Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I've got a bit lost in the model thread over the last few days!

Am I right in saying that the basic outlook at the moment is that the cold snap will be ending (for now) towards the end of the coming week, and in the meantime there won't be much snow (if any) for the south-east?

Unfortunately i think the best you got at seeing snow (Light or Heavy) snowfall i think midweek is going to be you're best shot but the models are changing the track in the slider low.

It may come to nowcasting but the models are slowly upgrade as of this post.

ECM is going to roll any min now so take a look there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We have still had no snow on the ground since March 2013. Forcasting snow in my area Tuesday from 9pm till 6pm on wed. 21 hrs of snow doubt it very much. We always seem to miss out in Northamptonshire. Boxing day the snow band went north of here. On Friday there was a forcast for snow on sat and sun didn't happen again. I am glad going to gleenshee ski centre in February.☺

Edited by pegg24
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Had a guy from the Meto on radio and he said the biggest hazard this week will be ice. Any snow will be insignificant away from highest elevation. Northern Ireland and sw Scotland could see 10cm,but most of England and Wales will be lucky to see anymore than 1-5cm through this week.

At this stage, he said snow is not a major concern away from, maybe, northern Ireland.

He also said there is a greater uncertainty surrounding the change to milder weather and when/ if this is going to happen.

He also said that the south and south west/ East have the lowest risk of seeing settling snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Carol Kirkwood on BBC weather touched upon the weather front coming in over Tuesday/Wednesday and stated that band will be of rain with snow on the hills. Still no weather warning out, yet the bbc weather website currently has several hours of heavy snow for that time frame in my area! Something has to change...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

It irks me when the charts and websites say one thing and the forecasters says another.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

All be over come the 28th.... Looking for February outcome.....

Posted

I have highlighted the area I believe has the greatest chance of seeing heavy snowfall.

post-1766-0-99703800-1421665482_thumb.jp

Please no complaints if you are outside this area. I could well be wrong anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

I have highlighted the area I believe has the greatest chance of seeing heavy snowfall.

attachicon.gifsnow risk zone.jpg

Please no complaints if you are outside this area. I could well be wrong anyway.

You ARE wrong ..... Peterborough will average 10cm of snow ...... Paston will get 20cm !!!

Posted

You ARE wrong ..... Peterborough will average 10cm of snow ...... Paston will get 20cm !!!

I do actually think we have a chance of seeing snowfall. However I missed Peterborough because otherwise I would of been accused of being biased. I can't be doing with the hassle!!

• Like 1

Posted

Met office have updated their warnings... and dropped the snow warning for Northern Ireland. So as of now, 30 hours before the event starts, Met Office thinks no-where in the UK will get snow. If at least 3 of Manchester, Leeds, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield and Leicester don't get a period of snow with accumulation then I'll eat my hat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Met office have updated their warnings... and dropped the snow warning for Northern Ireland. So as of now, 30 hours before the event starts, Met Office thinks no-where in the UK will get snow. If at least 3 of Manchester, Leeds, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield and Leicester don't get a period of snow with accumulation then I'll eat my hat.

I'm pretty sure they're currently in the process of updating the warnings. If not, it's a very brave call!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

They mention snow within the ice warning

Issued at: 1056 on Mon 19 Jan 2015

Valid from: 2100 on Mon 19 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1000 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

A band of rain, sleet and snow will arrive into western parts of Northern Ireland during Monday evening, then spread east across all parts overnight. Rain and sleet is likely to fall onto frozen surfaces in places, leaving some icy roads, especially as clearer conditions return later in the night. In central and western parts, there is also a risk of localised snow accumulations of 1-2 cm at low-level, and 5 cm or so on higher ground. The public should be aware of the risk of difficult driving conditions and travel disruption.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

After a spell of cold weather across the area an Atlantic frontal system will move in. As the rain band encounters cold air, it will fall onto frozen surfaces and locally turn to sleet and snow for a time across Northern Ireland before clearing later in the night. There is now more certainty that eastern parts, including the Belfast area, will see mostly rain or sleet rather than snow, and that icy roads will be the main hazard overnight.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421625600&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Looks like they think only South West Scotland will be in the firing line for this 'event'.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

According to the BBC, it's likely to be mainly rain on Weds morning for Southern England except the highest hills, i.e. Chilterns.

Of course this can all change as the event is still 36-48 hrs away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

It could be that the precipitation isn't likely to be heavy enough to cause any problems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hm, I disagree with that assessment from the BBC. I think falling snow is possible all the way down to London. I can't believe there aren't bog standard 2-5cm warnings for the north Midlands and parts of northern England at the very least!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Hm, I disagree with that assessment from the BBC. I think falling snow is possible all the way down to London. I can't believe there aren't bog standard 2-5cm warnings for the north Midlands and parts of northern England at the very least!

With so much uncertainty in the forecast and with the balance biased towards little or no snow rather than a lot I don't expect to see any warnings with regard to this event unti tomorrow morning and even then I more likely expect to see warnings of ice from rain falling on to frozen surfaces for a time rather than extensive snowfall.

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 1

Posted

The weather channel are showing snow from tomorrow evening until Wednesday afternoon for Nottingham with 3-7 cm in depth...met office are going for sleet. Interesting!

Posted

The weather channel are showing snow from tomorrow evening until Wednesday afternoon for Nottingham with 3-7 cm in depth...met office are going for sleet. Interesting!

Heavy snow for my area of Nottingham(shire) from 10pm Tues - 6am Weds

Posted

Heavy snow for my area of Nottingham(shire) from 10pm Tues - 6am Weds

Hopefully the weather channel will be right as I missed the snow on boxing day due to being in Northumberland!

Posted

Hopefully the weather channel will be right as I missed the snow on boxing day due to being in Northumberland!

Oops should have said MetO forecasting heavy snow for my area. 

Weather channel says snow from 7pm tomorrow until 5pm Wednesday :/

Edited by LadyEv06

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

In comparison to previous years of decent snow (e.g. 2010, 2013, 2009, 2008) the forecasted possible snow will probably suck!

The snow in previous years was always forecasted at least a day beforehand - and a warning would probably been issued already. The forecast in my area is sleet then light rain in the afternoon... which sucks.

However, the models are constantly changing. The forecast from last Thursday was for very heavy snow (>15cm) in England TODAY. That never happened.

Anyway... I cannot get hyped up about this because I predict utter disappointment. Something tells me this will be another snowless year (of at least 4cm snow lasting at least 3 days on the ground). The storms last year were great (as I'm a fan of storms) even in my area which hardly ever gets them. This year the storms have been rubbish, and without any lasting snow - this is probably the worst winter... in a long time.

In addition, I hear it will become MILDER by the weekend! This is almost certain at this point. I also hear February will be dry... and mild - the worst combination.

Edited by Cumulonimbus123