Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Still baking here in Limousin (33c yesterday 30c today) and the drought situation is getting even more serious. You can't water plants unless it's with waste water and not before 2000! We're progged a few t-storms tomorrow, but the rainfall is nothing like what is needed. On the other hand, it's very pleasant for gardening while we have a few weeks off work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The extreme heat France has been enjoying (?) this summer continues to set new records. The report below was published by Meteo-France today. Extracts:

From Wednesday 5th to Friday, August 7th, France has experienced a remarkable peak heat. The Northeast, Central East and Provence experienced very high maximum temperatures. Météo-France has noted Friday afternoon 40.9 ° C in Vallon-Pont-of-Arc (Ardèche), 39.2 ° C in Lyon and 38.8 ° C in Ambérieu.

In Strasbourg-Eintzheim (airport), the maximum temperature record was broken with 38.7 ° C. In this station, opened in 1924, the previous record of 38.5 ° C was established on August 9, 2003. In Basel-Mulhouse, August 7th recorded the second hottest day ever recorded at 38.8 ° C, tied with July 31, 1983, and just behind the 39.1 ° C recorded August 13, 2003.

Night time temperatures were particularly high. On the eastern half of the country, minimum night were also very high, often between 18 and 24 ° C. On the night of Thursday to Friday, Nice has recorded its highest minimum temperature since records began with 28.1 ° C (previous record: 27.7 ° C 5 August 2003).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

I know one thing all these people moaning they havent had a good summer.

I am so glad that this type of heat stays the other side of the channel.

Sometimes people really should think twice about what they wish for.

Posted

Heading for a 30c day here today and tomorrow looks like it'll be a 35c one. A lake wild swim on both days seems a fine prospect! T-storms incoming from tomorrow night for most parts with a nice double lightning symbol on Météo France for Limousin...not a good morning on Thursday for me to have the EDF man coming to upgrade my electricity meter then!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

A snippet of info published by Meteo-France today caught my eye. Their report was primarily about the end of the extended period of heat France has been experiencing, but mentioned the remarkable number of consecutive days where some towns/cities didn't drop below 20C.

Temperatures have dropped significantly throughout the Hexagon (France) after the passage of storms late last week...... This "freshness", which has (now) reached the extreme southeast of the country, ended the remarkable series of consecutive days characterised by minimum temperatures above 20 ° C. This applies for example to the resorts of Menton (48 consecutive days with higher minimum at 20 ° C), Nice (48 days) and Bastia (44 days). At Bastia, this is a new record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

To think that in this country away from the south east, towards the north west, many places haven't gone more than 7 days above 20c as a maximum.

Posted

To think that in this country away from the south east, towards the north west, many places haven't gone more than 7 days above 20c as a maximum.

Interesting observation seaside! I think I'd prefer the heat of France than the cool, disappointing summer the folks in the north of the UK have endured this year. But then again, maybe after experiencing 48 days where it hasn't dropped below 20C, I might not be so keen! 

Posted

Report from Meteo-France published today regarding the easing of the drought in France:

Assessment of the dryness of the surface soil at August 20, 2015

The first 20 days of August saw the return of the rain on the country. The rainfall totals have reached or exceeded 50 mm Charentes up to Aquitaine Franche-Comte and Alsace and the north of the Alps, on the shores of the English Channel and along the Belgian border. They sometimes exceeded 80 mm in the Limousin, the Charente and Haute Savoie.

This rainy changing significantly moistens the surface soils. The drought, however, remains marked on the northeastern quarter of the territory: soil moisture remains low there, including Champagne-Ardenne, Picardie and Lorraine.

Following the rainfall that hit the country since the beginning of August, the soils become wet. Twenty days into August, only the Oise, the Champagne-Ardenne and Lorraine retain very dry soils.

Soil Moisture (drought) Days 1-10 post-20040-0-72394700-1440444322_thumb.p Days 11-20 post-20040-0-06244500-1440444330_thumb.p

Red = extremely dry. Green = extremely wet.

Posted

Some impressive rainfall recorded in this latest report by Meteo-France with more August records broken:

Stormy rainfall that affected the Hérault Sunday, August 23 resulted in some localities exceptional accumulations, especially for the summer months. Some values ​​are worthy of the biggest episodes observed in autumn in Languedoc.

