Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thursday 29'th July

Tim B

Posted

With today looking like a good day for storms in some areas, I think we may need a storm reports thread.

So here it is.

I would also like to welcome all the new members who have signed up here over the last few days :D

Enjoy.

Posted
  • Location: South East Sheffield,South Yorkshire,located at approximately 53° 21' 20" N, 1° 13' W, 110 (+20
  • Location: South East Sheffield,South Yorkshire,located at approximately 53° 21' 20" N, 1° 13' W, 110 (+20

Have just had 1 rumble of thunder sky has gone dark and plenty of convection about

Posted

In the middle of it now, several flashes of lightning, mainly sheet lightning but it's good enough for me! Lots of thunder rumbling around. I'm back off to watch it now! :D8)8)

Edited as I forgot to mention the absolutely torrential rain we're having too

Posted

well i'm sitting here in my local maccy-D's on the BT openzone, and the radar says there's tons of stuff happening, but there is absolutely bugger all about. temp (according to car temp) is 20C. All that's around is high level stuff I have pics etc and will be uploading them later. it's hazy which makes things difficult atm to spot. although looking @ the sfericsit looks like cardiff is getting a lot.

More reports on my "chase" (if you can call it that) later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Thought I just heard a distant rumble but I was a jet aircraft - I forgot I was on the flight path into Liverpool Airport!

Posted

a few distant rumbles of thunder around the mountains at the moment, steady rain

Posted

:D o/ we have just had a thunderstorm o/ woohoo the first one of the yr that lasted more than 2 min lol kaz in barnstaple n.devon

Posted

Excellent Highcliffe, in the same band as what I saw :!: :)

:D:wink::p

1 flash of shallow (probably inner cloud) lightning nearby at 2150....

....followed by a very heavy spell of rain that shows up bright red on the met office 2200 radar :!: :D

Not great but better than just rain :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Antocymro, I live only six miles down the road, well, if I'm right Yr wyddrug is the welsh for Mold. I saw the lightning strikes on the radar but heard nothing here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Had a thunderstorm here in durham at 7:30pm But now been told from tv weather that theres more to come later tonight.

Posted

Just on my way back the Highways agency scuppered most of my plans because they've shut the A1(M) north up to BuroughBridge I went up to around Thirsk (cus of sitting in traffic on the way back). Stopped by on the way back @ Dishforth army airbase and spoke to the guard there, they had some rain just before I got there @ 19Z, i'd driven through it, and there was a couple of sounds of what he calls thunder but he was not sure, I seemed to have predicted well where the action was likely to have happened as that was my target area after leaving sheffield (confirmed by Ibex as an active place), I just happened to have got there a bit late... (ty highways agency). Other than a little rain, it was pretty un-eventful. I was usnig this as an exercise to see how well I can "forecast" things like this and tbh I was pretty close.

One thing I did notice was that there was a ton of low level cloud (fog) going across parts of the A1(M) not very dense, but you could see it if you looked across and it was starting to get thicker on the way back.

As I say, all in all an uneventful trip, but a good exercise in trying to predict patterns.. I have to give a plug to maccy-D's, their wifi is awesome, didnt even have to leave the car I recommend for those people that do take laptops with them (I used it for obvious reasons, radar, maps etc) it does come in very handy just pull in and grab the latest info... A must imho.

It gets very boring on your own, so if any1 wants to come with me if anything starts flaring up, just let me know.... PM me and i'll pass on my MSN info

Posted

:lol: Had another storm during the night

More rain, thunder and lightening. Didn't stay long but was quite impresive while it lasted :p

Posted

By the way, as well as thunder on 29th July, I note from my weather records that we had thunderstorms on April 2nd and July 4th.