Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A third of the world’s biggest groundwater basins are in distress

knocker

Posted

Reserves likely far smaller than previously thought, UCI-led studies find

Irvine, Calif., June 16, 2015 – Two new studies led by UC Irvine using data from NASA Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment satellites show that human consumption is rapidly draining some of its largest groundwater basins, yet there is little to no accurate data about how much water remains in them.

The result is that significant segments of Earth’s population are consuming groundwater quickly without knowing when it might run out, the researchers conclude. The findings appear today in Water Resources Research.

http://news.uci.edu/press-releases/a-third-of-the-worlds-biggest-groundwater-basins-are-in-distress/

I believe the way forward is to build desalination plants and use solar methods for generating the power - this water can then be piped* inland where in many cases there are dried out lakes which could be replenished - I have been hearing for quite a while now that the extent which the Arabian Aquifer is being depleted is unsustainable.

*As far as the pipes are concerned, let's face it, we do not appear to have any problems in piping gas and oil over long distances so I don't see any reason why the same should not apply to water, except that oil and gas is so much more lucrative but water is essential to life - which is more important?

In any case once the infra-structure has been established there will be money to be made from the more sustainable agriculture and who knows what else could be developed.

Hopefully this could also help to provide a peace dividend in some of the more politically unstable parts of the world.

Edited by mike Meehan