Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have Your Weather Preferences Changed Over The Years?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Today my preference for certain weather types are different to say 10 years ago. Pre 2006 I was a lover of hot summers and cold snowy winters.

The July of 2006 killed my liking for hot weather as for the first time in my life I notice how oppressive and uncomfortable it was and I was relieved and happy with the cool cloudy August that followed. Similarly living in the cold of Canada for 6 winters has killed my love for cold and snow..mainly snow really I don't mind the cold so much. Thunderstorms were something of interest too but again the storms in the UK bear no resemblances to the huge storms of the Canadian prairies.

So has anyone else preference for weather types changed over time?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Interesting question. I remember some years ago I used to kinda dread Summer because I knew it was a season that would be too warm for snow to fall. Although snow is still my number one weather type, the excitement of looking forward to Winter to see the white stuff has decreased quite markedly. Most of it is down to the fact that I've grown to despise the short nights of Winter - have a disliking of travelling to and from work in the dark for example. (Don't mind it during Christmas, however, as the dark helps to make it feel festive). But another reason for this is that going for walks in the warm, fresh, air has become more of a pleasure, and something that I prefer more rather than going for walks in the cold, dark, nights of Winter (even though I still enjoy it. Especially when you're walking out in a blanket of thick snow).

I also been finding myself enjoying thunderstorms and thundery downpours more often than I used to. And I think this is due to the fact I used to be scared of storms and would always be worried about getting struck by lightning. But this fear of storms is something that I've, in general, managed to get over with. I think it's perhaps realising that you're extremely unlikely to get struck by lightning and that the chances of the UK getting a killer tornado is minute. I feel it's that, which has helped lower my fear of thundery weather.

Watching the stormy, dark, clouds pass by, the incredible light displays and listening to the various types of 'bangs' and 'kabooms' the storms make has been another contributing factor that has brought the weather type that used to be at the bottom of my list closer to the top. Almost enjoy them as much as snowfall, but the white stuff still just about wins the spotlight.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
(correcting little mistake)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

"So has anyone else preference for weather types changed over time?"   Yes!.... From moderate snow to heavy whiteout 20cm to 30cm overnight snow!!!

Ok, Ok where's Canada again :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Quite a bit actually. I used to be a fan of very cold and bitter winters, but more recently I've reverted to a year-round mildie. My summer preferences have pretty much stayed the same though - hot, sunny and thundery.

Tend to agree a little! most on here follow the models... GFS, ECM etc, throughout late Autumn, Winter any signs of the white stuff  :yahoo:(me also)...but then at the eleventh hour  :wallbash:

So why bother...be a mildie!  But then again it's just the same come Summer....Cape value watching :bomb: ......All the fun of the fair i suppose  :D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

My winter preferences have not changed (2010 even encouraged them) but the springs of 07-12 spoilt me such that spring is the season i want warm and dry. My summer preferences have changed somewhat in that i like the warm, dry spring weather only to last into July whereby we go 2011 like and get a cool washout with a cool and wet Autumn.

I tend to hate warm humidity most of all and love sunshine. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don't think I have changed at all. Cold winters hot summers any extremes.

Would i want a record cold June (CET wise) probably and always would but a record cold summer that would be a test. Def record cold winter but don't ask me on Day 60 of that record cold

I do 'feel' the cold a bit more then I use to.

Posted

If my preferences have changed over the years, I've become even more of a coldie.  (Almost) safe to say 'Coldie till I die!'

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, another victim of 2010 here. I still like snow, but not the intensity of the cold & I'm happy if it goes after a few days. Still desperate for thunderstorms in the summer, but then again after so long without a "proper" storm it's not surprising.

Posted

My fascination with snow and ice changed irrevocable after 62/3. Not strictly true as I'm still fascinated by the structures that ice forms such as rime, etc. And you can keep your F10/11s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

ive become more intollerant of the cold... i hate being cold and i seem to feel it more too (but my health/circulation is in good order). there was a time when i liked to work myself warm when it was cold... but not so much now.

also, after all these years of working outside in stinking heat, and enjoying it, im not quite so fond of it now. but its become so rare i think id welcome it now!

