Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Aercus Instruments WeatherRanger - any good?

Pixel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Oh wow - yippee - it's working !!!!

I changed the dates and the firmware number up by one digit and got the update the firmware

THANKS GUYS couldn't have done this without you - brilliant

now gonna try that fancy screen (-:

Take a picture of your console after you've done it. I'm not sure if Brian has done any updates to it, as he removed the link for quite a while.

Glad it's working now.  yes.gif 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Take a picture of your console after you've done it. I'm not sure if Brian has done any updates to it, as he removed the link for quite a while.

Glad it's working now.  yes.gif 

(-: Will take a pic when it's done... I'm taking a rest after all this hassle... just going to see if the upload to Wunderground works first..

Note to self and others; don't update firmware without saving your old firmware first !!  At present v2.2.9 will think you are in America on a different frequency and everything!  But if you can't resist, edit the version number of the firmware to trick your machine into thinking the firmware is new 

Posted

As I had feared, the upload to wunderground is failing now )-:  - Maybe my unit has inherited some of the American options after the firmware change?

Unit is sending to: www.wunderground.com

In the menu this is what I see:

Web: www.***.com

Station ID: IWELWYN8

Password; (my password)

Server: (this field is blank)

server type: PHP - (options are; ASP, JSP)

Upload type; Default - (option is customize)

Server port: 80

Time is GMT (Coordinated Universal time)

Server: time.nist.gov

Did I miss something?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Pixel said:

As I had feared, the upload to wunderground is failing now )-:  - Maybe my unit has inherited some of the American options after the firmware change?

Unit is sending to: www.wunderground.com

In the menu this is what I see:

Web: www.***.com

Station ID: IWELWYN8

Password; (my password)

Server: (this field is blank)

server type: PHP - (options are; ASP, JSP)

Upload type; Default - (option is customize)

Server port: 80

Time is GMT (Coordinated Universal time)

Server: time.nist.gov

Did I miss something?

Is the Wunderground symbol showing next to the WiFi bars on the console?

I just noticed: Server: (this field is blank)

That should be: Server=rtupdate.wunderground.com

I should point out, that's what should be in the .ini file. But, the server shouldn't be blank on the console

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Is the Wunderground symbol showing next to the WiFi bars on the console?

I just noticed: Server: (this field is blank)

That should be: Server=rtupdate.wunderground.com

I should point out, that's what should be in the .ini file. But, the server shouldn't be blank on the console

Only WiFi symbols showing not wunderground

I filled in the Server field as you suggested, Changed to GMT - london, lisbon etc - ticked the update via 'time.nist.gov'

Still no connection to Wunderground station YET I am able to use EasyweatherIP software on my mac and adjust/see the weather station via wireless no probs

I would just like to find a way to load the original 2.2.7 firmware back (if I could find it somewhere or even the 2.2.5) but you can't load any firmware on the station unless you increment the firmware version within 'ini' files and i'm guessing that's why wunderground doesn't want anything to do with this station now that I've messed with it !

Works great, signal gets through four walls from the outside unit! - indoor sensor is good too and the station picks up all the wifi networks round here. Very pretty too -  but can't talk to wunderground )-:

Edited by Pixel

Posted
5 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Only WiFi symbols showing not wunderground

I filled in the Server field as you suggested, Changed to GMT - london, lisbon etc - ticked the update via 'time.nist.gov'

Still no connection to Wunderground station YET I am able to use EasyweatherIP software on my mac and adjust/see the weather station via wireless no probs

I would just like to find a way to load the original 2.2.7 firmware back (if I could find it somewhere or even the 2.2.5) but you can't load any firmware on the station unless you increment the firmware version and i'm guessing that's why wunderground doesn't want anything to do with this station now that I've messed with it !

Works great, signal gets through four walls from the outside unit! - indoor sensor is good too and the station picks up all the wifi networks round here. Very pretty too -  but can't talk to wunderground )-:

Can you upload main.ini Server.ini and update.ini

The exact files you put on your SD card to flash the console with. PM me the links. I'll take a look.

