Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Interesting careers

Posted

The time has come for me to start thinking about career prospects as I am due to start university in September studying Natural Hazards.

Apart from a meteorologist and climatologist, do any of you know an interesting careers based on the general theme of meterology/natural hazards that are available as I can't really find many, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places?

I will probably do a MSc in Meteorology or Climatology after.

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Aviation industry might be worth a look if you like aircraft etc - there's opportunity to cover meteo stuff with NATS, the big airlines and airports, Dept of transport etc.

Otherwise the Environment Agency might be worth a look, all the civil service jobs are listed on one website if you google it, might give you a few ideas?

Posted

Aviation industry might be worth a look if you like aircraft etc - there's opportunity to cover meteo stuff with NATS, the big airlines and airports, Dept of transport etc.

Otherwise the Environment Agency might be worth a look, all the civil service jobs are listed on one website if you google it, might give you a few ideas?

thanks jo! I didn't even think about the aviation industry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

No worries :) it's something I've got a bit of experience in, so drop me a line if you've got any questions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The Environment Agency is quite a good bet.  I had a few job interviews with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency which has similar posts.  There is also a fair amount of research going on into the relationship between meteorology and hydrology, e.g. the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology offices at Wallingford.

You may find though that it may be necessary to move around the country- the jobs tend to be concentrated around certain areas, particularly Reading, Exeter, Norwich, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh.  It's one of the few career areas where, fortunately for me, London isn't the main centre for jobs, although there are a few companies based in London such as MeteoGroup.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers