UK "Snow Streamer" events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

3rd to 5th Feb '03, 30th Nov to 02 Dec '10

Xmas day '04, not a huge amount but a white Xmas

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

The menai straights streamer it stretches s/sw to n/ne and can bring shower activity in any northerly and southwesterly direction

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Great read there! Being on the other side of the country, the streamers we get here are often affected by the Severn Estuary, more so at the front end of the season and then it's luck of the draw where streamers set up during the second half of the winter. Here are some examples that produced shower streamers off the Severn Estuary and gave quite localised differences in snow amounts.

Rrea00120041225.gif

Christmas Day 2004 brought snow shower after snow shower during the morning here but due to being right on the edge of the streamer only 2.5cm accumulated. Some places on the Mendips had much better totals apparently.

Rrea00120051125.gif

Showers lined up nicely on a NNW flow and intensified on crossing the Severn Estuary from Wales during the early morning. Showers became confined to areas further west during the afternoon. This day brought a classic Pembrokeshire dangler.

Rrea00120060301.gif

Again in the early morning, a line of showers set up between about 04:00 and 09:00 giving repeated snowfalls. A very similar day to 25/11/2005 in that showers became confined further west as the day progressed only this time a lot of the morning snow melted in sparkling sunshine during the afternoon.

Rrea00120091221.gif

This is perhaps the best one in recent years with a direct flow off the Severn Estuary so my area got blasted with 10cm, more on higher ground. Clevedon, 5 miles to the northwest received noticeably more but areas south of had less than an inch.

Rrea00120101217.gif

and this would be the second best example of recent years. Again, I was right on the edge but remember driving out of Bristol late afternoon in the sunshine and driving into dark skies and blizzard-like conditions by the time I got to Yatton. Some areas south of the Mendips were knee-deep in the stuff by the following morning.

I can't remember specific occurrences in years before the first chart but these are a few examples. Each situation is slightly different but the general concensus is a northerly with a westerly element can do the trick here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Can someone with a bit more knowledge than me explain what sort of set up we'd need to get something like the Buffalo event in Britain?

Im unaware of the exact conditions they had over there but the North Sea would have to be warmer than it currently is and we would need to see sub -20 850hpa upper air temps crossing on a strong easterly gale, even then I'm not sure we would get 7 feet ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Can't remember the exact date (possibly Sunday 5th into Monday 6th) in Dec 2010 wow what a snowfall it was a good 4 to 6 inches fell overnight then the Monday morning was a winter wonderland

snow-shovel-shovel-frozen-freeze-smiley-

• Like 3

Posted

8th JAN.2003.

Rrea00120030108.gif

Perhaps doesnt look much at face value but 6 hours later a convergence zone developed in the Thames Estuary and a snow streamer began around the Southend area and developed further WSW, towards N.W. Kent and S.E. London. Started snowing here, on the Kent/London border, around 7 a.m. and finally petered out in the early afternoon, depositing around 4 inches. Worst hit areas reported around 8/9 inches, between Southend and Dartford, also places with a bit of elevation over N.W.Kent.

I remember this event quite well. I was only 13 at the time and remember thinking how great the timing of it was (7am ish) as it meant I got the day off of school. Alot of people got stuck for most of the day unfortunately.

I think I had 5-6 inches here and it seemed to be turn into more 'wet snow' just before midday for about an hour. It petered out here mid afternoon and at one point we had some of the 'polystyrene balls' that Paul referred to a few year later.

Definitely the Greenhithe/Dartford area bore the brunt of it with patches of snow remaining considerably longer than in Medway.

ETA: Does anyone have the post from Paul with his explanation of the 'polystyrene balls'?

Edited by Hellboy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Wash streamer late Dec 09 produced several inches of powder here (more than a foot inland at selected spots). I don't think we could ever get the low enough upper temps, high enough SSTs and large enough depression from the North to East quadrant to produce several feet (outside of a drift).

• Like 1

Posted

I don't think we've had a thames streamer since 09' :)

god we are overdue one they are a thing of beauty - the build up is is pure ecstasy! Very unpredictable And what follows, does not disappoint I'd take it over a west to east, snow event any day of the week.

In 09' we got 25cm-30cm super impressive for my location total gridlock it doesn't happen often

• Like 2

Great read there! Being on the other side of the country, the streamers we get here are often affected by the Severn Estuary, more so at the front end of the season and then it's luck of the draw where streamers set up during the second half of the winter. Here are some examples that produced shower streamers off the Severn Estuary and gave quite localised differences in snow amounts.

