xmas day last yr was actually one of the coldest days of last winter here,a bright sunny pretty cold and crisp day. There werent too many of them kind of days last winter.