Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May 2016 C.E.T. forecasts

Posted

May is my favourite month of the year - full of expectation for the summer ahead.. always a positive month in this respect. It can deliver superb early summer warmth, the sun by the end of the month has the same strength as it does in mid July, temps into the mid 20's can easily be achieved under clear skies and abundant sunshine and light winds - high pressure overhead by May is conducive to homegrown warmth with the land quickly heating up in the strong sun. Conversely it can be a frustrating month for those wanting early summer heat, SST values remain low, and an airstream from between north and east can still be very chilly with low cloud and temps struggling to make double figures - May 96 being a good example. Frosts can easily occur still under clear skies especially in the north.

Recent May's have been dissapointing often wet, cloudy and cool. Indeed northerly and easterly airstreams reach their yearly maxim in May, its not a month renowned for balmy southerly and southwesterly dominated airstreams (always pleasing to see the atlantic coming unstuck I say..), cyclonic slow moving low pressure systems can be the order of the day.

What do I expect from this May, unfortunately not much in the way of lengthy settled conditions. Often changeable with winds predominantly from a west-north quadrant, so quite cool, lets say 10.9 degrees, very similiar to last year. Perhaps a shot at something warm and dry and sunny in the second half, but not expecting anything long lasting. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

11.5c for me please.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, DAVID SNOW said:

Craig, with respect, but why do you bother  entering the CET competition every month?

Because it is the only thing I feel comfortable in joining in with on netweather these days.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

Because it is the only thing I feel comfortable in joining in with on netweather these days.

That's a shame craig, it really is.

Do you honestly think that every month will break the all time mild, warm or hottest records though?

Genuine question.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

11.2C  Cheers :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

11.5c please

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i think may is going to be a mix month. im going for. 10.5c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
15 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

That's a shame craig, it really is.

Do you honestly think that every month will break the all time mild, warm or hottest records though?

Genuine question.:)

Yes I do think that any month now has the chance of being the warmest on record.  All of our airmass source regions, especially the poles are exceptionally warm as is our local climate in the UK and CET zone.

Apart from 2010 no year after 1987 has failed to produce at least 1 month in the joint top 20 warmest on record and the return period between each new warm record is now no more than 4 years.  In contrast record cold months last occurred in February 1947 although September 1952, July 1954, August 1956, March 1962, January 1963, July 1965, June 1972, December 1981, February 1986, April 1986, August 1986, May 1996, December 2010 and March 2013 nearly but failed to become cold records.  After 1996 even joint top 20 coldest on record months have become almost absent apart from July 2007, December 2010, July 2011, April 2012, June 2012, March 2013, May 2013, June 2013, August 2014 and September 2015.

Whilst at first glance it looks like we have had a lot of cold exceptions, especially post 2009, it must be remembered that most of those exceptions have occurred in the April through September period.  During this time the anomaly gap between the coldest groups for these months and any 30 year average is considerably less than that of equivalent cold groups for the October through March period.  This means that a joint top 20 cold month from the April through September period is not as impressive as a joint top 20 cold month from the October through March period.

I'm sure the facts and stats posted by Born From The Void in recent CET threads, especially December 2015, will speak for themselves.  BFTV is the new Stratos Ferric.

Edited by Lettucing Gutted

Posted

12.0 seems good to me. A battle between Atlantic troughing and occasional European influence coming up, so a bit up and down. Possibility of pressure rising mid-month - in summary for the mornth a little better than the recent average seems a good punt right now

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted

(edit) It now looks like something close to 12.7, both night and day from the latest GFS run, could be annoyingly overcast and drizzly at times, but warmish.

I hope Craig scores another big hit in July or August, don't you?

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think I will up my guess to 11.3c please. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The 06z GFS would have the CET at about 1C below the 81-10 average by the end of the first week. 

So a guess of 11.2C for me, thanks.