Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Greenland High vs Scandinavian High or Both

Gibby

Posted

I would say Greenland Highs, always a chance of polar lows developing in the flow, and low pressure more generally from the NW, second half of December 2010 was a great Greenland high.

The best case scenario for all is a combo of both.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A greenland high rather then a scandi one for my location.

Ive been let down time and time again by scandi highs due to my location. They can look great on paper but for me the reality is it usually ends up that my location is just that bit just too far west to get the proper cold in,when it comes to scandi highs i really need a true beast from the east. I mean Jan 2013 for example the cold stopped dead over around wales it couldnt make the final journey over the irish sea,so bloody frustrating.

But as Damianslaw says above a combination is best for all.

• Like 3

For Wales, a Greenland High is far better as this has delivered many moderate snowfalls here over the past decade or so. But not so good for cold as they are often "topplers"

Being greedy having both is better.

For outright cold a Scandinavian high is better, but they are often dry this far west [1991 an obvious exception]

A problem for Scandi High is they can give colder weather to Europe never quite make it to the UK and leave the UK at the end of the line of Atlantic depressions never quite making it part the meridian and this pattern can get stuck for weeks.,

• Like 2

Well I is down at Watford, give me a Scandi/Siber High, the type where we can get a max of -5C, then if we can get a low coming up the Channel, giving a slightly south of east air flow to give the Thames streamer a chance of depositing some of that white stuff a little to the north of London, then that would be perfict.

• Like 1

Posted

Greenland high for me.

The problem with the Scandi high is that unless there is a cold pool to the east to advect westwards, they are bobbins.

Look at the December 2002 easterly

The December 1997 easterly was really poor, didn't even get below zero once in Manchester during that period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

It is indeed a very complicated picture, Gibby.  Some of our classic winter months have the Scandinavian High waxing and waning all month.  February 1956 is a classic example.  This month had a Greenland High all month along with a Scandi High but the Scandinavian High kept waxing and waning.  However because the main westerly Jetstream was always on a southerly track from the eastern U.S, across the North Atlantic and into southern Europe with the Greenland High always remaining strong, the cold lasted the whole month as Northerly and Easterly winds repeatedly alternated with each other.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

All of the coldest winters have both at different times and premier league winters have all 3..that is too say at some point a Greenland high...a Scandinavian high and a link up of both...look at 1947 as a classic example where all 3 scenarios happened..1963 and 1979 had Greenland highs and Scandinavian highs at differing times that produced cold and snow.

• Like 2