Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netweather Winter Forecast 2014/15 - A Cold Hearted Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Well, the Express are ramping it now... :D

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/540842/Weather-forecast-winter-bitter-freeze-UK

Pretty out of order though really.

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Well, the Express are ramping it now... :D

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/540842/Weather-forecast-winter-bitter-freeze-UK

Pretty out of order though really.

Yep, please ignore that - it's clearly just a heavily spun, overly dramatic article which doesn't represent the truth of what's written in the forecast. Not good really...

• Like 6

Posted

Yep, please ignore that - it's clearly just a heavily spun, overly dramatic article which doesn't represent the truth of what's written in the forecast. Not good really...

When I clicked the link I get a message saying i've been hacked....suggest leaving it well alone!

Great forecast guys, here's hoping we get the SSW to kick it all off.

Edited by KTtom

Posted

When I clicked the link I get a message saying i've been hacked....suggest leaving it well alone!

The express are among a number of sites which have had issues with hacking today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30232899

Posted

Weird. I just lifted it straight from their website.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Does that mean, your computer is now screwed or not?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

bloody annoying that they associate Ed & 'Jalapeno Tony' with that crappy article.........how are they allowed to publish such crap, not to mention the misrepresentation of NetWeather?

just to add, as far as the real NW forecast for the winter, great work Ed & Tony!

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 2

Posted

Their whole reporting style is bad. To me the worst quote was "Forecasters Ed O’Toole and Tony Wells warned winter will be hit by major cold snaps rivalling the worst winters in British history."

They then modified the statement in the paragraph underneath, but the note that grabbed readers was the first part.

Oh well, maybe we will have terrifying cold spells and the guys can become legends!  :ninja: 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Irrespective of how this winter turns out can I just say thank you for such an informative easy to understand forecast. This whole forum makes learning the basics absolutely fascinating. ( and im even starting to understand a little bit of the " not so bssic" at last!) Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Posted

I left a tweet on Mr Rao's Twitter account regarding this

http://mobile.twitter.com/expressnathan

Yours was a considered post - others weren't so polite!

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Just to add my thanks for the forecast, as always very well explained and clearly a lot of work has gone into it.  I like the prospect of a 'cold hearted' winter with the core of any cold spell falling in late December / early January - in my opinion the best time to experience cold weather to make it very seasonal - so am hoping the forecast is a success!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

As always a very informative and interesting forecast . Netweather forecasts in general do quite well , and get the general picture normally correct , last year aside of course but nobody saw that coming .

All the best with the success , I'm touting for a very interesting season myself , it's as interesting as the 2012/13 forecast , which really was better than the reality , but in the main a very good synoptic year that was . Bar the failed dec easterly !

Let it snow let it snow let it snow ! . . .

• Like 1

Posted

A very good easy to read forecast with plenty of credence. It does indeed sound like what some would call a good old fashioned winter, with true winter conditions not setting in until Christmas time (as you would normally expect, first half of Dec is notorious for being atlantic mild driven), core of cold in January with the strong chance of a cold February. Sounds similar to winter 84/85 which saw cold weather set in during Christmas-new year week, with a jolly cold Jan and a cold Feb.

I'm encouraged by the way this November has turned out - the polar vortex has taken a major hit and is in a very weakened state at a time when it should be in its strongest position.

Yes December could be quite a trying month to start with, but there is plenty of promise it will end very differently.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A very good easy to read forecast with plenty of credence. It does indeed sound like what some would call a good old fashioned winter, with true winter conditions not setting in until Christmas time (as you would normally expect, first half of Dec is notorious for being atlantic mild driven), core of cold in January with the strong chance of a cold February. Sounds similar to winter 84/85 which saw cold weather set in during Christmas-new year week, with a jolly cold Jan and a cold Feb.

I'm encouraged by the way this November has turned out - the polar vortex has taken a major hit and is in a very weakened state at a time when it should be in its strongest position.

Yes December could be quite a trying month to start with, but there is plenty of promise it will end very differently.

Fully agree with that, but I would say the whole of Dec is Atlantic dominated, period from mid Dec to mid Jan, must be on average the most westerly of the year

not many if any non westerly new years day's since '97

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted

T

They then modified the statement in the paragraph underneath, but the note that grabbed readers was the first part.

exactly what they wanted a reader to do

Posted

Fully agree with that, but I would say the whole of Dec is Atlantic dominated, period from mid Dec to mid Jan, must be on average the most westerly of the year

Yes the first half of winter as a whole does tend on average to see a bias towards a westerly airstream dominating, however, statistically the end of November through to the middle of December on average tends to see the atlantic at its most powerful hence it tends to be the stormiest period of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Many thanks Ed and Tony.  A really well put together forecast which makes for a thoroughly enjoyable read.  Fingers crossed it comes to fruition as detailed, sounds like a winter with something for everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Great effort Tony & Ed. Let's hope it goes to plan, well explained thoughts. Looking forward to winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Not many did either.

Last year was a horrible year which hopefully isn't repeated again.

I hope it's repeated again, I love storms!  I'd take that than the dross we have weather wise at the moment ie dull!  I embrace all weather extremes and any kind of weather is dangerous.

• Like 1

Posted

A well done to Tony and Ed for their efforts for putting this winter forecast up. A great thank you from me.

From the looks of things the coldies have a better hope of seeing a cold/very cold spell this winter.

Posted

I hope it's repeated again, I love storms!  I'd take that than the dross we have weather wise at the moment ie dull!  

I want to marry you,    sorry joking, but i too want a stormy winter, does not look good though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

That is about the most average long term forcast I have seen,just what you would expect for a noughties/teen year to be [with the exception of 3 odd winters ]!!!

Am sure there are lots on here hoping for more surprises than that..we shall see !!!!