Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Defo Ac that I can make out, though really can't tell if there's some turrets or not.

I would be surprised only given that mid level instability is not due to increase (albeit only marginally) until much later.

• Like 1

Posted

Just seen that UKMO is going for risk of an isolated thundery shower across Kent and Sussex tonight :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

There was definitely some towering starting albeit flat, but I probably over did it saying it was fully Altocumulus Castellanus cloud, apologies.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is that neither Convective Weather or Estofex have issued a thunderstorm risk...

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just seen that UKMO is going for risk of an isolated thundery shower across Kent and Sussex tonight :cc_confused:

I was just looking at something similar myself- only a precip chart, so not to be taken too seriously.

Screenshot_2016-05-26-11-59-39.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Philip Avery certainly used the 'T' word on his forecast for the southwest a lot this morning, first possible batch early tomorrow morning, then further developments later in the day. Saturday also looked quite promising. He did however state a lot of cloud cover which as we know tends to hinder things. So let's see, but the potential is certainly there! Already feels like a different season out there toady compared to yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Philip Avery certainly used the 'T' word on his forecast for the southwest a lot this morning, first possible batch early tomorrow morning, then further developments later in the day. Saturday also looked quite promising. He did however state a lot of cloud cover which as we know tends to hinder things. So let's see, but the potential is certainly there! Already feels like a different season out there toady compared to yesterday.

When did you see that forecast, out of interest? The one on the website doesn't mention thunder until the afternoon, the first batch (affecting my area) are forecast as just showers. Interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, William Grimsley said:

When did you see that forecast, out of interest? The one on the website doesn't mention thunder until the afternoon, the first batch (affecting my area) are forecast as just showers. Interesting.

Within the last hour or so. Tbh, I'm not expecting thunder activity until later in the day anyway, but lightning symbols were very generously used for the morning too.

• Like 1

Posted

Um, ok! We have go in Brittany big style! Woooooooo!

@MP-R, just saw it. Looking very good for down here. Remember... "Must not get excited..."

Posted
Just now, Ben Sainsbury said:

Does anyone know of any free websites to access the NMM Model?

Meteociel.fr. :)

Posted

Genius! :D

No problem! Oh, and the Nest cam live stream is still going, looking south as normal ready for impact: https://video.nest.com/live/OIJL3I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I need a thunderstorm with a decent Arcus cloud, now I've taken delivery of a Sleipnir vaavud..

20160526_123129.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
59 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep was in our forecast this mid morning. Shower on the coast or flashes in the channel.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Does anyone know of any free websites to access the NMM Model?

There are actually loads of different flavours of nmm. The UK based one on netweather for instance will be different to the one on Meteociel. For instance ours has been tuned to better match the weather conditions which prevail here.

You can view the nw one freely here. 

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=netwx-sr;sess=

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Speaking of the netwx (nmm). It's quite keen to bring some showers/storms in overnight

prec06z.png

Time to get giddy William!

#altocumuluscastellanus #prayforwilliam

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Davethedog said:

Time to get giddy William!

#altocumuluscastellanus #prayforwilliam

Hehe!

NW France is going crazy now, with over 80 lightning strikes in the past 20 minutes! I know these are surface based thunderstorms but this could well help the thunderstorms arriving later on tonight. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I havent had a chance to look at all the posts but steering seems to be going along the lines of the 850mb wind direction which is a bonus for the UK. Hopefully it can tap into the CAPE overlap into the south/southwestern parts of the UK for later on.

viewimage-8.png

viewimage-9.png

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted

Elevated thundery downpour in the English Channel now, very surprised!

Anyone in Cornwall near St Austell watch out!

161 lightning strikes in the past 20 minutes now in NW France!

http://www.roscoff-tourisme.com/fr/outils/videos-webcams.php

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

looks all surface based at the mo....the tell tale sign is that lightning activity stops when they are exiting the north french coast........the isolated one heading for plymouth, I'm not so sure about....not electrified currently..............still, nice to see some interesting weather not a million miles away from southern england

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

looks all surface based at the mo....the tell tale sign is that lightning activity stops when they are exiting the north french coast........the isolated one heading for plymouth, I'm not so sure about....not electrified currently..............still, nice to see some interesting weather not a million miles away from southern england

We have seen a few lightning strikes from it so far!

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Hehe!

NW France is going crazy now, with over 80 strikes in the past 20 minutes! I know these are surface based thunderstorms but this could well help the thunderstorms arriving later on tonight. :)

80 strikes in 20 mins??? Pah! That's nothing old bean - remember this event from last year? This was kicking out about 80 strikes per minute :D 

IMG_0475.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

We have seen a few lightning strikes from it so far!

lol....as soon as I pressed the 'post' button, the realtime lightning map notified of a strike from that one....talk about lousy timing....lol

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Harry said:

80 strikes in 20 mins??? Pah! That's nothing old bean - remember this event from last year? This was kicking out about 80 strikes per minute :D 

IMG_0475.JPG

jeez, i remember that beast H.......it bulldozed right through dorset/hants and here.....a flash per second, I thought I was a rave party with those strobes...lol

• Like 2