On the Montpellier agglomeration, it fell on August 23 between 135 and 160 mm. To the east of Lodeve, was measured up to 210 mm in Soumont (absolute record in 24 since 1991), and 203 mm in Vacquerie-et-St-Martin-de-Castries.
At the airport in Montpellier, there was 169 mm -which is unprecedented for a month of August- including 108 mm in just one hour. Such intensity that had been observed during the episode record of 29 September 2014, the wettest day ever recorded since 1946.
This combination of 169 mm, mainly fell in four or five hours, because of the August 23, 2015 the 4th wettest day of all months since records began. The three most rainy days (observed in 1968, 2003 and 2014) have all produced during a September.

Posted

we have been feeling the rain here in the Charente, everything is really green and quite lush, where as at this time of year everything should be yellow and parched.  The rain has been good for the grapes after the June/July heat waves but we don't want anymore.  It looks like we are returning to 30+ temps this weekend for a while but that will kick off the thunderstorms again which is not too good.  Its going to be a fine balancing act now for September, fingers crossed for a good grape harvest which at the moment is scheduled to start 2 weeks earlier than normal.

Cheers

FC

Posted

Yes, that rain Sunday into Monday was great for the ground and plants.

Back at our lake again this evening to camp and relax - I'm going to work from here today! Warm (27c), humid and cloudy but no storms in sight until Sunday. We had a searingly hot wind today with the heat, more reminiscent of the southern Med. than Limousin.

Posted

Another scorcher of a day today, actually in doors hiding from the 35 degree heat at the moment.  We were on the coast earlier (just south of Royan) and it was 30 degrees plus there too, now we are back home inland from the coast it is 35 degrees.  If the Meteo is to be believed there will be a stormy breakdown on Monday to more acceptable temps, but not before an even hotter day tomorrow!!

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

Just seen that Biarritz broke its temperature record for today (29th August) at 37.7 degrees, and tomorrow is forecast to be warmer than today.  Records have been tumbling in a large number of places in France today.

FC

Posted

In Limousin, we had 36c yesterday. I'm in Poitiers right now, in full pre job-meeting clothes and I'm baking, it's 30c. Other half reports rain showers in Haute Vienne this morning, but no storms yet and the sun is now out. Tonight/this evening I think they'll come.

Posted

Yep another 30 degree day today and the storms arrived quite lae in the day, the first one has just passed over us here in Jarnac....  hopefully it will be cooler once the storms have passed by.  I am on my way back to work in the UK tomorrow so it will be nice if its a bit cooler to travel...

Good luck with the job hunting SpikeCollie...

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers

In Limousin, we had 36c yesterday. I'm in Poitiers right now, in full pre job-meeting clothes and I'm baking, it's 30c. Other half reports rain showers in Haute Vienne this morning, but no storms yet and the sun is now out. Tonight/this evening I think they'll come.

Hi spike collie nearest town to us is fontenay le Comte , we had 30 c yesterday , today it cooled to a more reasonable 23 c.

Cannot believe the heat at night , has barely been below 18 20 c for over a week now.

Had a small shower and a rumble of thunder last night but not much.

Posted

Meteo-France have just issued their 3 month forecast (Sep - Nov) and are going for a warmer than average Autumn for France. Here's a brief extract. The full report discusses El Nino and includes forecast SST and precipitation anomalies for the period.

Europe is one of the least directly affected by the consequences of El Niño regions. However, in a global context favorable to warm anomalies, a warmer than normal scenario also seems to be quite likely in our continent, except the British Isles.

post-20040-0-51240000-1441222397_thumb.g
Above Figure: Probability of 2m temperature anomalies planned for the next quarter (September-October-November), the average of all models EUROSIP (Météo-France, European Centre for Medium-Term Weather Forecasting, Met Office, National Centers for Environmental Prediction). 

post-20040-0-20917400-1441222405_thumb.p
Above Figure: Summary for temperatures probabilistic forecasts from the models of all EUROSIP. For each geographical area bounded by the dotted lines: blue: the proportion of simulations corresponding to temperatures lower than normal; grey: the simulations corresponding to near normal temperatures; red: that of simulations suggesting higher than normal temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted

Well the weather finally broke in spectacular style here in the Charente on Monday evening 31st August, some huge thunder storms were reported with 2 people unfortunately loosing their lives and about another dozen injured.

