Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 20th August 2015 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snow, hurricanes

not holding many hopes for nw oxfordshire. weve had one tiny storm all year, but a load of hail with it

Posted

Wow... Manchester is slap bang in the middle of the moderate risk zone - by far one of the best places to see something tomorrow! Must... not... get... too... excited! :shok::bomb:

You're just down the road from me. I'm in New Moston.

Here's hoping everyone who wants something gets lucky tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm - but it's not often you find yourself under a moderate warning.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Posted

Nottinghamshire mentioned on some posts - wayhay!!!  Hoping to see something tomorrow, its been a fairly quiet year so far! Feeling pretty muggy here tonight  :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

TBH the possibility is there for some area's, I think tornado watch is more appropriate though.

Really?

Honestly?

Edited for the swear editor, which edited my mild swear for something a little more w4nk.

Edited by dusk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sad to say, but I bet Gordon Webb has just ordered himself some extra-strength underwear reading Nick's excellent forecast  :help:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

sad to say, but I bet Gordon Webb has just ordered himself some extra-strength underwear reading Nick's excellent forecast  :help:

Tena :shok:

Posted

Well J Wynn had A very different outlook for Sat afternoon, evening, night, with only small storm chance up the eastern side, Sbad wordhorpe, Grimsby, that sort of way (1am weather)

Who's correct'ish.....??

I have been trying to type the town of S C U N T H O R P E for ages!! Won't have it....

Keeps changing it to Sprunethorpe!!!!

Edited by Speedway Slider

Posted

Despite in MDT on Nicks assessment, I am thinking we probably safe from the worst, though tempting fate here, which can be always dangerous thoughts.  Not the storm worrying would love the action just worried about the rain and the damage it could bring.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Suprised such a massive area under warning, the models seem to suggest only a thin line (inluding North West) will bare brunt tomorrow afternoon, CAPE and lifted values dont seem too unbelievable tbh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

From current GFS/NMM/Euro 4 I would say yes. However Met Office have it more your way. I will be waiting for the morning to make a final decision. At the end of the day it will come down to radar watching, cloud spotting etc but it is helpful to be near where they are going to fire.

That tends to be the difficulty even if the models all agree. Maybe follow areas where wind convergence occurs as this may indicate a developing trough?

How about Grantham or Newark :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

:cc_confused: How about Grantham or Newark :D

Who would want to bet against Lincolnshire in any thundery set up :D

But joking aside I think anywhere in a line from about Stafford to Grantham and north looks the likely place for the first wave of storms. A guess would be somewhere like Sheffield to get the clobbering but that is purely a guess.

Edit: The 00z NMM has just come out and that takes some storms north across from the West Midlands into NW England and the western Pennines late this afternoon before another wave develops across the likes of the Peak District and north Notts running into South Yorkshire and then northwards towards NW England. 18z Euro4 agrees with this too, so on these runs the likes of Lincolnshire stay dry. 

It will come down to radar watching I think.  :cc_confused:

Met Office have moved the weather warning northward and expanded too to be more in line with the models. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

post-2719-0-90741400-1440222756_thumb.jp

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted

Oh dear how ridiculous

It does get a warning technically, but no more than any other storm risk day really.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Take your pick make your choice. Latest nmm for us dull but temps programmed far too high unless we get some sun. Local met forecast Sunny spells cooler than NMM or netweather extra light showers later. Netweather dull morning 50% of a storm in the afternoon heavy evening rain temps too high. Met office warning isolated storms so every base is covered. Ahhh watching latest forecast everything further west and north so we are in the isolated storm area so may get some hot sun later on and a slight risk of a storm in the evening.

If we miss the storm I can get the garden done tomorrow it may have dried out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I love a good thunderstorm and this year again has been great for my neck of the woods - I have seen some of the largest hail I have ever seen this year which even dented that car a bit.

But saying that a risk zone is just that.  You may get a storm or you may not but either way even if you don't there's some really interesting weather about.

I would say radar watching and checking other posters comments to see what weather they have locally and you can work out which direction any storms are headed.  This way you won't be disappointed when or if the storms pass by you and you don't get one.

No point in being down about stuff - the weather will do what it want when it wants despite charts and the likes.

Happy storm hunting today peeps!

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1

Posted

Sad to say I'm going to be missing this one, though residing in a sweat box lol.

Cameras and vids at the ready chaps and chapettes - could be some notable weather.

Only irritating thing is that if there is some super cellular/tornadic activity it will encourage the Express to publish doom-mongering headlines.

Good luck all and remember to keep your wits - while severe stuff in this country isn't common it can nevertheless be dangerous!!

Enjoy :D

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Although still v happy with my storms this year (best year ever since about 1995), I can't possibly get through August without any - the month is historically usually one of the best for storms in this area. However I'm more than satisfied with the idea of 2 very warm days on the trot :D :D 

• Like 1

Posted

If it's any consolation August has been poor for several years in my neck of the woods, whereas growing up in the 90s it was the month that seemed to guarantee big storms, particularly the powerful overnight MCSs.

• Like 1

Posted

Although not in a particularly at risk area, we've been predicted to be cloudy until 10 ish this morning, however some milky sunshine has been poking through the clouds this morning, which bodes well I guess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Although still v happy with my storms this year (best year ever since about 1995)...

Dude I think u need to update your sig - it says you've only had one storm in 2015 - how can that possibly make it a good storm year?!

(Unless it was the most amazing storm ever...)

Posted

storms will develop over the east midlands this afternoon and move up the spine of the country towards south/west yorkshire,  seems we 'might' just scrape one here later this afternoon or early evening if lucky     , but think heavy overnight rain will be more of a feature here

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think it's all to play for with a large swathe of the country under at least a moderate chance of something. Nothing on the radar yet except the frontal rain in the west but that looks to be clearing, somewhat slowly. 2pm sounds like the moment it all kicks off but I'm not able to chase otherwise I'd probably head north west over the M4 to the Warwick / Northampton area and lie in wait for something.

I think personally the best chances for my area will be late afternoon, overnight tonight, Sunday during mid-morning and looking good in the east for Monday too.

One thing is for certain, there will be lightning over the UK, somewhere - and it's going to get very, very wet in many places - so if you are driving / chasing - keep slow, and remember your braking distance!

Keep safe :-)