It's something very simple that you've missed, as everything else is working. I'm confident we'll get it fixed. :)

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Can you upload main.ini Server.ini and update.ini

Thanks for the offer but I've only just deleted everything related to the firmware i got from Ambient weather's wiki page from my system and uploaded the V2.2.2 firmware Maplin emailed me (changed the sequence to 2.3.0! of course ) and everything works fine inc the wunderground but the EasyweatherIP software wont now, cos it's not supported

but at least I got my weather station back on line (-:  https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWELWYN8

I'll PM you..

....but for others sake... don't upload what seems to be the latest Firmaware for your weather station unless you know what you are doing - which of course I don't (-:

Posted

http://www.warehamwx.com/downloads/

Make sure you format your SD card. Plonk the 'Update Easyweather' folder on the card, put it in the station, turn the station off for 10 seconds, then back on.

I'm sure you know all this though. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Quick update... I have today received a firmware file from Henry foshk.com (fineoffset) for my Maplin N23DQ weatherstation.

The firmware version is: 

Title=HP2000
Version=2.2.9

etc etc

... and it works!! (-:  & also the 'EasyweatherIP' software works to on my iMac over wifi.  Everything looks to be the same as Mapantz's above so all good there. Onwards and upwards...

Note to anyone... don't forget to edit the 'main' and 'update' ini files ( in any text editor) to increment the firmware version UP, if you start messing with lots of firmware files.  I'm now on 2.3.3 !  even though I'm actually using 2.2.9 

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Quick update... I have today received a firmware file from Henry foshk.com (fineoffset) for my Maplin N23DQ weatherstation.

The firmware version is: 

Title=HP2000
Version=2.2.9

etc etc

... and it works!! (-:  & also the 'EasyweatherIP' software works to on my iMac over wifi.  Everything looks to be the same as Mapantz's above so all good there. Onwards and upwards...

Note to anyone... don't forget to edit the 'main' and 'update' ini files ( in any text editor) to increment the firmware version UP, if you start messing with lots of firmware files.  I'm now on 2.3.3 !  even though I'm actually using 2.2.9 

I'm on 3.0.0 now.   sarcastic.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 2/26/2016 at 9:41 PM, Mapantz said:

I'm on 3.0.0 now.   sarcastic.gif

oooh i didn't know that existed... so I'll 'rest' on my newly created 2.3.4 (aka 2.2.9 Firmware emailed to me from Fineoffset)   :yahoo:

here's the new installed display on my bargain Maplin N23DQ:Maplin N23DQ SolarWifi WStation edit.JPG 

details here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWELWYN8

.. the next step is manipulating web templates via this forum:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=27528.50 to make a weather webpage - oh another hobby added to the list:drunk-emoji:

Edited by Pixel
spwellin etc
  • Like 1

Posted
On 15/03/2016 at 2:12 AM, Pixel said:

oooh i didn't know that existed... so I'll 'rest' on my newly created 2.3.4 (aka 2.2.9 Firmware emailed to me from Fineoffset)   :yahoo:

here's the new installed display on my bargain Maplin N23DQ:Maplin N23DQ SolarWifi WStation edit.JPG 

details here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWELWYN8

.. the next step is manipulating web templates via this forum:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=27528.50 to make a weather webpage - oh another hobby added to the list:drunk-emoji:

Good work!

I've departed of mine now.. I bit the bullet and purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2! I always refused to get one because the prices over here are not justified. However, I managed to find a German company selling them £150 cheaper than the UK. The added bonus is that it came with the newer anemometer, and the newer rain funnel with debris screen and bird spikes. I've also just purchased the solar radiation sensor for it- from the states. Again, the price over here was £214.99 - I got it for £120 including shipping, and it should be here next week. I can't for the life of me, understand why the Davis kit is so expensive over here. Doing the math, I've managed to get the newer VP2 and solar sensor for less money than the standard VP2 with no extra sensors sold over here.

