Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2014-15 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Alright the BBC really are trying to tease me now! Putting these two symbols so close together really suggests that Friday night could get interesting!

:o Oh wow... *fingers crossed* ... sadly for me, it's just rain. :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

:o Oh wow... *fingers crossed* ... sadly for me, it's just rain. :/

Very interesting as I've only seen thundersnow once before. I doubt it will come to fruition... but you never know! :)

Posted

Very interesting as I've only seen thundersnow once before. I doubt it will come to fruition... but you never know! :)

Was that in February last year, Scott? I saw thundersnow for the first time (to the best of my knowledge) then, came down thick and very fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Was that in February last year, Scott? I saw thundersnow for the first time (to the best of my knowledge) then, came down thick and very fast.

Mon 4th, i remember Stockport having thundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

25 January 2013. I posted it in the thundersnow thread:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81155-thundersnow-events-in-the-uk/

Posted

Mon 4th, i remember Stockport having thundersnow

25 January 2013. I posted it in the thundersnow thread:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81155-thundersnow-events-in-the-uk/

I must have missed that January event, which isn't surprising as it was a very odd month here. Everywhere else in the area, other than Stockport, seemed to get decent falls of snow. We managed about an inch at best for the whole month. I remember reading reports of snowfall North, South, East and West of here frequently without me seeing a flake.

Posted
An awful start to winter. Into the second week of December - and more than 2 months into the frost season - we've had less than 10 hours of frost and not a flake of wintry precipitation  :nonono:

Five transitory frosts of which the lowest has been -1.1C and the other four: -0.1C, -0.7C, -0.1C and -0.3C. It's pitiful. Every month from November to March last winter managed a lower temperature and there was more wintry weather in November and the first week of December 2013 than there's been in the 12 months since. Not only is it more than a year since the last snow lying day but it's now more than a year since there was last a day with at least 9 hours below freezing. To say this is unprecedented for my location is an understatement.

Absolutely despise "cold zonality". It delivers nothing of interest here. The only type of precipiation that gets through is rain and night after night there is clear skies but the temperature is not falling due to the wind. It's as boring as anticyclonic gloom only more unpleasant due to the nasty cold wind. Worst of all it usually gives way to mild zonality as in 1992/93, 1999/2000 and 2011/12  :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Quite a contrast down here, already had 6 frosts, 4 in just over a week. Looks like you could see snow in coming days, chin up Richard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

A very poor outlook for low lying snow this side of New Year, if the models are right.

Jan 2013 was the last time we had any lying snow here and it looks likely we will get to 24 months before we see any more! I'm going to have to book another trip to Finland....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Friday's snow warning has now moved further south to cover NE England, NW England, Yorkshire & Humber

Issued at: 1129 on Wed 10 Dec 2014

Valid from: 0010 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1000 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

A weather system will cross to the south of this region early on Friday. This will bring rain to many areas but snow is likely over some of the higher ground, such as the Pennines and Southern Uplands, and rain may turn to snow at lower levels before it clears eastwards. The snow may be heavy in places, possibly giving 2-5 cm at low levels and maybe 10 cm or more above around 200 m. Following clearance, there is also the risk of widespread ice on untreated surfaces in time for the morning rush hour. The public should be aware of the potential of disruption to travel and also of hazardous driving conditions. This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday to move the risk of snow away from the central belt of Scotland and into northern England.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure, currently forming in the mid-Atlantic, is likely to run quickly northeast somewhere across central Britain early on Friday. On its northern flank, cold air may be drawn into the system, with a band of rain across southern Scotland and northern England possibly turning to snow, even to low levels, clearing skies then quickly leading to icy conditions late in the night. This is a complex development and details may yet change. Therefore this alert is likely to be updated again on Thursday, as confidence grows in the track and timing of this system.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1418342400&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

It's encouraging to see that the met office are hinting towards colder weather in the new year. Their outlook doesn't mention the word mild anywhere. 

Edited by meathead

Posted

Winter 2014/2015 has started on a very similar note to winter 2011/2012, near average temperature wise, unsettled with some frost, wintry showers, snow on higher ground in the north, gales at times.. very seasonal all round.

The outlook is more of the same for the foreseeable future. I always think the Christmas period is a pivotal time - where marked changes can suddenly occur as the northern hemisphere beds itself down into its mid winter state.

There are some suggesting Christmas will be a transitional period from the rather current average unsettled conditions we have now to something much colder with airstreams from between NW and SE.. we wait and see, but it is very noteworthy what the Met Office longer range update is saying today - I wonder is the signal for heights to ridge NW in mid atlantic will be the trigger with a scandi trough formation and Siberian heights building into the Polar Vortex.. aided by rapid warming in the stratosphere as we enter New Year -certainly a plausible outlook, there is nothing to suggest the jet will track more W-E or SW-NE anytime soon or the azores high will ridge east into Europe.

If there is to be a major change of such sorts, I would expect the models to start picking up on such signals in about 10 days i.e. next weekend.. and would then have to run with them as we enter the Christmas week.

