Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where are all the wasps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well the sun's out and the wasps are back

Need a couple of frosts soon, that will make them bugger off permanently, nasty little laminate floors. Although for a bunch of bastards, their nests are pretty impressive. Good little builders those bastards. :D

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted

Around here it's been a very quiet season albeit the last few weeks have seen their numbers increase slightly. The cold and unsettled start to spring / early summer would've have limited the food resources for wasps grubs, how sad never mind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I thought that was true but their fangs are not sharp enough also too small to penetrate through human skin?

Nope. Total myth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nope. Total myth.

It's trueish with the giant house spider, however; its bite would be comparable to a bee-sting - if its jaws could penetrate human skin. :shok:  :shok:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Insects have been getting less and less each year. Remember the days when you used go out for a drive and windscreen would get pasted with them. Places like halfords used to sell sponges to get them off. Not any more very rare you get squashed bug on your windscreen. As for wasps zippo this autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

That is a good point there someone mentioned above about daddy long legs, and also gnats, are they here this time of year? They're a gfuqhgfpjh to society but I suppose they play their part, anyhow I'm glad I've not been bitten (yet). I have to admit though, the lack of insects, this year, or maybe a few years back is alarming! I'll take the daddy long legs and gnats over these spiders any day! 

Posted

How can you tame an insect???

I'm not quite sure you familiarise yourself with the creature - after doing some reason I discover:

A man claims he has managed to tame an aggressive hornet, and can even take it for ‘walkies’ (or flyies?) on a lead.

Twitter user Mikuru625 has posted pictures of himself holding the potentially lethal giant Japanese giant hornet.

He claims that after catching the famously aggressive insect, which kills 40 people on average every summer in its native Japan, he used tweezers to remove its sting and poison sacks, rendering it harmless.

Mikuru625 then tied string around the hornet’s thorax and now takes it everywhere he goes.

‘He does bite occasionally but it doesn’t really hurt,’ he said.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/12/man-tamed-a-potentially-lethal-giant-hornet-and-takes-it-for-walks-on-a-piece-of-string-4830032/#ixzz3mmCv9paa

It isn't as clear cut as I thought!

Posted

Found them. Killed them as necessary. Nests in roof of house, garage roof, compost heap and a random hole in the garden.

Haven't had one bothering me for some time now.

Bet they are ganging up and will pounce any time now.

Posted

I had a wasps nest for the first time ever this Summer. I was totally fascinated by the detail of it. Amazing construction!

attachicon.gifIMG_7026.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7040.JPG

Looks like the nest was destroyed before next years queens could emerge and then hibernate? If so that's a shame.                                                                                           IMO.

Posted

Masses of wasps in my neck of the woods,being a gardener and allergic to the stings,they have kept me on my toes,one interesting thing though is that certain plants this year have cornered the market with the wasps.

Posted

They're all here! Literally swarming they have been especially during the roasting August. Sitting outside a cafe to eat was near impossible at times as they just appear in their tens or more.

Now it's cooled a bit there are far less of them around. Will see if they come back now we're in for some sunny days.

Same thing happened to me when I went to Hamburg in August. It took forever to eat my breakfast because of all the jaspers getting in the way. Haven't seen that many wasps since I was in the pub years ago and there was a nest nearby which had to be removed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still got wasps here in warm Stourbridge this afternoon.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

I have a massive phobia of the things, so I'm delighted to say I haven't seen a single one this year at all at home. It has been a very unusual year, all I can think is the hard frosts we had in late-April and early May killed them off. In fact this has happened quite often in the last few years so perhaps that's it?

Posted

A wasp tried to drink my apple tango today,they are drawn to cider and sweet drinks at shows.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A reasonable number of wasps here the last few weeks,hate wasps but they should be dying off soon enough in the next few weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Perhaps if you stopped killing them there might be more about!  :nonono:  :fool:

I have no idea why you (or others) feel the need to do this to both wasps and bees. I just pick them up and pop them outside, simples. They have no interest in stinging you unless they feel threatened. I have been stung myself on a few occasions, the worst being inside my mouth when I nearly swallowed a wasp (it had sneaked into a can of larger whilst out fishing one day), but that still doesn't put me off them, in fact the very opposite, I find them to be wonderful creatures. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Had a barbecue and not  a single wasp in sight. :D Flies on the the other hand were trying to fly off with my chicken. :angry:

Perhaps if you stopped killing them there might be more about!  :nonono:  :fool:

I have no idea why you (or others) feel the need to do this to both wasps and bees. I just pick them up and pop them outside, simples. They have no interest in stinging you unless they feel threatened. I have been stung myself on a few occasions, the worst being inside my mouth when I nearly swallowed a wasp (it had sneaked into a can of larger whilst out fishing one day), but that still doesn't put me off them, in fact the very opposite, I find them to be wonderful creatures. 

Wasps sting for no reason, you could be minding your own business and then BAM! Bees on the other hand are gentle creatures, unless they are being threatened. I stroke bees on the head. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Who's complaining? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Had a barbecue and not  a single wasp in sight. :D Flies on the the other hand were trying to fly off with my chicken. :angry:

Wasps sting for no reason, you could be minding your own business and then BAM! Bees on the other hand are gentle creatures, unless they are being threatened. I stroke bees on the head. :D

Yeah I have no issue with bees! If one gets into my house I will do everything I can to help it outside.

Wasps are just aggressive, nasty ****ers. They're like the insect form of geese.

Posted

I was camping once and the wasp flew in to my sleeping bag and stung me 5 times. I felt the need to kill it. I don't know why you (or others) feel the need to not after being stung. That's just weird. ;-) (wasp tongue in cheek of course :-)

I was camping once and the wasp flew in to my sleeping bag and stung me 5 times. I felt the need to kill it. I don't know why you (or others) feel the need to not after being stung. That's just weird. ;-) (wasp tongue in cheek of course :-)

I don't know how a dead wasp can sting you four times.