We only saw one big storm which threatened to take out the electricity but in the end didn't, temps are now reaching much more reasonable highs of 20 - 22 degrees which should make it easier to sleep at night as things cool down.

The Vendage is due to start next week, still 2 weeks ahead of the usual start date though there is the potential for some warmth later next week which may delay the start a little bit.

Meanwhile I am back at work in a dull and overcast the UK already looking forward to getting home at the weekend.

Cheers

FC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well the weather finally broke in spectacular style here in the Charente on Monday evening 31st August, some huge thunder storms were reported with 2 people unfortunately loosing their lives and about another dozen injured.

We only saw one big storm which threatened to take out the electricity but in the end didn't, temps are now reaching much more reasonable highs of 20 - 22 degrees which should make it easier to sleep at night as things cool down.

The Vendage is due to start next week, still 2 weeks ahead of the usual start date though there is the potential for some warmth later next week which may delay the start a little bit.

Meanwhile I am back at work in a dull and overcast the UK already looking forward to getting home at the weekend.

Cheers

FC

I haven't written about this on here yet because I'm still coming to terms with it and telling friends and family here in the UK, but our beloved dog of nearly 15 years died quickly and peacefully, with both of us by him, in the early hours of Monday the 31st of August while in France with us. We buried him on our land that evening and built a cairn over him, and his interment was accompanied by 360 degree almost silent lightning. We stood out in the subsequent deliciously warm rain and thunderstorm for nearly and hour just contemplating the moment before retiring to our tent to listen to the thunder and the torrential rain- the same storms as you had and during which sadly people did die and a lorry driver was, notably, struck by lightning on the Limousin border. A fitting end for my little lifelong storm watching companion who watched several storms over there with me during August, and most notably sat with me during the start of the supercell here in the Aire Valley in July.

I am back in France to start a new job next weekend, taking my car over via the St. Malo ferry to minimise the driving time to Limousin which I am doing alone. My other half will join me when I have built up even more work which is in the pipeline, but hopefully we'll be sorted before Christmas. In the meantime, as a very reluctant sea traveller, I am hoping for calm weather on Friday night and also for a nice extended late summer like last year...

• Like 1

Posted

I haven't written about this on here yet because I'm still coming to terms with it and telling friends and family here in the UK, but our beloved dog of nearly 15 years died quickly and peacefully, with both of us by him, in the early hours of Monday the 31st of August while in France with us. We buried him on our land that evening and built a cairn over him, and his interment was accompanied by 360 degree almost silent lightning. We stood out in the subsequent deliciously warm rain and thunderstorm for nearly and hour just contemplating the moment before retiring to our tent to listen to the thunder and the torrential rain- the same storms as you had and during which sadly people did die and a lorry driver was, notably, struck by lightning on the Limousin border. A fitting end for my little lifelong storm watching companion who watched several storms over there with me during August, and most notably sat with me during the start of the supercell here in the Aire Valley in July.

I am back in France to start a new job next weekend, taking my car over via the St. Malo ferry to minimise the driving time to Limousin which I am doing alone. My other half will join me when I have built up even more work which is in the pipeline, but hopefully we'll be sorted before Christmas. In the meantime, as a very reluctant sea traveller, I am hoping for calm weather on Friday night and also for a nice extended late summer like last year...

I'm so very sad to hear of your news Spikecollie. I adore dogs and over the years have also lost loyal and loving companions. My two latest dogs, both only seven years of age, both have heart failure and are on daily water and heart tablets, so it's a case of treasure every day with them. Hopefully you can take some comfort from the fact that your dog clearly had a wonderful life with you. 

Posted

On a less sad note and with hopeful anticipation of the winter to come, Meteo-France today have reported the first snow of the season at resort level in the French Alps.

It is not only Sölden where the flakes fell. A fine white film covers the heights massive Savoyards.