Posted

More snow showers here today on and off. Nothing really heavy but a fresh dusting over night. Temp average here for month to date is a chilly 3.8 day and -0.6 night. Add the recent wind chill of -1 to -10 Certainly not mild! Plus an ice day forecast here for Saturday !

http://m.webcams.travel/webcam/1322989605-Weather-Spartylea,-Northumberland-Allenheads

Edited by tynevalleysnow

Posted

thanks for that photo t, the sort of scene that most folk on the forum hope to see quite a lot of this winter. How many will not be known until the end of winter, whenever that is, be it 1 March or 1 June according to some on the forum!

Posted

this may wet the snow appetite for some=comment from Cairngorm authorities

Ski area and all facilities closed today Hill road blocked, ploughs and snowblower working to clear road.

some photos on the mountain

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/

from Lecht

1. Snow accumulation on all runs looking good for the weekend will keep you posted roads closed tonight

and the cameras that area

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cold weather alert issued by the met office

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 0801 on Thu 11 Dec 2014

There is an 80% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and some snow between 0000 on Friday and 0600 on Sunday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

The recent cold and unsettled weather is expected to continue through to the coming weekend. A band of rain, and hill snow in the north, is expected during Thursday night. There is also a risk of some snow down to lower levels at times in eastern and northeastern parts. Rain and snow will clear early on Friday leaving bright but cold conditions. Brisk winds will exacerbate the cold feel at times. A few wintry showers will follow but any snow accumulations will be mainly restricted to hills. A widespread frost is expected on Friday night. Saturday will see another bright day and despite lighter winds it will still feel cold, especially in the north where a few further wintry showers can also be expected. Another frost is expected on Saturday night before milder conditions along with wind and rain spread in from the west on Sunday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Latest snow and ice warning

Issued at: 0956 on Thu 11 Dec 2014

Valid from: 1000 on Thu 11 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1100 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

Frequent showers will continue to fall as sleet and snow, especially on higher ground but occasionally down to lower levels too. Further accumulations of 2-5 cm can be expected on ground above 150m, with perhaps 10 cm or more on ground above 300-400m - these larger accumulations will be mainly across the West Highlands, where some drifting is also likely. Some localised accumulations are also possible at lower levels, especially tonight. As the strong winds continue to ease overnight, wintry showers will become more isolated but icy stretches will develop more widely. The public should be aware of continued difficult driving conditions and the possibility of travel disruption.

A cold, showery westerly airstream will stay in place across northern Britain, with a continued threat of travel disruption and difficult driving conditions due to both snow and ice. Whilst winds remain strong, with gales and local severe gales in places at first, they will continue to decrease slowly.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1418342400&regionName=uk

Posted

Cold weather alert issued by the met office

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 0801 on Thu 11 Dec 2014

There is an 80% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and some snow between 0000 on Friday and 0600 on Sunday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

The recent cold and unsettled weather is expected to continue through to the coming weekend. A band of rain, and hill snow in the north, is expected during Thursday night. There is also a risk of some snow down to lower levels at times in eastern and northeastern parts. Rain and snow will clear early on Friday leaving bright but cold conditions. Brisk winds will exacerbate the cold feel at times. A few wintry showers will follow but any snow accumulations will be mainly restricted to hills. A widespread frost is expected on Friday night. Saturday will see another bright day and despite lighter winds it will still feel cold, especially in the north where a few further wintry showers can also be expected. Another frost is expected on Saturday night before milder conditions along with wind and rain spread in from the west on Sunday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Latest snow and ice warning

Issued at: 0956 on Thu 11 Dec 2014

Valid from: 1000 on Thu 11 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1100 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

Frequent showers will continue to fall as sleet and snow, especially on higher ground but occasionally down to lower levels too. Further accumulations of 2-5 cm can be expected on ground above 150m, with perhaps 10 cm or more on ground above 300-400m - these larger accumulations will be mainly across the West Highlands, where some drifting is also likely. Some localised accumulations are also possible at lower levels, especially tonight. As the strong winds continue to ease overnight, wintry showers will become more isolated but icy stretches will develop more widely. The public should be aware of continued difficult driving conditions and the possibility of travel disruption.

A cold, showery westerly airstream will stay in place across northern Britain, with a continued threat of travel disruption and difficult driving conditions due to both snow and ice. Whilst winds remain strong, with gales and local severe gales in places at first, they will continue to decrease slowly.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1418342400®ionName=uk

Severe cold weather?

Yes I can see snow and ice maybe a problem and people should be alerted to these but it's amazing seeing that on what is basically a typical cold wintry episode that happens in a lot of winters and then you go and watch the January 1987 BBC weather forecast

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0IsvJlXVk"/url]

Now that's severe cold but there are zero warnings with this, infact the word blizzard isn't even mentioned.

How things have changed!

Posted

Severe cold weather?

How things have changed!

I agree, why such a warning, certainly if you compare it to the forecast you show

I feel it does bring the warning system into disrepute

Posted

From Weather Network UK

Friday night could be the COLDEST of 2014 so far. Would have to beat -7.7C recorded in February.

post-115-0-00142800-1418311041_thumb.png

Posted

Greetings from central Europe. This winter is, so far, even worse than 13/14 which is really remarkable considering there was no winter last year. I'm not optimistic about the future. 11C at 6AM, spring is here I guess.

Posted

Will we see any SSW before mid January, reading Cohen's update on the Strat thread we may have to be patient ( I hate that word ). Still there's sod all you can do it about it except enjoy the weather you've got.