Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2015 Virtual Storm Chase Thread

Nick F

Posted

whats the website link to give family members so they can see where i am when i do tour1 from 9th may please ?

It will be on the storm chasing home page, which will be opened up just before the start of the tour 1. There will also be a regular forum thread for the events on each tour where pictures and chat will be posted before and after the trip.

We have had mapping AND live streaming in previous years, I'm not sure what is planned for this year as I know the gear has been updated.

Comments from those in the know?

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

A mid-May feel to the charts today and a potential MDT upgrade for tornados off the DL.

04ZRAP has me in Medicine Lodge KS with good road links in all directions. Prime chase and viewing country actually.

Could be a few significant tornados this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

whats the website link to give family members so they can see where i am when i do tour1 from 9th may please ?

Quentin (Dorsetbred) said it as well as I could, the link for the storm chase page will go live before the tours start and we'll have streaming and mapping on there.  Plus there will be daily forum updates, both from the road and once the dust settles each evening/morning depending on how late it is when we check in to a hotel for the night.

We experimented with live chat on the stream last year, and may do something similar again, but we will share all the relevant links and info in plenty of time for the start of the tours.

Posted

Well now - latest RAP pushes DL further east and with it goes the risk.

At 21z I am now moving across to the I35 corridor just S of Wichita KS

Posted

Route 166 will be my road of choice today, expecting initiation along the dryline, front intersection around 23-00z somewhere North of Enid upto Anthony (Ks) and storm initially will move NE, But will turn east very quickly, Cape is pooling around 3,000jkg and LCL's initially high drop to around 500mtrs. The 500mb flow around 50knts and 850 Southerly winds look nice in this area and winds eventually back to the surface with time, nice storm speeds so a decent west to east road is a must today. Ample shear south of the stationery front draped SSW To NNE And dewpoints around 60-62f all point to a few tornadoes in this area today. Worrying factors could be the amount of crapvection passing through the area earlier say from 19z. So would start in Arkansas City and probably be chasing through the Coffeyville to Joplin areas still ongoing at 03z before CINH Starts to kill off any long lived Supercells!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

All shifted a bit further south today's best play, inclined to sit in Enid, Oklahoma. Torn between warm front play across SE Kansas, where deviating supercells could produce some big tornadoes or play the dryline across central Oklahoma, where storms maybe more discrete.

Most likely play the warm front TBH, so a trek into SE Kansas where it is a bit hill and wooded in places unfortunately.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Arkansas City, KS a decent punt - latest sounding for that location at 00Z maxes the directional shear with an ESE surface flow veering rapidly to WSW at 600mb.

There are as Nick and Paul have mentioned limiting factors today, not least the crud that needs to clear through in the next hour.

And just as I post I get an SPC alert for upgrade to MDT and they even mention the hodograph. I haven't cheated honest LOL.

Posted

Latest obs indicate the lobe of forcing is moving in just about in sync with projected max heating and crud clearance

PWO now issued

Posted

vissat12.45CDT_zps674vqptm.jpg

Latest vis sat. The clearance to the west is very well defined, as is the location of the TP.

(image courtesy intellicast)

Edited by nsrobins

Posted

Am I really seeing tops @ 49000ft, this early? Cells just near Caney, seemingly ballooning in height.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

been using TVN recently, is it still better than Severe studios??Or is it completely dependant on the individual stormchasers set up?

Edited by matty40s

Posted

I tend to use TVN as they normally have a few audio feeds which are entertaining. For instance, Josh Alecci just now on TVN.

Elevated cells now developing and moving into OK due NE. I expect these to lower and become more severe over the next hour as they approach SC and SE KS.

Posted

Looks like I should have stuck to my earlier target of Medicine Lodge! The chaser pack is scrambling back West to intercept the rapidly developing cells now W of Enid and moving towards the KS line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

over 2200 watching Josh Alecci

Posted

Yep, just following Tornado Trakers as they approach the wall cloud of that supercell north of Woodward on the OK/KS border. Pretty spectacular, though now dropped out now they're getting close.

Posted

Live streams from TVN here for those that need the link: https://tvnweather.com/live/

• Like 1

Posted

Josh Napper along I60 has a good view of the Medicine Lodge funnel about to drop.

Posted

Looking like a count of 4 T's (so far) from last nights reports. Settling for Enid would have put you in good stead for what played out.

Largest hail report of the night:

1930 400 SULLIVAN FRANKLIN MO 3822 9117 3-4 INCH HAIL. LARGEST HAIL WAS SPIKED ... WITH DIAMETER MEASURED FROM SPIKE-TO-SPIKE. 

Edited by Dorsetbred