Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's your fantasy winter?

Posted

There might already be a thread for this, but figured it'd be good to have one in the winter forum.

What do you want from winter - (1st December to 28th February official, looking a little longer this year if things go to plan).

Do you want a mild, wet winter or a cold and snowy winter, or something different. What snow depth do you want, if realistic pressures like having to get to work weren't a barrier, what temperatures do you want?

I'll start:

Snow depths: 120cm by Christmas, 240cm-360cm by February

Temperatures: Record of -25C maximum by day and -35C minimum by night

Icicle counts: Should occur regularly and be anything up to 3ft in length

Snow drifts: Good 10ft or so

Maximum Windspeed: Around 150mph

Ice Days: At least 40

Frosts: Every day from Dec to Feb

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

On Dec  1st it would be cold and snowy.

On Dec 2nd it would be cold and snowy.

On Dec 3rd it would be cold and snowy.

On Dec 4th it would be cold and snowy.

On Dec 5th it would be cold and snowy.

On Dec 6th it would be..........

you get the general idea...:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

My 'Weather preferences' says it all tongue.gif

'Cold and Snow

-20 would be nice'.

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

There might already be a thread for this, but figured it'd be good to have one in the winter forum.

What do you want from winter - (1st December to 28th February official, looking a little longer this year if things go to plan).

Do you want a mild, wet winter or a cold and snowy winter, or something different. What snow depth do you want, if realistic pressures like having to get to work weren't a barrier, what temperatures do you want?

I'll start:

Trust me by the end of Dec you would be sick of this and longing for spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Personally I'd quite happily take snow on the ground from Dec to March. Some good falls interspersed with calm cold, sunny periods (at the weekends of course) to enjoy the wintry landscape.

One thing I haven't seen for a wile is a good blizzard, with some decent drifting. Even with the copious amounts of snow we had here in Aberdeenshire in 2009, 2010 etc, it just about all fell 'straight down'. Last decent drifting I can remember seeing was when I lived in Dunfermline, which would have been early 'noughties'. Came off an Easterly and where the snow was drifting in off the fields in places the drifts were well over the height of a car.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Cold, crisp mornings and cold, icy nights that make you want to snuggle under a blanket by the fire.

Then over the Christmas period I'd love to see a week or so of that thick, heavy snow that blankets the land deeply in snow just like you always see in the movies. Families play outisde in the snow and it's just like a Christmas card scene.

Then back to the thick, frosty mornings. You know the type where the sun boounces off the landscape so it looks like diamonds.

Then as the end of February draws near, a gradual warming where you get the firsts hints of spring, brining hopes for a long hot, stormy summer ahead.

*sigh*

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

2016 is a leap year, so our "offical winter" will be one day longer this time anyway. :p

Speaking theoretically and ignoring silly side-issues like work, food, electricity etc... ;) I would also really like to see a proper blizzard again. December 1990 was probably the last one here, then January 1982. (I didn't live here then, but I did live in the same general area.) That 1982 blizzard was the last time a foot of snow feel in this part of the world, so I suppose that would be my benchmark for something amazing.

I'd like to see good snowfalls in Dec-Jan when the sun's at its weakest, as I love the sight of blazing sunshine over a thick, unmelting snowfield with the temperature below freezing all day. 2010 gave me sunny, snowy ice days in both Jan and Dec, but it hasn't really happened since. I do also enjoy dry, crisp, frosty days (especially in the mornings), so those would be welcome too.

Ideally there'd be at least one night with thick snow cover and a full moon -- a midnight walk around the country lanes nearby with no need to take a torch is magical, but I've only managed it a handful of times. Double-figure minima are very rare here, so the odd -10C would be icing on the cake. And I'd also love to see another day with bright midwinter sun lighting up trees thickly covered in rime, as happened last in December 2010.

The thing I really don't want is a wet winter -- those conditions have always proved bad for my health, much more so than a cold winter. Flooding does more damage than cold in these parts, in any case. It'd be worse if it were cold, since there'd be that feeling of "so close" when places 200m higher had snow as you looked out at driving, sleety rain. So in order of preference:

1. Cold and snowy

2. Cold, crisp and frosty

3. Mild, sunny and dry

4. Nondescript and unmemorable

5. Warm and wet

6. Cold, wet and sleety

Posted

Trust me by the end of Dec you would be sick of this and longing for spring!