17c in a sunny gentle northwesterly is perhaps ideal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Always loved the cold, always disliked the heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Only slightly.

I have always liked thunderstorms and snow - ever since I was a child.

I've grown to appreciate summer a lot more after the dreadful summers of 2007-2012. I think as a child and teenager I took the lovely summers of the the 90s-mid 00s for granted and when we started getting summer after summer of cool and damp conditions, I suddenly realised how much I actually like summer.

Plus, since winters like 09/10, 10/11 and 12/13 were all pretty good, I started preferring winter simply because I got my desired weather, whereas summer was disappointing. Now though, it seems summers have improved again and winters have become milder, so my interest in winter has waned.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Not really. Always loved storms and where i used to live it hardly snowed so it was a real treat when I moved and it seemed to snow every winter ( although none on 2013 and a heavy shower but nothing laid start of this one). As storms goes, you still can't beat the ones we had on the coast, and more often than not I watched storms break up before they reached me here, or start to develop and head off. (But I would love love love to see an american storm).

I dislike windy weather especially if it is cold, and i find sunny days boring.

However if anything has changed it is how frustrated I find I get if a storm passes me by or it just rains when snow is forecast.

Posted

Nothing much has really changed I like both sides of the spectrum. I appreciate the Summer more. When I was younger, I was counting the days till December 1st when really I was just wishing my life away, so I put a stop to that and I try to go with the flow. Always been mesmerised by snow I need my snow fix...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

"So has anyone else preference for weather types changed over time?"   Yes!.... From moderate snow to heavy whiteout 20cm to 30cm overnight snow!!!

Ok, Ok where's Canada again :D

ill tell you what when you have to shovel snow on a regular basis...heavy snow fall becomes are serious pain in the backside and something you don't look forward too.. its seriously hard work esp when its windy...not only do you suffer with the wind-chill but the damn snow blows back over areas you have cleared and it takes twice as long

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In my case I think there has mostly been clarification rather than significant change, although my appreciation of warm/hot dry sunny weather has certainly risen over the last 10-15 years.  In my childhood I always thought of myself as a fan of "sunshine and showers", and towards adulthood it became clear that this was more due to the association with sunshine and convective precipitation, rather than frequently changing weather.  

The winters of 2010 and 2011 had the opposite effect to what I'd expected- before then, I had hypothesised that I would probably tire of a significant cold snowy spell after about a week of it, but those cold spells showed that my threshold was/is a lot higher than that.  (Although they also showed that I don't like it so much when solid ice sticks around for a while- in those cases I start hoping for a temporary thaw just to get rid of the ice, and then by all means bring on another dumping).

When I was a child I grossly overestimated how badly I coped in the heat, and when I found that my upper tolerance threshold was often nearer 30C than 25C, I started to have a high, rather than mixed, opinion of Spanish plume type situations.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I have increasingly disliked severe gales over the years. In the early days, I wasn't fuss but over the years they have gone higher and higher up my unwanted weather list. I would say they are near the top now. I just don't see the appeal of them now and all I see are the negatives.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I agree with the severe gales thing. As a kid, I loved them, as I had very little responsibility. Now, owning property etcetera, I view early weather warnings with a certain amount of anxiety.

Other than that, my tastes haven't changed too much. I loathe raw cloudy cold, without snow, but like snow and clear crisp weather. I like weather to be 'seasonal' 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

My preference for summer has remained my whole life - as a kid you could be out on your bike after school and playing in the garden rather than watching crap on tv like in colder weather. And now I love it still as much - for sitting outside with a beer (like last night) and for my more recent hobby - gardening. 

I think I notice how 'solar powered' I am - the more sun the better given its unreliability in the UK. Since moving to Berlin and living in a warmer house I've found the extreme cold more interesting/tolerable but grown even more tired of low cloud that dominates here in the winter (but at least it buggers off in spring unlike that awful North Sea stuff that Nottingham 'enjoyed' right up till June sometimes).

I love high humidity - it creates such a nice thick atmosphere and keeps it lovely & warm into the evening. Throw in one of the frequent summer storms we get here and perfect!

• Like 1