We still do not talk about official opening - it is scheduled for early November 21 in Val Thorens - but the Tourist Office of Val Tho did not miss the opportunity to stress that "the first snow covered the highest resort in Europe! ". That night, flakes not also upholstered tops in Val Tho but also to La Plagne and Les Arcs.

post-20040-0-15175500-1442002909_thumb.j

Posted

Meteo-France reporting some exceptionally heavy rain impacting the SE corner of France in the 48 hours from Saturday 12th September:

During the weekend of 12 and 13 September 2015, the southeast of the country was affected by two episodes of successive heavy rain: the first in the mid-day Saturday and Sunday morning, the second shortest in the Sunday evening and the night from Sunday to Monday. Locally rain remarkable, both in intensity and hourly totals, sometimes exceptional as in Lodeve sector in Herault, were observed.

In the first episode, the maximum cumulative record in 24 hours was 386 mm in La Vacquerie in Herault, which is about three months of rain. At Lodeve, there were 336.5 mm, or 105 days of rain in 24 hours including 255 mm in three hours, and 220 mm in two hours between 16h and 18h, which is exceptional.

Some other values ​​recorded in the same period of September 12 to September 13:
256 mm in Valleraugue or the equivalent of 50 days of rain
Soudorgues 229.5 mm or 45 days of rain
276 mm in Villefort or 46 days of rain
288 mm in Tauriac-de-Camares or 73 rainy days
195 mm in Lablachère or 44 rainy days

During the weekend, the electrical activity was also particularly intense. The network noted Météorage 95,970 lightning (lightning strikes the ground and combined inter-cloud lightning) on ​​the day and Sunday evening. In total, the Saturday 12 has nearly 15,500 lightning strikes the ground and the Sunday near 17,300.

post-20040-0-03027700-1442265202_thumb.p

Posted

More snow fell in the French Alps yesterday. This report is about snow clearing on the high Alpine pass above Val D'Isere.

It snowed on the Iseran pass
After the Savoyard dusted peaks last week (in the night of Thursday 10 to Friday, September 11), the snow made a new appearance this Monday morning. A few centimeters of snow covered the Iseran pass (2764 meters) at night. Enough for the road services department to intervene to clear snow from the roadway. The highest road pass of the Alps is always open.

post-20040-0-00009300-1442341973_thumb.j

This evening though, it's sad to have to report that even at this time of the year the early snow brings avalanches and regrettably deaths. Extracts from Le Dauphine report:

Pelvoux - deaths from the avalanche rises to seven
The avalanche that killed seven climbers today noon on the Ecrins dome measured 250 meters long with a break of about 1 meter high. "Large amounts of snow have been transported" said Captain Nicolas Colombani, Commander PGHM of Briançon.
A helicopter of the police evacuated the bodies of the victims. The nationalities of the victims: four Germans, three Czechs.  "The conditions at the site of the avalanche is winter after heavy snowfall of the weekend at this altitude (3900 meters)" comment rescuers.

post-20040-0-98932300-1442342837_thumb.j

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all,

Its not just Northampton that has seen a tornado over the last couple of days;

12002068_1056619414350196_21594129887493

There have been around 7 tornados in the Charente/Charent Maritime over the last couple of days.  Things are a bit quiter now...  the closest one to us was 17Km away, a country mile in Tornado terms but getting a little too close for comfort in human terms.

Have a good weekend one and all, and stay safe

FC

• Like 3

Posted

Well what a day today too! I've driven from Cherbourg (was supposed to be St. Malo but the Condor ferry had a technical issue and I got transferred to Brittany after being up all night at Poole Port!) to Limousin - the crossing was OK, given that my vestibular system seems to object to any side to side combined with up and down movement of a boat - mllaaa. Glorious sunshine on the ferry crossing, warm for 0900 too, but you could see the gathering CuNbs on land. And did they gather, they travelled in packs. The autoroutes became washouts, hail, thunder lightning the lot. I left at Vierzon and took a D road to Chateauroux to get a break from it, only to encounter over banking streams causing flooding. Here in Limousin it's 16c, breezy and mild. I've a day in Poitiers tomorrow and I'd like a nice calm one!

Edited by Spikecollie