I think I have a better handle on my own weather preferences than a random stranger on the internet - for your info I certainly wouldn't be sick of it until at least February. A shovels all that's needed to make sure you still enjoy it all, but thanks anyway.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Cold crisp start to December with heavy snow 2nd half of the month.. cold cold new years with a fresh snow top up early and late in the month then Feb would be an all out snow fest with lots of heavy falls and strong gusty winds giving massive drifts like we had in March 2013...ice days galore hard frosts and no mild weather at all none not even a couple of days don't want it its not welcome warmth is for spring and summer...

• Like 2

Posted

If I could take one thing it would be Christmas Eve to have 3 to 4 inches of snow fall steadily during the day. At around 11pm a period of perhaps a couple of hours of snow.

Christmas Day cold and frosty am then clouding up to give steady snow in the afternoon and evening to give a proper white Christmas.

I have only ever seen one little shower of snow after rain on Christmas Day and one shower of snow towards tea time a few years later. We did have snow on the ground in December 2010 but no snow fell on Christmas Day.

Just one proper white Christmas please and of course world peace!!

Edited by Kirk Langley
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I think I have a better handle on my own weather preferences than a random stranger on the internet - for your info I certainly wouldn't be sick of it until at least February. A shovels all that's needed to make sure you still enjoy it all, but thanks anyway.

Have you ever experienced cold and snow for months on end? if not you can't possibly know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'll start:

WOW...Very extreme!! That would be an utter nightmare winter for many, I would say you'd be house bound and unable to go out but the house would probably be blown to bits, have no running water and you'd probably die of hypothermia! 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Four feet of snow on December 1, followed by a daily top-up of four inches every day until Feb 28...?

• Like 1

Posted
​

WOW...Very extreme!! That would be an utter nightmare winter for many, I would say you'd be house bound and unable to go out but the house would probably be blown to bits, have no running water and you'd probably die of hypothermia! 

Sounds fab, where do I sign up for it? :)

Have you ever experienced cold and snow for months on end? if not you can't possibly know.

Not but I've experienced 2009-10 and 2010-2011, as well as the brief cold spell in early 2013 and it didn't feel like enough for me personally. Over a foot of snow is lovely but it's just not quite enough when it's gone  in a few weeks. We're in Britain, the snows going to cause disruption if it falls in mms - we might as well have a decent bucketload of it.​

• Like 3

Posted

I'm wondering now when we last had a White Christmas (as in snow falling) in Kent?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

The following would be the dream (for me)... 

November: gradual trend to cooler / freezing weather with chilly evenings and early morning ground frosts 

December: frosts become more severe and with daytime and night minima dropping. The first falls of snow occur around the 15th, just prior to my Birthday :D, with regular and frequent top ups all the way to Christmas (including on the day itself) and then on into the New Year. 

January: snowfields look great and depths increasing as compacted snow and ice builds up. Record breaking low temperature is achieved along with one of the most ferocious blizzards the UK has ever seen, leaving another further 3 feet of fresh snow. Drifts start to reach 12ft + in places   

February: continuation of January theme with some lovely clear, sunny but exceptionally cold days. Daytime minima record is achieved. Further heavy snowfalls and blizzard like conditions giving us near record breaking snow and drift depths 

March: first couple of weeks cold wintry weather continues before gradual thaw takes hold, giving way to more spring like weather. 

April: winter has one last bite and provides record breaking snowfall and cold for Easter 

Undoubtedly, I may have relocate to Canada to see the likes of this, but one can dream and If it only happened once in my lifetime, I would be very happy with that!  :D  :friends:  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Exactly my point...having experienced this kind of winter as much as I like cold etc...there comes a point were it becomes the norm and tedium really sets in...its at this point you just yearn for spring sunshine and a bit of warmth on your face.

Posted

Exactly my point...having experienced this kind of winter as much as I like cold etc...there comes a point were it becomes the norm and tedium really sets in...its at this point you just yearn for spring sunshine and a bit of warmth on your face.

I've got friends who now live in parts of the US and Canada that get serious snow in winter or months on and end and they think we're mad for wanting loads of snow. By the end of the week they are sick of it, having to dig the ground every morning and cars breaking and ice slipping everywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I think for many of us Brits, it's that fact we only get snow in rare circumstances, and that makes it exciting ! It changes our environment, and also changes our daily routine. The land is turned from green and grey, to white and magical, and our daily routines are disrupted. Instead of work for us and school for the kids we are out sledging and having fun and end up walking to the local shop for some milk, because the car is snowed in!.

So for me, it's about the anticipation and the chase, then the delivery. But not unending freezing conditions.

