Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2015

Posted

I like a mixed spring with a bit of everything, a last winter hoorah at some point in March preferably earlier end under a potent northerly, can't beat a northerly in early March..

Milder conditions by the end of the month with the first spring warmth. April I like to be very mixed perhaps another northerly with some snow and a decent dry sunny spell with showers.

May my favourite month, even just thinking about the month now  gives me a warm feeling, I always want to deliver a lengthy warm sunny gin clear sky..

I think many will be starting to think about Spring over the next few days especially given how there will be little to talk about generally.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Winter is lingering around like a bad stench now. I cant wait till it makes way for Spring and the associates sights and smells that it brings. One being the smell of the first freshly cut grass of the season.

• Like 4

Posted

we had 8 months of mild/warm weather last year, its only been chilly/cold and dark for about 3 months, that warm spell we had in october was only just over 3 months ago, who knows we may have to wait at least 10 months till we see snow again, i saw my first snow in 25 months on monday and it only lasted for about 12 hours, imagine if we didn't have a warm sunny day for 25 months, i say warm because its dosen't matter whether its 23c and sunny or 32c and sunny, where as 3c isn't really good enough in winter as it has to be 0c for snow to last on the ground and i haven't seen a single ice day this winter, people only want it to be 30c in summer for statistical reasons, it doesn't actually need to be that hot for people to enjoy summer 23-28c is more than good enough

Edited by Snowy Easterlies
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I just want a belting, I don't care what season it happens in now, I also want constantly well below average temperatures all the year around.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Winter is lingering around like a bad stench now. I cant wait till it makes way for Spring and the associates sights and smells that it brings. One being the smell of the first freshly cut grass of the season.

winter is extremely short in the UK in fact for me it hasn't started..kinda looking forward to spring though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Summer is also just as short in the UK and certainly there wasn't 8 months of it! A 15c muggy day in November is nothing to do with having a long summer season in the same way as a light frost in May is not making it a long winter.

If you define true winter as only days below 0c (7c below average for England in January) then you must define true summer as days >28c (7c above average in July) - a very small number indeed!

• Like 4

Posted

winter is extremely short in the UK in fact for me it hasn't started..kinda looking forward to spring though

Exactly right, so why when we hit February, our joint coldest month, do people seem hellbent on the arrival of Spring?! It doesn't add up, people look for cold in November (warmer month than March) yet seem disinterested in February, (when it's far more likely to materialize) based upon some weird and false assumption that the sun is some kind of blowtorch at this time of year. You wouldn't think we recently had ice days, deep snow and sub -10C minima in March.

I can only think it's some kind of reverse psychology, in an attempt to jump start winter again. If so, keep it up guys, I like your style! :)

By the way, that's 9 consecutive days in my area where snow has survived the brutal Feb sunshine. Funny that...

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Exactly right, so why when we hit February, our joint coldest month, do people seem hellbent on the arrival of Spring?! It doesn't add up, people look for cold in November (warmer month than March) yet seem disinterested in February, (when it's far more likely to materialize) based upon some weird and false assumption that the sun is some kind of blowtorch at this time of year. You wouldn't think we recently had ice days, deep snow and sub -10C minima in March.

I can only think it's some kind of reverse psychology, in an attempt to jump start winter again. If so, keep it up guys, I like your style! :)

Feb is our coldest month agree, but it's surely only because it's the least Atlantic dominated? if we had say the last 2 weeks setups in Dec and Jan it would be colder, but sadly the best time is mild due to persistent westerlies/rain

Posted

Feb is our coldest month agree, but it's surely only because it's the least Atlantic dominated? if we had say the last 2 weeks setups in Dec and Jan it would be colder, but sadly the best time is mild due to persistent westerlies/rain

That might be a factor, but I'd imagine a minor one. The UK winter is typically Atlantic dominated anyway, including February, and it's consistently been colder than December by at least 0.5C thought the CET history. Seas are colder, as are continental and arctic air masses, and they override the increase of day length and sun strength compared to December.

Hell, the first third of March is colder/on a par with the first third of December, and the sun is positively molten by March, right?

An odd quirk, March 2001 recorded a lower min than anything December 2010 did, as crazy as that sounds!

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Spring can be a win-win situation with the weather.

Take 2007 and 2008. Both completely different but both equally enjoyable. Sitting having dinner in the garden on Easter day 2007 with my family in the warm sunshine was simply terrific. Having a snowball fight with my niece a year later was also just as special.

Looking forward to it. It's a season where we can really shine with the climate we have. We have many boring winters and dank summers in our country, but there are many memorable Spring events I can recall...and a huge variety of them too from boiling hot to frigid cold. Feels like a very quick moving season too going from one type of weather to the next.

Then later nature wakes up and we have the amazing blossom displays and that amazing fresh green colour that seems to appear overnight. And by that stage, the first plume may be sneaking up on the models.

Hope this year's Spring is a classic British one. Fast moving and providing a bit of everything!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm also ready for summer now!

A 2003 or 2006 or mixture of both!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

February 8th has recorded the joint lowest ever minimum of -27.2 deg which makes your statement incorrect!!

Posted

Exactly right, so why when we hit February, our joint coldest month, do people seem hellbent on the arrival of Spring?! It doesn't add up, people look for cold in November (warmer month than March) yet seem disinterested in February, (when it's far more likely to materialize) based upon some weird and false assumption that the sun is some kind of blowtorch at this time of year.

This should be laminated in A4.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Shocking that people should discuss general weather (see Winter) in a general weather thread this time of year and SPRING in a SPRING themed thread as SPRING approaches.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That might be a factor, but I'd imagine a minor one. The UK winter is typically Atlantic dominated anyway, including February, and it's consistently been colder than December by at least 0.5C thought the CET history. Seas are colder, as are continental and arctic air masses, and they override the increase of day length and sun strength compared to December.

Hell, the first third of March is colder/on a par with the first third of December, and the sun is positively molten by March, right?

An odd quirk, March 2001 recorded a lower min than anything December 2010 did, as crazy as that sounds!

I guess it's the same reason that people start 'seeing' signs of autumn in August even though August is only slightly cooler than July and actually the warmest month of the year in some locations (especially coastal).

Plus, go to places like New England where the sun is far stronger than here, but it's bitterly cold and the snow doesn't melt at all (it might sublimate but that's it).

I can understand why people do it though. Daytime temps in February are higher on average than in December or January, with increasing daylight and the first possible spring warmth, with temperatures in the high teens very possible. Both February and August are the last month of their respective seasons, so in the case of February, it might be the ushering of new life, and in August, it might be the first sign of decay.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

The UK winter is typically Atlantic dominated anyway, including February, and it's consistently been colder than December by at least 0.5C thought the CET history.

That is actually incorrect. I think you will find in the mid to late Victorian era that there is a 30 years average where December was colder than February.

From 1846 to 1885, there were not that many cold Februarys but were a whole series of mild to very mild Februarys. February 1867, 1868, 1869, 1871, 1872 were all at or above 6C for the CET. December was somewhat the opposite with 4 sub 1C Decembers in the 1870s

The result was that December actually became colder than February for a short period.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It should come as no surprise that people are 'hellbent on the arrival of spring' as we go into February. As cheese stated - you can feel the change in light and that's just as powerful (or sometimes more powerful) than it being a few degrees colder or warmer.

In mid August you notice it isn't light at 9pm anymore and your tomato plants (and others) are beginning to look tired and leggy - you're noticing the approaching change - the 'vice is beginning to tighten' as I feel it is!.

In Feb you notice that finally the grip of endless gloom and darkness is at last loosening and you can start to look forward to the freedom of the outdoors and longer days again. I know winter is popular on here but for many its tough season that really begins to outstay its welcome by this time of year so of course people begin to think about spring. 

You should maybe check when the autumn thread starts on here too - in July I think!

• Like 7

Posted

It should come as no surprise that people are 'hellbent on the arrival of spring' as we go into February. As cheese stated - you can feel the change in light and that's just as powerful (or sometimes more powerful) than it being a few degrees colder or warmer.

In mid August you notice it isn't light at 9pm anymore and your tomato plants (and others) are beginning to look tired and leggy - you're noticing the approaching change - the 'vice is beginning to tighten' as I feel it is!.

In Feb you notice that finally the grip of endless gloom and darkness is at last loosening and you can start to look forward to the freedom of the outdoors and longer days again. I know winter is popular on here but for many its tough season that really begins to outstay its welcome by this time of year so of course people begin to think about spring. 

You should maybe check when the autumn thread starts on here too - in July I think!

I agree, people naturally attune to the change in nature's cyclical rhythms, rather than temperature per se. Its the general feel of things that people respond to and notice, and the key factor is length of daylight more than anything else. At this time of year we begin to see a rapid change in the amount of daylight after 3 months of gloom and darkness. The birds are tweeting again and buds are beginning to swell, and early spring flowers such as daffodils and crocus are putting up sprouting growth. It is these factors that people respond too rather than the fact temps now can be the coldest of the year as a whole.

People are looking ahead to the future and that now is Spring. I tend to start thinking about spring around early Feb, summer in early May, autumn early Aug and winter early November.

• Like 1

Posted

Lets do a small spring index for frosts/snow etc like the winter one.

I`ll do 3 years.

1997:7 march/april.... May:13

2014:9

2013:99 

Winter 2012-13:100.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

That is actually incorrect. I think you will find in the mid to late Victorian era that there is a 30 years average where December was colder than February.

From 1846 to 1885, there were not that many cold Februarys but were a whole series of mild to very mild Februarys. February 1867, 1868, 1869, 1871, 1872 were all at or above 6C for the CET. December was somewhat the opposite with 4 sub 1C Decembers in the 1870s

The result was that December actually became colder than February for a short period.

Fair enough, WH. You're not one to argue with in these instances! My point was that throughout the CET history as a whole, February has on average been colder than December, but there will be the odd quirk in the series in which it wasn't (see the highlighted in the bold), as you've pointed out.

Anyway, I'm not "Anti-Spring" by any means, I enjoy the season and especially the wide diurnal ranges you can experience. I don't at all begrudge anyone wanting an early spring, we all have our preferences, but I personally don't see the rush when there's months of guaranteed warmer weather ahead anyway from mid spring until around mid autumn. I would rather we make the most of the limited cold window we have in this country, and that takes us to at least mid March, and even mid April depending on what you're after.

As I've said before, my perfect spring is a cold, snowy March, a mixed bag in April and a settled, sunny and pleasantly warm May.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Looking like a decent day here, clear sunny skies, looks almost spring like till you factor in the still low temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Very poor temps over in the NW i see. Over here its positively balmy. Bridlington on the North Sea Coast is at 9c and Lincs FM even commented on how springlike it was looking out the window so it cant be just me thats noticed. Its a relief to get rid of that awful nagging chill and replace it with much softer feeling air but still coolish.

• Like 2