Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That's a big shame. Probably the best one of the bunch.

Have you got a source for this? Can't find anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

A big shame. I had a lot of respect for him after he got genuinely angry at the Express headlines live on BBC News once!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Sorry Phil is leaving. He is the best of the national BBC forecasters in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

A small but handy update to the new site your home location now appears on the home screen with a 4-day forecast

13fdd3a4-82fb-43f8-8b79-221860e8c3d9.thumb.png.c3db0fbff0f341ad4601f2401bf69cce.png

• 4 months later...
Posted
On 29/06/2018 at 23:57, Summer Sun said:

Philip Avery has left BBC weather 

Philip Avery has returned wonder if he's gone freelance like John Hammond

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'm still not over Dan Corbett leaving, he was incredible!

Glad Phil Avery is back, though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Noticed a few differences in the forecasts lately and theres been a few times you've wondered which model they've been looking at. I'm waiting for the day when there systems say a quite day and met office has warnings out for bad weather. Got to happen when you're using two different systems. 

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

A bit of background , I work as a cricket groundsman in North Lincs , as a result I keep more than a close eye on the forecasts , generally within 7 days max but critical is the next 24/48 hours especially with regards to applying chemicals or leaving the covers on , since the change and especially in 2018 I have been let down more times than I count. Typically I can be at the ground around lunchtime , check the forecast and it says dry so I leave the covers off and go home , within a few hours it starts to cloud over , I recheck the forecast and it's now saying 80% chance of rain , at short notice ( within 12 hours ) to go from 0 to 80% chance of rain seems unacceptable  , I'm now trying to change years of habit of trusting the BBC forecasts above all others because since they changed the contract my practical experience is that the accuracy has declined. 

• Like 2

Posted

I sympathise. For example the BBC forecast for Hull presently gives a 58% probability of rain at 1300 today. That's only 35 minutes from now, yet a glance at the radar tells me that the showers are all over the North Sea and coastal extremities like Flamborough Head and Cleethorpes. I prefer the Met Office site for short term forecasts: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcrzgymcy#?map=CloudAndRain&zoom=7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year
2 minutes ago, 4caster said:

I sympathise. For example the BBC forecast for Hull presently gives a 58% probability of rain at 1300 today. That's only 35 minutes from now, yet a glance at the radar tells me that the showers are all over the North Sea and coastal extremities like Flamborough Head and Cleethorpes. I prefer the Met Office site for short term forecasts: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcrzgymcy#?map=CloudAndRain&zoom=7

I appreciate the difficulties of the forecasters , I am not expecting 100% accuracy ten days in advance , I know that is unrealistic but you cannot go from 0% to 80% within a few hours , something is wrong there and for those like me for whom an accurate short range forecast is important that is enough for me to move away from the BBC , I now use the WeatherQuest radar to see where stuff is and am trying to get into the habit of using the metoffice for the 0-48 hrs info. Your post above is a perfect example of what I mean. 

Posted

It is impossible in scattered showery situations (as over the North Sea today) to have any confidence in the forecast FOR A PARTICULAR PLACE for more than an hour or two ahead. One can predict the MOVEMENT of showers, but it's usually impossible to predict when and where each shower will decay, and when and where new ones will pop up (which is what they do, literally!).

Posted
10 minutes ago, 4caster said:

It is impossible in scattered showery situations (as over the North Sea today) to have any confidence in the forecast FOR A PARTICULAR PLACE for more than an hour or two ahead. One can predict the MOVEMENT of showers, but it's usually impossible to predict when and where each shower will decay, and when and where new ones will pop up (which is what they do, literally!).

I agree but my point is in that case the chance of showers should not be indicated as 0% , more like 50% , if I know there is a chance then while I accept that it could mean no rain at all there is also a decent chance I will , at which stage I will make any preparations I need. To go from " it's not going to rain today" to "rain expected in the next 30 minutes" within a couple of hours is just poor. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 30/06/2018 at 00:02, Nick L said:

A big shame. I had a lot of respect for him after he got genuinely angry at the Express headlines live on BBC News once!

Phil loves a rant. He is doing some shifts freelance.

• Like 2

Posted

Big contrast between the met forecast and the Beeb forecast. Beeb over doing the snow threat away from Scotland. Met office mainly Scotland which looks to me the only place we will see any major Snowfall.

Posted

Surprise oh surprise no mention of the silly Snow further south Sunday and Monday on the beeb. Met office certainly wins that one.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

BBC weather are getting their evening broadcast on BBC one cut from 2.5 minutes to 1.5 minutes from March 4th

The change is part of cuts to the news at 10 which is getting shortened by 4 minutes along with regional news

The revamp is to allow BBC Three programmes to be shown on BBC one between Monday & Wednesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

BBC weather are getting their evening broadcast on BBC one cut from 2.5 minutes to 1.5 minutes from March 4th

The change is part of cuts to the news at 10 which is getting shortened by 4 minutes along with regional news

The revamp is to allow BBC Three programmes to be shown on BBC one between Monday & Wednesday

No problems with that providing one thing - the license fee goes down not up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hardly watch BBC forecasts any more, caught one the other day and saw they STILL haven't improved those abysmal graphics. The ITV ones are far better, at least you can easily tell the difference between clear/cloudy/fog/snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

BBC should go back to sticking the symbols on Michael Fish style, always fun watching snow symbols slide off or not stick at all.

Posted

Does anyone watch TV forecasts anymore what with all the information that's available at your fingertips? 

I watch the BBC extended forecasts very occasionally if I fancy a giggle though. ?