Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Run In To Christmas

Posted

The best Xmas run so far (P) sees the -10c isotherm entering Scotland late Christmas day -

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/runs/2014121712/gfs-1-198.png?12

A band of sleet & slow pushing SE

S

slow pushing south Steve-obviously getting excited and hitting the wrong button!

mods/admin=any reason why this is posted x2, noticed this happening several times, indeed x3 earlier today?

thanks

John

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The GFS 12z is quite messy beyond Christmas day, but it maintains a cold theme right through to New Year with frontal/trough activity over the country under embedded cold air, and heights remaining strong over Greenland - with low heights trying to undercut these.

Indeed it would be quite a snowy picture for the north depending on where precipitation takes place.

Well you weren't wrong, what a mess that turned out to be.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GEM going for a Xmas day storm.

gemnh-0-186.png?12

• Like 5

Posted

GFS (P) could be very good in deep Fl

Get the Shorts out in West Greenland, nice bit of WAA 

gfsnh-1-240.png?12

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Widespread snow on the 27th and 28th of December if the GFS 12z is correct

gfs-2-240.png?12gfs-2-264.png?12

• Like 4

Posted

post-13593-0-01532100-1418834810_thumb.ppost-13593-0-25929000-1418834835_thumb.p

Comparing the 06z with the 12z GFS(p) it seems the 12Z is a "colder quicker" run  up to the 23rd to my untrained eye. (esp for Southerners)

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GEM maybe wet and windy Xmas day but it is stunning at day 10.

gemnh-0-240.png?12

No way is that a toppler.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted

mods/admin=any reason why this is posted x2, noticed this happening several times, indeed x3 earlier today?

thanks

John

It's a bug with the Iphone/Ipad. You can always tell an Apple user on any forum.

• Like 1

Posted

Come on Scandi!! 

gfsnh-0-264.png?12

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

must addmitt... this smacks of december 1981 !

attachicon.gifRtavn3002.gif

however.... i do think its way to premature to start getting excited just yet, 'the event' should it happen is still in fi, note the ecm and gfs 06z dont agree about the severity of this ridging later next week.

premature excitement often leads to disappointment and moaning in reality.

You must always be prematurely excited then Mushy. .  :wink:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The GFS P 12z is a rolling.

The 10mb stratosphere projection as per yesterday at t+90 (Saturday 20th December 0600hrs) were as shown below.

post-7183-0-75414300-1418834056_thumb.pn

Some 24 hours, thereby the timeframe is t+66 and we have the following, no sizeable difference that I can see.

post-7183-0-09299900-1418834129_thumb.pn

By t+144 which in real time is Tuesday 23rd December 1200hrs, the first hints of Temperature warming to a deeper orange shading are starting to show up. *As I stated yesterday, refer to other posters for more expertise on this aspect BUT suffice to say, things NH speaking are sticking to plan by this date.

post-7183-0-10819300-1418834953_thumb.pn

Finally for a bit of fun, t+240 from yesterday's post is of course now residing at t+216, so for Boxing Day 1200hrs we were expecting the following Stratosphere 10hpa reading.

post-7183-0-62794500-1418834721_thumb.pn

The reality from today's 12z for Boxing Day 1200hrs is as shown below.

post-7183-0-07539000-1418835003_thumb.pn

By the above date, the 10hpa reading is actually slightly on the wane to something cooler but given it had already warmed above this level around Christmas Day itself, I wouldn't read too much into that fact alone. More appropriately the Boxing Day NH 500mb & SLP picture looks like this.

post-7183-0-15261800-1418835314_thumb.pn

As opposed to yesterday's 12z, when the setup was as shown below,

post-7183-0-59998400-1418835386_thumb.pn

I'll let you make up your own mind as to whether the above hints at a progression to a colder pattern post-Christmas but I know what I believe the NWP outputs are trying to tell us even though it sits at D9 onwards. Furthermore, I have deliberately not shown surface specifics for the UK at such a range as it is only by this Saturday at the earliest that we will broadly know what is a consistent signal for our own locale come the big day itself, so patience continues to be the key word I'm afraid.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

History tells us that the models will push this system south so probably into France but this is a great snow event for the North and Midlands.

Rtavn2283.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

At the moment still not much hope for us southerners, maybe abit cold but northerlys never produce for us, we really need a north easterly or a beastly to really freeze south of oxford line.

There was a bit of everything on the 12z for everyone mate. Here's one for you from the Parallel:

post-8895-0-02507800-1418836399_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

At the moment still not much hope for us southerners, maybe abit cold but northerlys never produce for us, we really need a north easterly or a beastly to really freeze south of oxford line.

This chart would likely bring snow to the south. I'm up in the North West until the 27th so the weather's odds on to screw up my plans (as per last year).

gfs-0-276.png?12

• Like 2

Posted

Or a channel low ?? :) I thought I saw a lp off the approches on the GFS but cant find it atm.

Edit maybe not soz

Edited by Biggin