Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

As much as I love watching storms, don't envy anyone in a tent on Exmoor right now! Hopefully in a nice warm and dry pub or in the car, that's where I'd be ...

Same.Exmoor is very exposed.She's actually found an outdoor activity centre to shelter and has WiFi!

Posted

Just seen a lightening "flash" through the window, curtains open so quite noticeable but no thunder heard. Wasn't expecting any to be honest but see on the lightening app the strike was up past Swindon.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Same.Exmoor is very exposed.She's actually found an outdoor activity centre to shelter and has WiFi!

Can I just add she hasn't been randomly traipsing around Exmoor looking for shelter. The centre is well known to both of us as we book  it for school trips. We know the staff well and when the weather closed in she just asked id she could stay for the night!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Woo hoo, we seem to have got our own personal mini thunderstorm starting somewhere nearby...

image.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Woo hoo, we seem to have got our own personal mini thunderstorm starting somewhere nearby...

image.jpg

Yeah,I got a huge flash to my west,but that was it.As per,rain looks like it's intensifying as it crosses the Thames and hits the Chilterns.Maybe they'll have more luck in the Wycombe /Beaconsfield area

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Unreal squall moving through here with very strong winds and torrential rain. Very potent gusts which have sent bits of recycling into the street. Quite unexpected!

Posted
41 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Yeah,I got a huge flash to my west,but that was it.As per,rain looks like it's intensifying as it crosses the Thames and hits the Chilterns.Maybe they'll have more luck in the Wycombe /Beaconsfield area

I think it's all over, oh well...

Posted
Just now, Woollymummy said:

I think it's all over, oh well...

Yeah..it could have been the start of something, but it looks like it was just a bit of a cloudfart! Such is the nature of stormcasting I guess!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm leaving my curtains open tonight just in case any more turns up, it is still v warm outside, always hopeful!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Think theres a UFO above Walsall dropping rain as we've just had a heavy shower but nothing is showing on the radar anywhere near us.

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
2 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

Yeah..it could have been the start of something, but it looks like it was just a bit of a cloudfart! Such is the nature of stormcasting I guess!

Torro seems to think it was a supercell with tornado potential! 

Posted
7 hours ago, Mesoscale said:

Torro seems to think it was a supercell with tornado potential! 

Tiniest supercall exer! It did look like it had potential, but then seemed to lose intensity very rapidly. I though we were going to get a lot more from it looking at the approach on the radar, but it didn't amount to much in the end

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Yes, I saw that on the radar last night. A couple of strikes but after that activity seemed to have died. I was hoping that the recent high/low split to the east and west might have produced something but still stormless here from June. Very desperate now, and can't see anything on the horizon for the near future either. Been a pretty shoddy year for storms in these parts with the only noticeable activity being a night time storm in very early June and a day of constant thunder (but nothing else) a few days later. I'm hoping we get at least one decent storm this September as the season is rapidly drawing to a close now and soon I'll be chasing a different kind of storm (geomagnetic) as the nights draw in.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Plenty of time for storms before Autumn sets in. I have seen many good storms in September over the year.  Met office forecasts this for Middle of the month.........

"There is a risk of thundery conditions extending in from the continent."

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
On 05/09/2016 at 09:04, Tim Bland said:

Plenty of time for storms before Autumn sets in. I have seen many good storms in September over the year.  Met office forecasts this for Middle of the month.........

If not, maybe we can hope for some thudersnow in the winter? I've seen it twice before, both times at night. A great and very memorable experience. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
On 05/09/2016 at 09:04, Tim Bland said:

Errr no it's already Autumn. You still can get storms even in winter if the conditions are right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 07 Sep 2016 - 05:59 UTC Thu 08 Sep 2016

ISSUED 08:25 UTC Wed 07 Sep 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

As the Atlantic upper trough approaches, mid-level instability release is likely to lead to elevated convection, particularly this evening across parts of Ireland / W Northern Ireland, then migrating northwards across W Scotland overnight. True depth of instability is limited, and so it is questionable as to how much lightning activity may occur, but we have issued a low-end SLGT, given the strongly-sheared environment, to highlight the areas where lightning is more likely to occur tonight.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2016-09-07

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

the warmth fizzles out with a whimper yet again. Weird.

same as low levels (south) from the west, after any cold shot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ireland the place to be tonight storms moving north north west just now.

• Like 1

Posted

There is a band of what is forecast to be heavy heavy rain moving in from the north west after midnight Friday. Is this likely to be unstable enough to generate any lightning? Or, will it just be very heavy rain? 

What do you guys think with 36 to 40 hours still to go before it's due to arrive on mainland UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not seeing much storm potential over the next few days, but it looks like a potentially major rainfall event on Saturday (quelle surprise). May top my wettest day of the year total so far which is May 11th.