I'm still using the homeweather template, its modified to read the realtime text file generated by Cumulus MX (which uploads every 5 seconds) - the template now updates my data every 6 seconds.

If you need any help with getting your data uploading to your web server, don't hesitate in asking. :)

Posted
7 hours ago, Mapantz said:

^^^

....I've departed of mine now.. I bit the bullet and purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2!...

You've got a good deal there.. worth the wait... maybe someone would like to buy your previous station

I'm very happy with my WS1001 clone from Maplins for the time being, maybe in the next 5 years I'll move up a notch or two :)  My better half asked me to change the Maplin display back to what it was before I posted above as she couldn't see it very well in the kitchen. It looks nice close up but not so good from a distance... but the modification was fun to try.

Brian @ wxforum frm Turkey had sent me the HomeWeather template files - very helpful - More info here : http://www.idesign34.com/homepws/homeweather.html#features  for anyone else who'd like to investigate.

It's working on my website now, after some tinkering: Welwyn Weather on the web

Posted
42 minutes ago, Pixel said:

You've got a good deal there.. worth the wait... maybe someone would like to buy your previous station

I'm very happy with my WS1001 clone from Maplins for the time being, maybe in the next 5 years I'll move up a notch or two :)  My better half asked me to change the Maplin display back to what it was before I posted above as she couldn't see it very well in the kitchen. It looks nice close up but not so good from a distance... but the modification was fun to try.

Brian @ wxforum frm Turkey had sent me the HomeWeather template files - very helpful - More info here : http://www.idesign34.com/homepws/homeweather.html#features  for anyone else who'd like to investigate.

It's working on my website now, after some tinkering: Welwyn Weather on the web

Ahh excellent - I see you are running the slightly newer template? I was helping Brian to find a fix for the original barometer tile, as it rendered slightly odd on 10.1" tablets. I couldn't work it out, so it looks like Brian has completely redesigned it?! I just opened your page up on my tablet, and it renders perfectly now. :)

Here's the previous version: http://www.warehamwx.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I've just got one of these weather stations - and early indications are I'm very pleased.

I'm also now up and running on Wunderground  IWESTONS16.

One question regarding Wunderground, I notice the table/graph section records data in 5min intervals, can that be reduced.

Posted
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

I've just got one of these weather stations - and early indications are I'm very pleased.

I'm also now up and running on Wunderground  IWESTONS16.

One question regarding Wunderground, I notice the table/graph section records data in 5min intervals, can that be reduced.

That's the minimum interval  unfortunately. I don't know if this will change or not- I say this because IBM  have bought Wunderground , and they are migrating data to new servers at the moment. You may see data being missed for 10 minutes here and there, mine has been doing it intermittently over the past week or so.
You can view rapidfire which shows updates every 16 seconds, but data is minimal.
The other alternative is to get some cheap hosting, and request the Homeweather template that me and @Pixel are using. You will have to edit the server.ini that the console uses, to send the data to your hosting (as well as Wunderground) but you'll get 16 second updates on it. I was using it when I had my WS-1001 - It works a treat! Pixel's station: http://www.creativeempathy.com/pws/ws1001.php

There's instructions on how to do it, and the author of the template- Brian, will help you if you fancy going down that route?! :) 

• Like 1

Posted

May do, but will leave it for a bit.

There is a summary table above the graphs which show highs and lows, and there is high wind reading in that which I guess is taken from the station reporting updates back to underground every 14 seconds because I can't see that gust or wind in the graph!

Did you have to clean the rain gauge very often, I ask because I've stuck my station on a 12' pole which makes it to high for me to clean.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
6 minutes ago, SteveB said:

May do, but will leave it for a bit.

There is a summary table above the graphs which show highs and lows, and there is high wind reading in that which I guess is taken from the station reporting updates back to underground every 14 seconds because I can't see that gust or wind in the graph!

