Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Come Rain or Shine - Future Learn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Anyone signed up for the Future Learn Come Rain or Shine online course?

with Dr Pete Inness and Dr Sylvia Knight

Week 1 This week we’ll be looking at the UK’s characteristic weather patterns including the low pressure weather systems or depressions which bring us most of our rain, wind and storms.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/come-rain-or-shine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Info on #FLRainorShine course  (first question is where do you get your weather forecast from?)

We hope you’ll enjoy reading the articles, watching the various videos, animations and joining in with courses discussions and activities. After completing this 3 week course you will be able to:

Describe the weather features associated with depressions, anticyclones and the four main air masses which affect the UK.

Interpret a synoptic chart (also known as a weather chart) to provide details about wind speed and direction, precipitation and cloud cover.

Describe some of the physical processes which give rise to weather, such as convection, condensation, pressure gradients and the Coriolis force.

Investigate local weather conditions using readily available instruments.

Explain some of the processes which transfer energy through the Earth system, including the transient effects of volcanoes and changes in the Earth’s orbit, and how these processes relate to the Earth’s climate.

Apply your understanding of mid-latitude weather systems to the analysis of weather data and images.

Posted
On 6/13/2016 at 06:46, Jo Farrow said:

Anyone signed up for the Future Learn Come Rain or Shine online course?

with Dr Pete Inness and Dr Sylvia Knight

Week 1 This week we’ll be looking at the UK’s characteristic weather patterns including the low pressure weather systems or depressions which bring us most of our rain, wind and storms.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/come-rain-or-shine

I've just signed on.

Posted
14 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Is it too late? I would love to loin but can't get onto the main pc until later.

No I don't think so Dave I've just signed on. First day of the first week.

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal

any feedback please regarding this course?

Just signed up for this course starting on the 10th October 2016.

Many thanks in advance..

Posted

I completely missed the original post/link, otherwise I would have signed up.  However, in the interim I registered for the OU course, SG089 - Science: the weather. It is a short (6mth), non-credit bearing course which assumes no previous knowledge of the subject and is self-assessed.  I'm around half way through and enjoying the materials.  My only possible criticism is whether or not it is value for money, but I'll suspend judgement in that regard until I have completed the course. 

• 1 year later...