Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Air Frost watch season 2016-2017

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Low of -1.4'C here last night. Similar to Ravelin, I had a fun evening last night so wasn't awake until 10:30AM and didn't see anything frost. 

Posted
9 hours ago, Essex Easterly said:

-3.3°c 08:00 BST Tulloch Bridge
-2.8°c 07:00 BST Altnaharra Saws
-1.1°c 07:00 BST Loch Glascarnoch Saws
-1°c 06:00 BST Inverness / Dalcross
-0.8°c 08:00 BST Aviemore
-0.6°c 08:00 BST Strathallan

Air frosts this morning taken from the NW Top 20

Thanks for these stats, so we still await first air frost in England and Wales. Temperatures held up more than expected last night, not sure the reason for this. Tonight has more chance of producing a ground frost here, but I'm now only expecting a min of say 4 degrees. 

Posted

3.3C already here, hard to see what will stop it going very close to freezing over the next 8 hours or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

4.8c here currently, coldest so far this Autumn and it's only 11pm. Few spots at 2/3c across North Yorkshire, expecting quite a few places to go below freezing tonight.

Posted

-1c at 4am in couple of spots in the North York Moors, close to freezing in most places away from the hilltops across North Yorkshire.

Posted

-0.7C here currently, wouldn't be surprised if it drops a bit more at sunrise. (often happens mysteriously).
It's been below freezing since about 03:30 so quite white out there.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Currently sat on 1c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Air temp got down to 5c and ground was at 4.1c when I stepped out the door at 7am. Heating was fired up for an hour this morning as some rooms had dropped below 16c.

Posted
1 hour ago, 4wd said:

-0.7C here currently, wouldn't be surprised if it drops a bit more at sunrise. (often happens mysteriously).

I saw NYCCs Chopgate weather station fell to -1.1c at 5am, that's the coldest I could find this morning after yourself and Low Mill at -0.9c.

IMG_7462.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Overnight low hit - 1.5C around 7am this morning so my first air frost of the season. Grass white in places where the sun hadn't already got to it and I'd to dig out the scraper for the car windscreen. 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Bit of a different night here last night compared to britan,my overnight low was 11.1c lol 

Temps probably staying in double figures tonight for most.:nonono:

Edited by sundog

Posted

We had a min of 3.8C, just missing out on a ground frost. Considering we didn't drop below 8.9C in July, August or September (and below 10C only 11 times in total), that wasn't half bad.

Posted

4.3c and 4.1c this morning the slightest of ground frost in one patch this morning cooler than I expected past 2 nights.

Posted

I know this might not go with the exact definition from the title but we got out second air frost of the season last night with a low of -1.8C. Unexpected too as the forecast was for a low of around 6/7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Still a long way off here. Lowest temp in the forecast is 5C. A frost-free October isn't really unusual though, especially in recent years.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

As yet in the North Pennines where I live nothing below 4C as yet- tendency of cloud-cover to have come in on the few nights with potential for a frost that we have had!!

It is not at all inconceivable- even here- that October this year will be one of those with no air frosts at all: Despite the easterly winds we have had (and the same is true of those set to persist into next week) these have not been bringing cold air and (where we are) the air, moist having crossed the North Sea produces cloud as a result of it's forced uplift over the first major obstacles it reaches. This is especially so at night when there is the additional factor of nocturnal radiation cooling which, rather than being concentrated near the surface, is spread throughout the depth of the lower atmosphere. This week promises little different and fronts embedded in the easterly flow seem set to bring further cloud cover and then later in the week a depression moving into the English Channel is going to put paid to frosts for just about all of us anyway.

Btw, I do hate it when I have to observe that others have had frosts when none have occurred where I live! It's enough to make one sick with envy and, besides, those of us living in the Northern Hills like to think we get it colder than elsewhere- one of our selling points: Rather messes it up if we can't get below 4C whilst the North Tyne Valley in Northumberland (only 25 miles away) have already had their first air frosts and some of you report that it's been -1C on the North York Moors. That said, I do think we have too many Praying Mantris 'round where I live praying against the cold weather!!!!!!!!!:angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
On 10/3/2016 at 06:45, 4wd said:

@4wd Lucky you. I am SO Jealous!!! at the time of writing (9th October) I have YET to record anything below 4C. Too many people praying against the frost where I live, that must be it- so concerned about their precious dahlias.......IT'S OCTOBER!!

• Like 2

Posted
On 10/8/2016 at 01:10, cheese said:

Still a long way off here. Lowest temp in the forecast is 5C. A frost-free October isn't really unusual though, especially in recent years.

@cheese Yes, I know the feeling. I live in the North Pennines and have yet to see minima drop below 4C. Its a little disconcerting when one prides oneself on living in a cold part of the country and then a friend from Church (who lives in a lowland valley 25 miles away) tells you they have already had a vegetable-crop-killing air frost and one has only recorded a couple of slight ground frosts as yet. Talking of Church, my family and our Christian friends regularly pray against frost in autumn so that they can have their precious flowers into November (and God always seems to grant these bizarre requests). And I can hardly start telling our Christian friends they should stop praying against the frosts, so that we can have some decent Autumn weather (for a change) along with nice colours on the trees.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, iapennell said:

Btw, I do hate it when I have to observe that others have had frosts when none have occurred where I live! It's enough to make one sick with envy

Luck of the draw even with a bit of topographical help. I'm onto my 3rd frost of the month as it hit -0.8C overnight here and I don't think that one was forecast either (so out of 3 only one was forecast).