Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you put your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted

Some people must have draught problems if a brief outdoor single figure temperature makes it cold enough indoors for heating!

We didn't max above 27c here last week and have had a few nights into single figures this weekend, however the coldest part of the house (hallway near front door/stairs where the thermostat is) hasn't dropped below 21c!

Heating will not even be considered until that area drops to 16c and that will be unlikely until November.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Some people must have draught problems if a brief outdoor single figure temperature makes it cold enough indoors for heating!

We didn't max above 27c here last week and have had a few nights into single figures this weekend, however the coldest part of the house (hallway near front door/stairs where the thermostat is) hasn't dropped below 21c!

Heating will not even be considered until that area drops to 16c and that will be unlikely until November.

Yeah exactly. It's still a struggle to even attempt to get the house below 20c at the moment, as soon as the windows are shut it soon creeps up to around 22-23c again! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes there is quite a bit of latent heat in the house, not least due to sunshine at a lower angle than temperatures. We haven't had quite the roasting that the southeast has had but the house is still warm in September and quite often well into October. The only time I can remember having the heating on in the house was October 2008 and that was right at the end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Pregnant wife and little ones in the house may force my hand sooner than I'd like.  It's certainly not going on just yet though.  If it drops below 10° at night, I'll consider it

Posted

Northerly wind and drizzle all morning here makes lighting wood stove tempting - just a small fire in he evening, gives loads of free hot water for next morning too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Nope, with a cardie it was actually quite mild out, still have the window in the bedroom open at night, temp in room is 24C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Agree with some on here, it's still t-shirt and shorts weather for me here in Birmingham. If you're out and about 16C isn't cold at all.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Still not put any heating on since I moved back from Canada over 2 years ago..having said that I recently moved to an old 1860s small house from a nice new apartment..have to see how long I can last without heating being on?

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Still not put any heating on since I moved back from Canada over 2 years ago..having said that I recently moved to an old 1860s small house from a nice new apartment..have to see how long I can last without heating being on?

When I first moved to Canada I lived in aparatment - rarely had the heating on as had people above, below and to the side heating me. Only when it was minus 20 and below the fire would be on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
On 19/09/2016 at 15:49, Daryl Dixon said:

When I first moved to Canada I lived in aparatment - rarely had the heating on as had people above, below and to the side heating me. Only when it was minus 20 and below the fire would be on

My partners son never had his heating on. Lived in a block of flats and the heat from other departments cooking etc did the trick. Most of the time windows were open.

I'm sure as I've got older i turn it on sooner. Then its too hot, turn it off and open all the windows :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, stewfox said:

My partners son never had his heating on. Lived in a block of flats and the heat from other departments cooking etc did the trick. Most of the time windows were open.

I'm sure as I've got older i turn it on sooner. Then its too hot, turn it off and open all the windows :cc_confused:

I spent twenty-odd years acclimatising to the NW Highlands' climate, and it worked! Now, I'm sitting here, wearing no shirt with all the windies open. And I'm still sweating like a pig!:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I spent twenty-odd years acclimatising to the NW Highlands' climate, and it worked! Now, I'm sitting here, wearing no shirt with all the windies open. And I'm still sweating like a pig!:wallbash:

Then you must have an underlying problem...

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Then you must have an underlying problem...

Well I do like to exaggerate.:D

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well I do like to exaggerate.:D

Haha don't we all. It's quite an impressive feat to be sweating buckets with no shirt on in the present temperatures.

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haha don't we all. It's quite an impressive feat to be sweating buckets with no shirt on in the present temperatures.

TBH, I've never been able to re-acclimatise to the Southern English climate. So, the past few weeks' yo-yoing temperatures and often high humidity has been very taxing...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Nah not yet, i was tempted just to see if it booted up ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Heating on for 15 minutes again this morning with outside temp down to 6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
4 hours ago, Christopher said:

Heating on for 15 minutes again this morning with outside temp down to 6c.

Surely it all depends on your indoor temperature and not the time of year or outside values etc?

I turn mine on when it starts to fall below 16c ish in house which it has done in last week or so but an hour seems to rectify it enough at the moment when it does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

My house is the old metal framed and cant get the cavity insulation, any fluctuations in temperature makes the house too warm orr too cold respectively. Plus the daughter and wife always complaining they are too cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Not yet,just a fire on in the evenings.Temp did go down to 4.5 one night this week,but it really isn't cold enough yet.Our time will come!