Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible storm/wind event - 9th December onwards

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Gusts may reach 50mph along the coast, generally in the 40s inland, but not as bad as it will be further north.

Thanks Nick, I suppose 40+ is bad enough

Posted

According to the local weather station, Monkspath Weather Station, the top gust so far today here has been around 14.5 mph. Solihull has got a lot of work to do if it's wants to take the No. 1 spot in the top 10 'Top Gusts' chart (which seems extremely unlikely).  :whistling:

attachicon.gifmonkspath wind speed & weater info.jpg

25 mph with gusts 39 mph here veranda rattling doubt sleep tonight.  Feel for those up in Scotland way and worst areas.  I think XCweather wind forecast is under estimated the winds.  Was only expected 30 mph gusts and 50 mph later in the week.

Just noticed dropped 25 hpa in six hours

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Pretty wild up here now too.some of the outer islands are going to have an exceptional 36 hours.

Posted

Pretty wild up here now too.some of the outer islands are going to have an exceptional 36 hours.

Good luck you exposed peeps!

Are you expecting powerouts in this storm or is it less predictable than that? The waves look pretty big already.

Latest Top Wind Speeds

1. 62mph Great Dun Fell 2
2. 59mph Cairn Gorm Summit
3. 53mph Aberdaron
4, 45mph Cairnwell
5. 44mph Aonach Mor
6. 43mph South Uist
7. 43mph Mumbles Head
8. 43mph Bealach Na Ba
9. 39mph Capel Curig Saws
10. 38mph Prestwick Rnas

Top Gusts

1. 99mph Cairn Gorm Summit
2. 73mph Great Dun Fell 2
3. 73mph Aonach Mor
4. 66mph Aberdaron
5. 66mph Capel Curig Saws
6. 64mph Killowen
7. 63mph Aboyne
8. 63mph Glen Ogle
9. 63mph Cairnwell
10. 62mph South Uist

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Gusting into lower 40's here. Still got a bizarre wind warning for Friday with winds gusting to 40 mph on the local forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I've just driven back from near Burnley, getting very gusty out there and really buffeting the car in places. Parked up to do some shopping in Keighley and it was dry when I went into the supermarket - the car park was near flooded when I came out...very bizarre!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Been constant gales here all day along with heavy rain too, got absolutely soaked walking to school, albeit a five minute walk. The rest of the working week is looking very interesting. Hope all those in the Islands stay safe along with everyone else on the mainland. :) Hope this is a memorable storm for all the right reasons. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Good luck you exposed peeps!

Are you expecting powerouts in this storm or is it less predictable than that? The waves look pretty big already.

Shetland is very exposed and we don't have anything to break the wind in the form of many buildings or trees, so the winds can cause power cuts. The worst thing for us is that our connections to the mainland can be lost for a few days, which can cause disruption and a lack of food in the shops. Edited by shetland islands

Posted

big thanks to whoever provided the link for the Shetland webcams, had it on all day full screen with the music whacked up.

thanks again what a brilliant site!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Me to Texel  :D

Posted

Me to Texel  :D

The Sumburgh cams are good. There for the puffins during the summer. Expect the airport to close tomorrow.

Posted

Yes Shet, Although a little dark atm.. Will be interesting to view tomorrow. In the meantime the music will do nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The long period waves shook and are shaking Iceland currently. The length of the period X height of the wave= what equivalent in tons TNT or Atom bomb megatons anybody?

The reason I ask is, just look at the borehole strain meters in Iceland, eg:-  post-4726-0-24460700-1418152157_thumb.jp Not surprised we lost 10 meters of some cliffs extensively at/on/in the Isle of Wight in the last winter storms.....

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I agree i am watching those web cams will be good viewing tomorrow, first gust over 30mph here at 31mph

Posted

Had a gust touching 43mph a short while ago here.

Latest Max Wind Speeds

1. 56mph Great Dun Fell 2
2. 54mph Cairn Gorm Summit
3. 45mph Cairnwell
4. 44mph Aonach Mor
5. 42mph South Uist
6. 40mph Malin Head
7. 40mph Mumbles Head
8. 40mph Capel Curig Saws
9. 39mph Aberdaron
10. 37mph Lake Vyrnwy Saws

Latest Top Gusts

1. 83mph Cairn Gorm Summit
2. 72mph Cairnwell
3. 70mph Aonach Mor
4. 66mph South Uist
5. 64mph Aberdaron
6. 64mph Great Dun Fell 2
7. 59mph Lake Vyrnwy Saws
8. 58mph Glen Ogle
9. 58mph Tiree
10. 57mph Malin Head

Satellite image taken today you can see the large area of low pressure just to the South East of Greenland,

post-6686-0-52766000-1418154008_thumb.pn

Edited by weathermaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Nothing much down here today as expected, max gust 37mph.

Posted

25 mph with gusts 39 mph here veranda rattling doubt sleep tonight.  Feel for those up in Scotland way and worst areas.  I think XCweather wind forecast is under estimated the winds.  Was only expected 30 mph gusts and 50 mph later in the week.

Just noticed dropped 25 hpa in six hours

Are you sure? Only 15mbar in 18 hours here, steadied this evening.

Edited by TonyH