Rrea00120041225.gif

Christmas Day 2004 brought snow shower after snow shower during the morning here but due to being right on the edge of the streamer only 2.5cm accumulated. Some places on the Mendips had much better totals apparently.

Rrea00120051125.gif

Showers lined up nicely on a NNW flow and intensified on crossing the Severn Estuary from Wales during the early morning. Showers became confined to areas further west during the afternoon. This day brought a classic Pembrokeshire dangler.

Rrea00120060301.gif

Again in the early morning, a line of showers set up between about 04:00 and 09:00 giving repeated snowfalls. A very similar day to 25/11/2005 in that showers became confined further west as the day progressed only this time a lot of the morning snow melted in sparkling sunshine during the afternoon.

Rrea00120091221.gif

This is perhaps the best one in recent years with a direct flow off the Severn Estuary so my area got blasted with 10cm, more on higher ground. Clevedon, 5 miles to the northwest received noticeably more but areas south of had less than an inch.

Rrea00120101217.gif

and this would be the second best example of recent years. Again, I was right on the edge but remember driving out of Bristol late afternoon in the sunshine and driving into dark skies and blizzard-like conditions by the time I got to Yatton. Some areas south of the Mendips were knee-deep in the stuff by the following morning.

I can't remember specific occurrences in years before the first chart but these are a few examples. Each situation is slightly different but the general concensus is a northerly with a westerly element can do the trick here.

Many of those events delivered snow here, on the evening of 25 Dec 2004, we had snow showers, but only gave around 1 inch and it turned slushy by Boxing Day morning, however this is not as good as a similar event on 25 Dec 01 which gave several inches of snow, and stuck around for a few days.

25 Nov 2005 gave around 4 inches of snow and this stuck around for a number of days.

17 Dec 2010 was a fairly rare beast, not only a snow streamer which gave about 4-5 inches of snow, the cold at that time, meant that is stuck for around 10-11 days.

Late December 09 doesn't ring any bells but I'll check my records

After such a good start to the century in terms of NNW winds giving snow streamers, things have gone very quiet on that front for a number of years.

• Like 1

Posted

The only major event for this low area of England is 30 Nov-1 Dec 2010 when in 12 hours we had 35cm dropped on this area. I did a fairly detailed post which you might find somewhere in Net Wx files with a map showing 20, 30 and 40+cm in Lincs, Yorks and Derbyshire, along with T-phi info, sat piccs etc.

found it amongst my own files, so hope it copies into here

Snowfall of 30 November into 1 December in this area.doc

I was going to upload some photos/videos of around my house but not able to will try again tomorrow

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted

Im unaware of the exact conditions they had over there but the North Sea would have to be warmer than it currently is and we would need to see sub -20 850hpa upper air temps crossing on a strong easterly gale, even then I'm not sure we would get 7 feet ..

So basically the mother of all NE'lys and a huge dose of luck?

• Like 1

Posted

The best streamer events here in recent years were:

17 Dec 2010 Cheshire Gap setup established during the early hours, and persisted with showers on and off till the evening. Was quite localised though, 8cm had accumulated in Shrewsbury by the evening but there was barely 1cm just 5 miles to the west. The following day had more general snow where the areas that missed out got in on the act

1-2 Dec 2010. A rare case of a Wash streamer reaching all the way here, giving 2 days of snow showers that accumulated to 7cm.

25 Dec 2004 a brief one but good while it lasted, Cheshire gap again. 3cm fell in less than an hour during the evening to give a white Christmas. Only lasted till the 27th.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Strangely I posted about almost exactly the same thing earlier ('North Sea effect' snow moreso since that's by far the most common round here):

A few of these from memory:

archives-2005-2-23-0-0.png

One of the better snowfalls here from the February 2005 cold spell, got 3 inches off this one in Freuchie from about 18 hours worth of snow showers from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning, although melted soon after.

archives-2007-2-8-12-0.png

Quite an impressive snowfall in an otherwise awful winter for snow, although that was partly because we were in Crieff at the time.

archives-2009-2-2-12-0.png

About 3 inches from this in the ultimately disappointing February 2009 cold spell, our convective accumulations were melted by a front moving north from London introducing less cold uppers which turned the snow to rain. 

