Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Dale Hay said:

21:15 Outside turned out like a monsoon. The cat's pretty much crapped themselves at the downpour. Haha.

Yeah, drop 1mm of a very short period. The worst of it seems to be In the channel though.

Nothing electrical yet, but nice to get a bit of rain.

Posted

Well, strange storm that we had in Leicester.... Very, very loud, bangy, bang, bangy, house shaking type thunder.. (That's its technical term) not creamy, rolling, pile of bricks falling over type thunder.. Even the thunder from bolts that were under 1 to 2 seconds from their associated lightning strike!! No grouping together either, if you know what I mean.. and biblical rain, flooded my kitchen twice, coming under the kitchen door, even though it has a step!

All died away now, and stomach has calmed down as well..

The second screen grab has the close strikes on it.... Don't know how to delete the first one!!Screenshot_2016-06-10-16-54-05.png

Screenshot_2016-06-10-17-27-34.png

Edited by Speedway Slider
Wanted to delete item, didnt let me....

Posted
7 minutes ago, dragon falls said:

Gone dark here dark clouds gone over see the mass of red over Weston on the radar 

bit monsoony up here right now but no spark either awwwwwwwww

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
6 minutes ago, dragon falls said:

Showing rain for here not that heavy yet no thunder think the energy has gone now might cool things down abit.

Funny you should say that, I remember a couple of years ago the whole of July was hot and humid even after a few thundery breakdowns. Storms and showers can freshen the air but sometimes they don't like when I went to Mexico last August, lots of storms, plenty of continuous humidy. I guess it all depends on how much moisture rich air masses keeps pumping into the region (or is generally like that).

Posted
8 minutes ago, dragon falls said:

Showing rain for here not that heavy yet no thunder think the energy has gone now might cool things down abit.

That's what I think.... All the pinks, purples, reds have just about gone from rainfall radar, and outside temp dropped from a barmy 22c at 4pm to a comfortable 17c in Leicester.... Humidity has also calmed down, and the rain has stopped for now....

Posted

Has anyone issued a convective outlook for tomorrow? I can't see that anyone has yet (convective weather, estofex and netweather). CAPE values spreading across England and Ireland with CZs in place. Slightly steeper lapse rates forecast also.

Edit: similar PWAT values of today in place also.

CAPE 11-06-16.pngSurface winds 11-06-16.pngPWAT 11-06-16.png

Edited by Greeny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Speedway Slider said:

Well, strange storm that we had in Leicester.... Very, very loud, bangy, bang, bangy, house shaking type thunder.. (That's its technical term) not creamy, rolling, pile of bricks falling over type thunder.. Even the thunder from bolts that were under 1 to 2 seconds from their associated lightning strike!! No grouping together either, if you know what I mean.. and biblical rain, flooded my kitchen twice, coming under the kitchen door, even though it has a step!

All died away now, and stomach has calmed down as well..

The second screen grab has the close strikes on it.... Don't know how to delete the first one!!Screenshot_2016-06-10-16-54-05.png

Screenshot_2016-06-10-17-27-34.png

Yep that's what some of the thunder was like here the other day, just went bang, and that's it.

Posted

In addition the convective precipitation chart. It seems that substantial cloud cover could be around within the risk areas. Perhaps embedded thunderstorms along CZ lines?

Convective Precip 11-06-16.pngpeterborough skew-t 11-06-16.jpg

Similar look for Peterborough at 12Z also. Indicating cloud cover throughout the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am locking this thread shortly and starting a new one for the coming weekend and beyond.