Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 4 are you there?

Dorsetbred

Posted

It's tended to be the same the last couple of years. The later tours seem to generate less interest on here & we hear much less of them. I suppose, generally the areas travelled don't lend themselves to live streaming & seeing less of the action, we don't feel nearly as involved as with the earlier more Southerly based chasing, as a result, the team seem to interact less with we followers & it becomes a sort of circle of apathy.

Posted

It's tended to be the same the last couple of years. The later tours seem to generate less interest on here & we hear much less of them. I suppose, generally the areas travelled don't lend themselves to live streaming & seeing less of the action, we don't feel nearly as involved as with the earlier more Southerly based chasing, as a result, the team seem to interact less with we followers & it becomes a sort of circle of apathy.

I acknowledge your point, but if you can see through the inevitable technical issues the chasing and terrain up in the central and high plains is some of the best there is IMO. The workaround for the virtual chaser is to use a combination of the NW info flow and some of the other live feeds available (TVN, ChaserTV for instance), and on active days embed the live news channels who regularly break in to schedules to stream storm coverage.

I think the term 'apathy' is more perspective than subjective.

Posted

Yes we are here but with only 1 decent Internet puck and that being used for valueable data whilst chasing and the streaming car having a signal that is not great I feel that the people that have paid money to see Supercells and Tornadoes get the best value for money (Eg to actually have data constantly which will result in them seeing more Tornadoes)

Next year we hope to have both pucks working really well so the streaming is also of top notch, and we now know which cell provider does this, but not going to go out and spend a load more money on another puck when we have 1 great one and 3 not soo good.

Will update as and when we can but the best signal and puck will always be in the chase car giving these guys the best experience.

Posted

Yeah thanks Paul, I always enjoy the Northern Plains, scenery is great, and some fantastic storms roll aross there and you see them miles away. 

From the other perspective, it's a plus to know us folks here are always keen to see what youz guys can find, and the next couple of days may hold pleasant rewards.

Chase on!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

No offence meant, its really frustrating when only 1 of the 4 pucks is working well, and we need that for mesoscale updates, grlevel3 which allows us to get really close in to these Supercells, if the streaming car had the signal constantly and I cant see any data ref Md's issued or up to date data then we would not be able to chase 100% safely.

Hoping next year we have 2 pucks that are identical in the signal we get, will update often today and the next 2 days after though, we will be heading North from Sterling in about 45 minutes  and targeting Western Nebraska today.

Posted

Thanks Paul, appreciate the update, and understand your need on the puck and the nope - still swearing*d pucks!

Understand that safety, Oh and storms for the guests come first.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I am really pleased that we get updates and post-event pics and vids on here, the stormchasing by the teams is an absolute bonus when it works.

I have been following the american stormchasing for years on various platforms and tend to flip between chasers and even platforms  and areas as the evenings develop.

Following our UK storm teams exclusively would not be normal for most interweb based stormchasers, I do keep tabs, and occasionally follow, but it is a fascinating part of a much bigger picture, which hopefully gets utilised to make landbased dwellers more safe and aware in the long run.

Edited by matty40s