Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Thanks for the NY camera link, Zephyr. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Off topic, sorry folks and not South West related but something to admire for snow lovers in new york, if that was only here! http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo3

Wow full on white out now @_@ dangerous I'd be scared of that!

Its heavy snow but I have seen it worse at home albeit not in last two years :rofl:

I can see through camera it can't be that bad..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Ian F has just tweeted this:

W COUNTRY Colder conditions, with pronounced windchill, will have established by later Weds. Mostly dry PM. By Thurs, snow showers...(cont'd

W COUNTRY CONT'D... are likely across some districts, with some accumulations likely over Exmoor, Quantocks, Mendips in particular...(cont'd

W COUNTRY CONT'D... Fri sees slightly less cold air, courtesy of occlusion remnants, so mixed showers of mostly rain/sleet at low levels...

Mullender should see something

Posted

Ian F has just tweeted this:

W COUNTRY Colder conditions, with pronounced windchill, will have established by later Weds. Mostly dry PM. By Thurs, snow showers...(cont'd

W COUNTRY CONT'D... are likely across some districts, with some accumulations likely over Exmoor, Quantocks, Mendips in particular...(cont'd

W COUNTRY CONT'D... Fri sees slightly less cold air, courtesy of occlusion remnants, so mixed showers of mostly rain/sleet at low levels...

Mullender should see something

I found johns comments quite interesting in mod thread, that would be perfect winter weather... snow followed by high pressure with surface cold which would then keep it on ground with cold frosty days and nights.. :D

Posted

I'm sure us Isle of Wighters will see plenty of rain n not a lot else as per usual ugh fed up continually missing out.. Roll on summer....

Channel low.... :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I found johns comments quite interesting in mod thread, that would be perfect winter weather... snow followed by high pressure with surface cold which would then keep it on ground with cold frosty days and nights.. :D

Thinking about that, you're right

Posted

only 3.0c here at moment. slight frost I expect.

Posted

I'm going to remain optimistic positive thinking and all that!!!

I think you should stay optimistic! I have lived within 7 miles of Fareham for the last 44 years. Snow has arrived from every compass point throughout that time. Even a straight northerly has delivered snow on several occasions over the years. Whilst an easterly might guarantee cold snow can arrive from all different directions ....... and often at short notice. Stay positive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I really don't understand why there's so much excitement?! I don't care how potent a North westerly, or even a Northerly is, other than a chilly feel, it does jack down here.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-01-26-18-22-12.png

The best cold spell was back in December for this area.

It can occasionally. If there are troughs sweeping down the country, the south coast can see some decent snowfall. Remember the thundersnow event from 28th Jan 2004? North Westerly's and Northerly's rarely deliver for Leicester but it did that day. Was raining on and off most the day, as soon as the colder air swept in from the North, it all kicked off! 3 inches of snow came down in the space of around 90 minutes. With thunder thrown in too. A Big band of snow covered most of England and i'm sure the south coast did ok out of it too.

Granted it is rare but it is possible to see a good few inches of snow in your neck of the woods from a NW 'erly or Northerly.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

It can occasionally. If there are troughs sweeping down the country, the south coast can see some decent snowfall. Remember the thundersnow event from 28th Jan 2004? North Westerly's and Northerly's rarely deliver for Leicester but it did that day. Was raining on and off most the day, as soon as the colder air swept in from the North, it all kicked off! 3 inches of snow came down in the space of around 90 minutes. With thunder thrown in too. A Big band of snow covered most of England and i'm sure the south coast did ok out of it too.

Granted it is rare but it is possible to see a good few inches of snow in your neck of the woods from a NW 'erly or Northerly.

True that is an example of a decent trough. I was living in north wales when that swept through and it was really spectacular how heavy the snow was there everyone had to go home early from work as they got buried in just a couple of hours.

Posted

True that is an example of a decent trough. I was living in north wales when that swept through and it was really spectacular how heavy the snow was there everyone had to go home early from work as they got buried in just a couple of hours.

Yeah it was an epic event to be honest. I think it's the heaviest snowfall I have seen in my lifetime. I was only 15 at the time and I remember just being glued to the window watching it fall. Everywhere was soaked from the persistent rain we had during the morning but as soon as that hit at around 2pm, the puddles turned white in about 10 minutes, incredible intensity.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Curiously, I'm due in Kennington on Sunday morning for football. I can see from the way this is panning out regarding precipitation (location/type) that I'm unlikely to be cancelling these plans.

Posted

Curiously, I'm due in Kennington on Sunday morning for football. I can see from the way this is panning out regarding precipitation (location/type) that I'm unlikely to be cancelling these plans.

Haha! Well if we do have snow on the ground by then... You are welcome to come sledding with me :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I cannot recall lying snow from a north westerly or a northerly here. Maybe a fleeting shower.. Until 2009, I hadn't had lying snow since 1995.

Posted

I cannot recall lying snow from a north westerly or a northerly here. Maybe a fleeting shower.. Until 2009, I hadn't had lying snow since 1995.

In both cases, I've found that it either turns to rain or it has "just run out of steam or should I say say precipitation). Again height comes in to play as quite often we will see nothing and the IOW gets nailed, purely because of it's added moisture & height.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

4,9c today. Overcast Light Westerly breeze 9km/h.

Posted

Looks like a lot of cold dry windy weather later this week and weekend. Better than last years rain rain rain.