December 2009/January 2010:

archives-2009-12-17-12-0.png?

The first snowfall of that exceptional spell, as with the February '09 one featured (I believe) a Forth-Clyde streamer (or was that the rare 'Tay-Clyde' streamer event?) which gave substantial snow all the way through the central belt to Glasgow. 

archives-2009-12-31-12-0.png?

The Inverness hogmanay blizzard. Not much snow this far south but impressive totals for the Highlands.

archives-2010-1-2-12-0.png?

Decent easterly this with snow already on the ground almost everywhere, another Forth-Clyde streamer and places either side of the Forth got pelted, moreso south Fife. 

November 2010:

archives-2010-11-29-0-0.png?

The ultimate convective easterly, brought well over a foot for most of eastern Scotland, the most snow I can remember, and I think almost everywhere had some cover from it. After a trough which was characteristically similar to a polar low brought heavy snow and 1-2 inches in a very short space of time on the Friday night the main event kicked off on a frigid Saturday evening, when the wind shifted easterly and the first band headed inland. After that, wave after wave of snow came in only eventually stopping by the Friday, and even then we still had another snowfall the following Monday.

archives-2010-12-19-12-0.png?

One that delivered a fair amount (4 inches widely, more like 8 I think for parts of Edinburgh) but promised even more. So slack was the flow that the first wave of snow sat out in the North Sea for about 8 hours on Saturday night before eventually making landfall, after which the more sporadic showers (which are usually better IMO) brought snow inland throughout Sunday.

archives-2013-3-11-0-0.png

Synoptically one of the best of recent times in the best month (and actually the coldest too) synoptically since December 2010, but with lower SSTs and stronger sunlight than during the early part of winter it could've been so much better. Still, -5C with snow falling on the Monday morning was impressive and so was almost managing to get an ice day in central Edinburgh in mid-March. 

Another few events, broadening out to streamers in general:
archives-2009-12-21-12-0.png

Another from the incredible December '09-January 2010 spell, a Clyde-Forth streamer which delivered a few inches across the central belt.

archives-2010-12-6-12-0.png

A very interesting event where a trough developed along the (almost unforecast) west-to east 'kink' in the flow almost perfectly aligned topographically for central Scotland, bringing over a foot to the M 8 and leading to the sacking of our transport minister for failing to consult the forum instead of relying on the MO ice/1-2cm of snow yellow warning issued the night before (upgraded to orange once the snow was already on the ground) :rofl:

archives-2013-1-19-0-0.png

The classic Newcastle-Fort William streamer, another quirky snowfall which was short lived but very heavy and gave 1-3 inches for much of northern Britain, moreso central, southern and eastern Scotland and northeast England.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Don't forget the classic Pembrokeshire Dangler too, this bought heavy snowfall to Western area around the 25th November 2005 :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Don't forget the classic Pembrokeshire Dangler too, this bought heavy snowfall to Western area around the 25th November 2005 :)

Not just Pembrokeshire that got affected then either. We were living in Pontyclun at the time and got a good 5/6 inches out of that north northwesterly.

• Like 1

Posted

Not just Pembrokeshire that got affected then either. We were living in Pontyclun at the time and got a good 5/6 inches out of that north northwesterly.

The 2005 event was the best I've experienced, affecting parts much further east than usual.  Here in Carmarthenshire we had the deepest snowfall I'd seen since at least 1996, possibly longer (although we've since had more in Feb '07, Jan '10, Dec '10 and Jan '13, so that may just illustrate how poor the 1997 - 2004 period was for snow here).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4470188.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4468222.stm

Some good analysis here: http://www.geologywales.co.uk/storms/autumn05b.htm

J10's earlier post also reminded me of the 2001 event which delivered some decent snowfall on Boxing Day for us:

Rrea00120011226.gif

We also had a dusting on Christmas Day 2004. For Christmas Day snowfall though 1993 was the best I can remember, although looking at the charts I'm not convinced it was a northerly streamer set-up:

Rrea00119931225.gif

• Like 1

Posted

December 17th 2010 was a classic streamer in these parts. It was very localised with a band of very narrow, very intense snow stretched across Wales from NW to SE. Fortunately I was under it for the duration and it deposited 12-15 inches eventually.

Pictures here.

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/13037-picture-11467jpg/

December 21st 2009 was quite an unusual event in that it saw a continuous stream of showers moving into South Wales from the Bristol Channel; very localised but that deposited five inches or so in these parts. 