Did you have to clean the rain gauge very often, I ask because I've stuck my station on a 12' pole which makes it to high for me to clean.

The high gust/high wind speed in the table quite often don't show on the graph, it's just the way Wunderground do things I guess?! The API always showed my correct high wind/gust speeds when I called it back, and that matched the data on my console.

I often have a problem with birds crapping in the rain gauge, and mine was up at 5m- pain in the weeble! In the end, I bought a non-rusting  sink sieve, and adapted it to fit in the rain bucket.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The high gust/high wind speed in the table quite often don't show on the graph, it's just the way Wunderground do things I guess?! The API always showed my correct high wind/gust speeds when I called it back, and that matched the data on my console.

I often have a problem with birds crapping in the rain gauge, and mine was up at 5m- pain in the weeble! In the end, I bought a non-rusting  sink sieve, and adapted it to fit in the rain bucket.

I think I'll have a problem with bird crap and spiders too. I might lower the height a little so I can reach it via a step ladder, rather than keep having to lower it down to clean it.

I notice in the manual it specifies a 8mm cotton bud to clean it, or taking it apart to clear spider webs out.

I might grease my poll:D and see if that prevents spiders crawling up it

Posted

I've decided to only use Wunderground to display my readings on the web from now on. The id is IWELWYN8

Uploading data to my server/website provider seemed like too much effort and tbh I'm quite happy how Wunderground displays the data from my weatherstation.

The WS1001 (aka Maplin N23DQ) is performing great, I highly recommend it.

Edited by Pixel
clarification

Posted

I've got myself a microsd card coming so I can upload my data to excel, other than that, I'm just sticking to underground too.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 5 February 2016 at 4:51 PM, Mapantz said:

Right, after a lot of faffing, i've figured out how to obtain 16 second updates from the Ws-1001 and send them anywhere you like, ie; your own web server.
It is complicated and involves spending £30 on a TP LINK MR3020 portable wireless router. 
It needs to connect to the PC/Laptop first, then access it the same way you would if you were changing settings on your normal router- through the web browser. Then you have to upgrade the firmware to the freely available OpenWrt (not for the faint hearted, although straight forward) The new, cheap router, essentially becomes an expensive router. It then has to be configured to your own connection, which is straight forward. The weather station will then have to connect to this new router, instead of your normal one, and by doing that, you can capture the updateweatherstation.php that the station sends to Wunderground. It can still be sent there, and it can also be sent to multiple other locations, ie; my web server. All I have to do now is, get my template to read from that file every 16 seconds. The beauty is, nothing on the station is affected, the data still goes to Wunderground for logging purposes. :)

I know lots of people who wanted this kind of option, and unfortunately they made a mistake- they spent too much money!

They've purchased this for 140 Euro's - http://www.weerstationkopen.nl/meteobridge/

And it's exactly the same as this for £25 -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK-TL-MR3020-Portable-3G-4G-Wireless-N-Router-150-Mbps-Travel-Router-AP-/281656145746?hash=item419403b752:g:FNoAAOSwk5FU0mNm

The difference being, I've flashed exactly the same firmware on the device I bought- bargain!

hi thanks to patrick for pointing me here.

I've now completely re-wrote the template and added newer additional features to use more data sent from a WS1001 ,it actually sends more than you might think , by default it only sends data based on WU upload protocol,  also now have a dedicated page to show how to get these WS1001 clones to send data . http://www.idesign34.com/homepws/ws1001.php ,sometime in the next few months i will release another version for the ip-observer range when i return to istanbul(home) to install it. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Posted
41 minutes ago, Carlos Jorge Ferreira said:

Hello,

I'm having a problem. "My" PWS ICORKRIN2 (WS-1000) (N23DQ) is not uploading info to Wunderground (Ambient Weather WS-1000 (Wireless))

Does an encrypted WiFi allow the information to be shared? 

Regards,

Carlos

Have a read here, Carlos: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28470.0