Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Morning all! What started off as a very gloomy morning is now starting to brighten up! Didn't think I would be seeing the sunshine for a few days following my post from yesterday evening. 9 degrees as well and rising! Better make the most of it before the rain arrives! I was checking out the charts this morning and thought this was quite an interesting one to post for anybody in the early phases of learning  "simple" meteorology.....If there are any on this thread? However, in the hope of helping others to learn by offering my very simple and limited knowledge see image below....

56c8266dd4d19_2016-02-2008.39.30.thumb.p

Shows clearly the rain band, that is about to affect our small Island, forming quite clearly between the Low Pressure system to the North (cold air) and High Pressure system to the South (warm air). It's also huge and not very wide due to being squeezed between the 2 air masses, spanning pretty much from SE of New York all the way to the UK....That's a direct hit if ever you saw one! Have a lovely weekend all! :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

There'll probably be upgrades again this evening :drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
2 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Morning all! What started off as a very gloomy morning is now starting to brighten up! Didn't think I would be seeing the sunshine for a few days following my post from yesterday evening. 9 degrees as well and rising! Better make the most of it before the rain arrives! I was checking out the charts this morning and thought this was quite an interesting one to post for anybody in the early phases of learning  "simple" meteorology.....If there are any on this thread? However, in the hope of helping others to learn by offering my very simple and limited knowledge see image below....

Shows clearly the rain band, that is about to affect our small Island, forming quite clearly between the Low Pressure system to the North (cold air) and High Pressure system to the South (warm air). It's also huge and not very wide due to being squeezed between the 2 air masses, spanning pretty much from SE of New York all the way to the UK....That's a direct hit if ever you saw one! Have a lovely weekend all! :D

Morning Snoopie42. I like that chart. It is indeed one heck of a wiggly waggly weather front (www - latest terminology!). I checked out the MetOff Fax chart and it shows it to be a cold/warm/cold/warm/cold/warm front!! :laugh:

56c82cd0e5d03_MetOffFaxChartSat20Feb06.0

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Morning Snoopie42. I like that chart. It is indeed one heck of a wiggly waggly weather front (www - latest terminology!). I checked out the MetOff Fax chart and it shows it to be a cold/warm/cold/warm/cold/warm front!! :laugh:

56c82cd0e5d03_MetOffFaxChartSat20Feb06.0

Morning @Blessed Weather LOL.... Great chart! A very confused weather system....a Bi - Polar weather front, now that's a first and also one for www. Weather terminology! Poor thing......The weather fronts are now getting depressed that they can't produce snow! LOL :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted

Fergieweather: Snow signal Tues (as alluded to by Nick and others) is now stronger in 00z EC through M4 corridor. I've yet to see UKMO-GM fields. 

intéressant...

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Fergieweather: Snow signal Tues (as alluded to by Nick and others) is now stronger in 00z EC through M4 corridor. I've yet to see UKMO-GM fields. 

intéressant...

Yes @Daniel* i was juts looking at that.....taking the Arpege model it seems very marginal, as usual! 

T850's not brilliant, but just might do ...............Dew points are positive........

arpegeuk-16-78-0.thumb.png.aa054242d1ab8                      arpegeuk-18-78-0.thumb.png.9350fb197154f

Obviously precipitation intensity could help these to drop further during the event?

arpegeuk-1-77-0.thumb.png.b23fa4a091cc18  arpegeuk-1-79-0.thumb.png.7c1f5f5e5358ba

However, it is showing a risk through the M4 corridor on Tuesday morning....its possible that the models that @fergieweather has the privelige of seeing are predicting a less marginal event?......Plenty of runs between now and Tuesday morning for upgrades / downgrades, therefore, it will be interesting to see how this unfolds? Being a complete novice, i do appreciate the insight that Ian provides and think that Netweather are priveliged to have him posting as often as he does, long may it continue! :good: Have a good day! :D

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Not again..