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A quick thanks to all those who have shared their "Streamer" experiences and an additional thanks to FetchCB for posting a link to Paul Shermans' superb analysis of that Feb 2009 event.

Another favourite "Streamer" event of mine occurred in Feb 1983 but as it took place on the East Kent coast, it entailed a "Snow Chase" trek by train/bus, across the whole length of the county, from my home in Bromley (Kent/London border).

FEB 7th/8th 1983

Rrea00119830207.gif

Rrea00119830208.gif

The Winter of 1982/1983 had been pretty mild and non-eventful up until the first week of February but the situation changed rapidly on the 5th/6th, as an area of low pressure dived SE from Iceland, down through the N.Sea, to settle over N.Italy, meanwhile a mid-Atlantic high threw up a ridge towards the Greenland/Iceland area and a very cold N/NE flow became established by the 7th, especially over the E/SE of the UK. Obviously, without access to weather radar I was unaware of the amount of snow that was falling, moreso to the extreme east of Kent. I became alerted to the situation whilst listening to a broadcast by Philip Eden, during a weather slot he had at the time, on LBC radio, a staion that can be heard in the London area. A 36 hour streamer had set-up in the N/NE flow and had given copious amounts of snow, all the way from the extreme NE tip of Kent down towards the Folkestone area.

I promptly phoned my place of work and hastily arranged to have the day off (9th Feb). On the Kent/London border we'd had a few lightish snow showers that had given a sporadic covering. I was concerned that I was about to embark on a "wild goose chase" but I neednt had feared the outcome. As my train sped eastwards, deeper into Kent, more definite patches of snow could be seen on the tops of the N.Downs as we approached the Medway towns of Rochester/Chatham and Gillingham. Once we had cleared Faversham, snow depths increased as this part of the N.Kent coast is fully exposed to the NE, no longer being sheltered by the Isle of Sheppey. On reaching Canterbury depths had increased further, around 3"/4". The railway line then turns SE towards Dover and it was here that the full effect of this streamer could be viewed, as we travelled on through the old Kent coal mining villages of Snowdown (well named!) and Shepherdswell, I estimate snow depths were around 9" or so. Finally my train arrived at Dover, snow lay around 6" deep around the town, even down on the seafront, a mantle of white lay a few inches deep.

But I wanted more, Philip Eden had mentioned some of the heaviest falls had occurred on the extreme eastern end of the N.Downs, between Dover and Folkestone, at the village of Capel-le-Ferne (500/550 ft asl). Locating Dovers' Bus Station, I managed to find the service that runs to Folkestone via Capel. As I boarded the bus and enquired about the fare to Capel, the driver gave me a look and questioned my sanity but I insisted that I wanted to be put down at Capel. As the bus climbed the West Hill out of Dover, I actually started to doubt my own sanity, as the landscape became one mass of white, with no discernible features no longer visible. 

We finally arrived at Capel and with the driver mumbling something like "I told you so and good luck", I stepped off the bus and promptly sank into snow, an inch or so, above my knees ! I decided that my safest route would be to keep to those areas of pathway that had been cleared. Although I had taken the precaution of wearing plenty of layers of clothing, the NE wind was unforgiving and literally took my breath away. I walked along to the cliff top above the Channel and encountered a few of the locals attempting to clear their driveways. That part of the Kent coast is littered with many bungalows and the drifting of the snow, was a sight to behold, up to the eaves of the properties, probably 10 feet or so in places. Speaking to some of the locals it seems that once the snow showers had initiated, they continued virtually unabated for a day and a half and there were reports of a few properties being damaged by lightning strikes, along the E.Kent coast.

I decided that I'd had enough, as my whole body by that time was starting to feel numb with cold, so I then proceeded to catch the next available bus back down into Dover and then caught a train and returned home to Bromley.

Analysis of the event showed that part of the reason for such high snowfall rates in the area, accompanied by frequent lightning/thunder, was due to unseasonably high SSTs in the southern N.Sea/Dover Straits, adjacent to the E.Kent coast.

It certainly was an amazing experience and one that triggered my fascination for these "Snow Streamer" events. And any of you snow junkies out there who like their snow especially deep, crisp and drifted, and live in striking distance of the area, I would certainly recommend a trip up to Capel-le-Ferne, when conditions are ripe for an East Kent streamer! 

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 6