Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

#NameOurStorms: is it a good idea?

Thunderbolt_

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The express has already started talking about Storm Brian for Monday...

Meteorologists fear an extremely violent post-tropical cyclone - Storm Brian - will form and head straight for the UK. 

The current projected path of Storm Brian - as it will be called if it severely threatens the UK - shows it making landfall next Monday, with the churning vortex smashing first into Ireland, then mainland Britain. 

Britons should brace themselves for “a bang” according to experts who warn the nation faces “significant” disruption.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/858639/Storm-Brian-path-update-latest-models-Met-Office-weather-warning-hurricane-forecast-track

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

One change I would make, is that a storm retains the same name if it was a Tropical Storm.

It is usual, that ex-hurricaneTSname does keep its name, if it reaches UK shores. So if the end of the weekend low was just remnants of Maria, it would be labelled ex-Maria. However, there is Lee in the mix too. the Express jumping the gun, again, is not helpful

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Nathan Rao... What a surprise!! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Nathan Rao... What a surprise!! :rofl:

We ought to name a storm after him - Storm Pillock?:D

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Met Office has included ex-hurricane Ophelia in its Storm centre list between StormAileen and Brian. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/uk-storm-centre 

Ophelia being a named hurricane from the US NHC list, which was always the procedure to keep tropical names.

As yet Brian HAS NOT been named and official naming will come from @MetEireann or @Metoffice 

stormnames1718.png

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The Daily Express have named storm Brian for the end of the week the Met in the UK and Ireland haven't named it yet

Didn't they name storm Brian a few weeks ago with ex-Irma/Lee?

At least they have done enough 'research' to not name it Caroline...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

Just to add a Brexit twist to all this . I could affect SE Britain. Going well, Aileen, Ophelia, Brian, Caroline , Ana

I think they might stick to naming it all lows themselves , if SE gets an AMBER because of this one. Will be crazy otherwise. Hurricanes are different. Apparently Germany named Caroline - Walter.

First storm "ANA" named by European group= Spain/France/Portugal AEMET, MeteoFrance & IPMA - shown on Monday 11th across Biscay into France

0812ana.png

Edited by Jo Farrow
bit more text

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The problem with named storms is that they are now so common most people just go it's bad weather then, and the effect when we have a severe storm is people don't listen. We need to radically reduce the number of storms we name.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

The problem with named storms is that they are now so common most people just go it's bad weather then, and the effect when we have a severe storm is people don't listen. We need to radically reduce the number of storms we name.

Are they that common? We've only got to C and we're into December! If we radically reduce from 3 then we may as well not bother.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Are they that common? We've only got to C and we're into December! If we radically reduce from 3 then we may as well not bother.

It starts in September. There was eleven last year. That's a named storm a month.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

It starts in September. There was eleven last year. That's a named storm a month.

I don't think that's particularly excessive myself.

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

I don't think that's particularly excessive myself.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If somethings happen on average once a month; it's not extreme weather, it's just weather. Storm naming should only be for extreme weather.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
15 minutes ago, Surrey said:

From Liam I say that's a pretty bold thing to say given we still have uncertainty in track and intensity, met Office still going for 60mph inland maybe even 70mph

I think he means that tonights system has being named. Therefore on Thursday we'll have Storm 'G'.

• Like 1

Posted

This whole thing needs to be done away with, it's fast becoming a farce. Storms can't be named until a day or two out so the awareness aspect doesn't really work, it's not like hurricanes which are named well in advance. 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
57 minutes ago, Surrey said:

From Liam I say that's a pretty bold thing to say given we still have uncertainty in track and intensity, met Office still going for 60mph inland maybe even 70mph

The naming of this system is not Wednesday night's potential storm,it's a squeeze in the isobars over Ireland this evening.

Posted
12 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

The naming of this system is not Wednesday night's potential storm,it's a squeeze in the isobars over Ireland this evening.

and is probably adding to the UK MOs frustration about trying to highlight the potential Windstorm due Weds night, yet today's weather has now been named. The naming of storms can be for rain or snow, not just winds now. MO have just issued a video chat with chief forecaster looking at Weds night low way off in the Atlantic, which if you are dealing with several inches of snow at the mo, you won't be that bothered about. Collaborations can be tricky #NameourStorms

• Like 1

Posted

It doesn't need to be done away with but i don't think the naming of the storms can wait until the warnings get to Amber (just my own personal opinion.)

Edited by Weather26