Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 16th Nov onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Any updates about tomorrow's severe gales?

The Midlands (well, around here) rarely get winds of 60mph, so it could cause a huge amount of damage and chaos.

We're all understandably looking towards the weekend, but there's something extreme just 24 hours away?

Hi , looks a stormy period between 7 pm and 11 pm across much of central and eastern England, Yes damage is quite likely, and disruption, perhaps the worst winds in nearly 2 years in these areas......

post-6830-0-26888800-1447702533_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-22642300-1447702592_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

I would like to ask a question for those who are a lot more in the know than my humble self.

Is any body able to define as a rough percentage the overall success of the different model outputs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Not keen on that organising vortex at end of GFS ECM lower Siberian heights...zonality an +NAO...not my cup of tea thanks.!!

According to Weatherweb, it fits with the long-range CFS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tI808TATo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

According to Weatherweb, it fits with the long-range CFS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tI808TATo

A re-run of 62-63 it is then? :D

• Like 4

Posted

I think the GEFS anomalies tonight highlight the uncertainties involving the upper air evolution. They do proceed to move the trough east on Tuesday, as has been suggested for a day or two, with slight ridging to the SW.  By Thursday, still maintaining the HP GOA, it builds the HP mid Atlantic whilst dropping a trough over the UK so an unsettled NW flow with temps around average.

The 11-15 period tends to move the long wave pattern a tad east, ( flattening the pattern which is no great surprise) and developing a weak LP northern Canada. This results in a more zonal westerly flow with temps around average but could bring some wintry conditions to the north with the airflow sourced Canada. But there is much to play for.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-55757600-1447703508_thumb.p

post-12275-0-56011500-1447703515_thumb.p

post-12275-0-97479500-1447703521_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Do you think that model is likely to verify at that sort of range?  I appreciate it's an anomaly output(?); I just wondered whether the reliability towards February is going to so low that it isn't worth bothering with?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Do you think that model is likely to verify at that sort of range?  I appreciate it's an anomaly output(?); I just wondered whether the reliability towards February is going to so low that it isn't worth bothering with?

The CFS has produced some rather fanciful 'predictions' over the years. I'd rather take the human perspective for now; but, in all truth; who knows what February's going to be like? Not me! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Add to that its not the most reliable site for forecasts either. For me the next 10 days look a complicated picture with a number of scenarios on the table all with an equal chance of verifying.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Don't you just love the cloud cuckooness of FI  :D

30th November.

post-6879-0-64884000-1447705024_thumb.pn

post-6879-0-63461300-1447705043_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

Well it wasn't long ago when charts like these from the Ecm 12z op seemed impossible to achieve this month with no sign of a polar maritime incursion let alone an Arctic Blast but here it is and this looks great for coldies next weekend with 522 dam line digging well south. Some of us will have snow showers but even for those who miss out, it's going to feel like winter has arrived over a week early with widespread frosts and I can't wait! :)

But we did see a brief polar maritime incursion just on Friday especially further North with wintriness even reported to quite low levels across Scotland but this will be the first Arctic blast of the season. 

One positive thing any cold blast will do is too cool the SST's down because I would not be surprised if they are above average at the moment. The detail still looks rather sketchy too me but the main emphasis does seem to be, an ridge into Greenland from quite an unusual starting point and a trigger low to help bring down the colder air from higher latitudes so some sort of cold weather will happen but whether it be a full on blast or something a bit more watered down is still very much debatable. 

Someone mentioned the ECM looks dry apart from Northern Scotland but too me, with fairly cold air, low thicknesses then I just can't see how it looks 'dry'. Should be some decent convective weather in eastern areas on that run and there should be some wintriness within those showers also, 

• Like 4

Posted

I would like to ask a question for those who are a lot more in the know than my humble self.

Is any body able to define as a rough percentage the overall success of the different model outputs.

You do have verification statistics showing the accuracy of the outputs. This link should help:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/12Z/

Posted

The ecm anomaly also has the upper trough moving sufficiently east to cut off the cold northerly flow by Tuesday but subsequently treat the mid Atlantic HP a tad differently perhaps allowing a colder NW airstream into the UK. In the ext period the low Canada is developed with a trough Greenland SE to north of the UK giving a westerly zonal flow.

Just seen tonight's NOAA which is tending towards the ecm.

post-12275-0-95475600-1447706678_thumb.p

post-12275-0-36185800-1447707153_thumb.g

post-12275-0-93870100-1447707160_thumb.g

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM ensembles this evening highlight the ongoing uncertainty - 6 clusters by day 5.

In to the day 10-15 range the ensemble means once again likely to be rather unhelpful with something of a split. The majority of members look to place heights either over or to the NE of the UK, but the spread is rather large. A smaller minority want to re-introduce a more mobile westerly regime, but for now that looks to be the minority solution.

But given the uncertainty at shorter range it's worth taking anything beyond the end of this working week with a huge dollop of gritting salt...

What looks far more certain is a rather potentially disruptive afternoon/evening across parts of England and Wales:

ukgust.pngukgust.png

SK

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All...After a potent shot of Artic air during the weekend ,we return to the Atlantic, as per the charts below! Gfs  shows the Atlantic in full fury, ecm is really strangely quiet although the same outcome,,,,, :)

post-6830-0-60116700-1447708061_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-78222700-1447708169_thumb.pn

Posted

Any updates about tomorrow's severe gales?

The Midlands (well, around here) rarely get winds of 60mph, so it could cause a huge amount of damage and chaos.

We're all understandably looking towards the weekend, but there's something extreme just 24 hours away?

A couple of small  fast moving LP's crossing the UK,one tomorrow affecting the areas you mention,and another on Wednesday which looks to give similar strength winds but this time a bit further north.

Tuesday..post-2839-0-25155600-1447709364_thumb.gi  Wednesday..post-2839-0-45545200-1447709374_thumb.gi

Anomaly charts in good agreement at around the day 10 mark,but detail for the UK very elusive,although unlikely to be a mild setup.

post-2839-0-43775300-1447709354_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Evening All...After a potent shot of Artic air during the weekend ,we return to the Atlantic, as per the charts below! Gfs  shows the Atlantic in full fury, ecm is really strangely quiet although the same outcome,,,,, :)

I'd love to know how simultaneously the GFS can depict the Atlantic in "full fury" and the ECM shows it "strangely quiet", yet both produce "the same outcome"?

• Like 6

Posted

When you see high pressure stretching from Greenland to Africa in mid November it really is something!!

Fantastic charts for coldies at the moment and far from the drivel served up last year.

The 18z upgrades the cold a nudge. It really will feel bitter by Saturday

• Like 7

Posted

That's a very cold day for Saturday - and one tasty low rolling down the North Sea hot on its heels. There will be many white scenes during the day and following evening, I would expect. And getting closer to T0 all the time. Looks like ECM wasn't over-amplifying a few days ago after all...

gfsnh-1-114.png?18

gfsnh-0-120.png?18

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The most pleasing thing so far on the 18z is the fact that the Siberian High reverts to being aligned more favourably again

gfsnh-0-162.png?18

Posted

That's a very cold day for Saturday - and one tasty low rolling down the North Sea hot on its heels. There will be many white scenes during the day and following evening, I would expect. And getting closer to T0 all the time. Looks like ECM wasn't over-amplifying a few days ago after all...

gfsnh-1-114.png?18

gfsnh-0-120.png?18

Polar low? :)

• Like 2