My ultimate would be following the build up to a white Christmas then to get the mother of all snowstorms on Christmas eve, some good totals like 20-30 inches then followed by a few weeks of cold and repeated snowfalls jut to top up the gorgeousness.

Then I'd probably get itchy for a change and welcome back some milder weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

hiya all, although i love snow, like seriously love snow, the one thing i cant stand is when we have an amazing fall of snow then after a couple of days it turns into a compact unbreakable ice sheet, esp when the kiddies still wanna play snowballs, its like throwing rocks, soo dangerous, but as people have said, its something we dont see often so for little ones when they see snow no matter how old it is, they just wanna play, those are very dangerous times, so id definately not want a whole winter of constant snow  :cold:

Id say my ideal winter weather if i could choose it would be a snow that fell thick and fast overnight, lasted a couple of days then warmed enough for it to all thaw, a dry day or 2 so the ground is lovely and dry then more thick blankets of snow, just keep reloading for a couple of months or so, now that would be nice.

Truthfully thou id like for december to have a few falls that dont settle,( :oops:  dont shoot me please haha) just to get us all into the xmas spirit while were all running round finishing work, school specials and preparing for xmas, then an amazing deep fall of snow that blanketed the country overnight on xmas eve then some flurries the morning of xmas day, now that would be magical, even if there was only a few flurries that didnt settle from then on, id defo have to go with xmas eve and xmas day magical, traditional, snowy proper xmas 

Posted

I've got friends who now live in parts of the US and Canada that get serious snow in winter or months on and end and they think we're mad for wanting loads of snow. By the end of the week they are sick of it, having to dig the ground every morning and cars breaking and ice slipping everywhere.

Actually its damn hard backbreaking work shovelling your drive and footpaths..make sure you don't drive across your drive before you clear it otherwise it compacts the snow down and the bottom layers becomes ice and you cant move the stuff!..often I would return from work or before I left for work have to clear my drive..if it was particularly heavy snowfall it could take the best part of hour or two to get the job done..no fun at all..i hated it..no wonder many people die of heart attacks shovelling snow each winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

hiya all, although i love snow, like seriously love snow, the one thing i cant stand is when we have an amazing fall of snow then after a couple of days it turns into a compact unbreakable ice sheet, esp when the kiddies still wanna play snowballs, its like throwing rocks, soo dangerous, but as people have said, its something we dont see often so for little ones when they see snow no matter how old it is, they just wanna play, those are very dangerous times, so id definately not want a whole winter of constant snow 

The above is a problem with the marginal/wet nature of most British snowfall.  Wet snow tends to turn to slush when pressured or subjected to milder air with dew points just above freezing, and then re-freezes when those conditions are removed, leading to the ice sheet.  On the other hand, wet snow, as long as it doesn't turn slushy and icy, is great for building snowmen and throwing snowballs.  Dry powdery snow is on the other hand better for skiing, sledging and relatively low disruption to road transport (although rail transport can be gridlocked due to "the wrong type of snow", as infamously happened in February 1991).

I recall that in the Tyne and Wear area, this problem did not arise during December 2010 because much of the snow was quite dry and powdery- there was no ice on Christmas Day despite most of the lying snow being six days old- but it became a significant problem around Christmas 2009, following repeated freeze-thaw actions between the 22nd and 24th.  I am yet to tire of cold snowy weather, but I have on occasion wished for temporary thaws to remove sheets of ice.

My fantasy winter would consist of a mix of very cold bright spells with snow showers and occasional thundersnow (quite dry powdery stuff), and some shorter-lived cold snaps, interspersed with some mild dry sunny interludes and also some blustery westerlies.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

would like to see a foot of snow fall every single day throughout and worry about the consequences when they occur , I'm hardcore I am, theres no in between with me.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

For a fantasy Winter it would have to include:

> Numerous snowy spells with some proper heavy snowfalls

> Some snowfalls providing depths up to 50cm

> A monster snowstorm giving 100cm of snow within 50 minutes

> Some freezing and unstable Easterlies with king-sized snow showers flooding in from the East.

> Super thick frosty mornings and most days with snow cover

> The Vortex to not spend most of its holidays around Greenland

> There would be a few odd milder spells (as I think 3 months of solid freezing weather would likely become overwhelming)

> One or two odd Atlantic storms - one of which where a frontal band of rain turns to snow as an unusually cold Westerly flow tries to undercut the band of precipitation.

> A few bright, calm, sunny days

> A fair amount of Western blocking, and also Northern blocking. :spiteful:

> Hardly any dull, chilly, cloudy days

• Like 1