Oh god here we go.. All aboard the snow chasing roller-coaster 

You know it @Surrey! Think i may steer clear of the thread on Monday night after last week's shenanigans....watch with interest from a distance! LOL! :nea:

• Like 1

Posted

The relevant charts for Tuesday AM a general swathe of snow I hope affecting London, northern Home Counties / N/NW Kent. Mild sector being squeezed out with -5C isotherm tucking into our region with moderate precipitation about. The source of the northerly flow is very cold direct from the pole, at this moment in time I'm only expect accumulations on chilterns ect. 

image.thumb.png.211a95e376f6fa45dadbd8e2image.thumb.png.0db5c2edaf74386bdf12dd17

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms
6 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

You know it @Surrey! Think i may steer clear of the thread on Monday night after last week's shenanigans....watch with interest from a distance! LOL! :nea:

I just went into the model room and saw people going on about great charts on March 1st !!  8- 10 days ahead again, when will they learn, haha

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

@Snoopie42 I'm thinking rain to snow. :) 

image.png

@Daniel* from latest charts, think you are right to assume that......ah no, not again.....let's hope for upgrades or just plain old rain....not sure many can take another marginal event LOL! Whatever happens we will watch with interest as we always do......We are all mad aren't we? :wallbash::nea::cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Snoopie42 said:

Also known as an atmospheric river. Hopefully no where near as potent as the one that flooded the Northwest in December. Such a shame this is hitting the same area again. At least it's south of Cumbria this time, hitting Wales and lower Northwest England, which must be a relief to some.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted

Interesting post in the MOD thread from Fergieweather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
6 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Interesting post in the MOD thread from Fergieweather.

Yes. I suspect from a law of averages the cold may still make a late appearance yet and I think, dare I say it we in the south east could still see snow before March is out 

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Also known as an atmospheric river. Hopefully no where near as potent as the one that flooded the Northwest in December. Such a shame this is hitting the same area again.

Hi @alexisj9 An "Atmospheric River", now thats one for www. Weather terminology , what do you think @Blessed Weather? Sounds rather romantic :give_rose:, however, I'm not sure our friends in the NW will think so!? :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
59 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

@Snoopie42 I'm thinking rain to snow. :)

image.png

I'm thinking rain to cold rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Snoopie42 said:

Hi @alexisj9 An "Atmospheric River", now thats one for www. Weather terminology , what do you think @Blessed Weather? Sounds rather romantic :give_rose:, however, I'm not sure our friends in the NW will think so!? :angry:

Lol! Not a term I've come across before. Thanks Alexisj9. Now if only we could get an "atmospheric snow conveyor" on a bitterly cold Easterly I'd be over the moon! :good:

Watching the rainfall radar sequence this lunchtime certainly shows what happens to locations at the end of the "river". The hills of Wales are on the receiving end, but I notice that the Belgium and Netherlands coastal areas are also getting a soaking. The rain, which is light and patchy over our Region, really peps up as it crosses the Channel & North Sea.

56c8718e6aa54_RadarSat20Feb13.15.thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Dreich, very mild under a thick layer of impenetrable cloud, currently sitting comfortably at 12C although Greenland is penetrable on the GFS with ridging blasting in :shok:

image.thumb.png.583170468490801c4dc11ec7

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

Looking at the latest posts in the mdt, seems everywhere is going to get snow apart from East Anglia!!! really am getting sick of living here with regards winter!! [obviously things can and will change over the next week, just so frustrating]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, TheBigFreeze said:

Looking at the latest posts in the mdt, seems everywhere is going to get snow apart from East Anglia!!! really am getting sick of living here with regards winter!! [obviously things can and will change over the next week, just so frustrating]

Wouldn't worry It's to far away to be accurate . Things can and will change. For the better ?. Maybe?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, TheBigFreeze said:

Wouldn't worry about it. I think this is the 5th time the models have been showing snow this autumn.......I mean winter and so far I've had 5 snow flakes and three of those melted before they hit the ground.:blink2: Don't trust strangers or models bearing gifts :nonono:. I think the MOD thread will be down to three post a week if this one goes tights up too.:rofl::ninja::reindeer-emoji::drunk-emoji: Enjoy the rain this week folks.:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Wouldn't worry It's to far away to be accurate . Things can and will change. For the better ?. Maybe?

I live within the Norfolk [Bermuda" weather triangle...I've got no hope lol